Hairier in VR

Captain Orso

Good-god, how do you guys do it?

Yes, the thread title is my homage to bad Dad-Puns, but it appears to also be very true.

The AV-8B is my first modern aircraft in DCS, because... why not --maybe unbeknownst to myself, I'm a masochist.

But how do you even look at those switches on the far-back left side to read what they are or their settings? :huh: Even on the brightest day, it's too dark to read the labels, and requires the upmost concentration to recognize the switch position --I find myself lifting my left arm to try to peer down under it, like it was actually blocking my view within the virtual cockpit --I imagine it would look really weird to anyone watching me, if I unlocked my door and let anyone see what I'm up to. So what if I have a minor accident, and lay there until I die? At least it will be with dignity.

And you can't zoom-view into them, because they are at the lower edge of the HMD and zooming goes to the middle of the display, and I'd have to push my chin through my body to get the zoom onto those switches --they're basically straight down from my shoulder.

So I have to literally get out of my seat, to kneel on it and put my head over where the switch panel would be if I were in the actual aircraft, one hand on the throttle-thumb-hat to activate zoom, the other fumbling with the mouse trying to get the pointer into the zoomed view, and all the while the chair is swiveling to and fro and I keep hearing this voice in my head saying, "common Dad, we're bringing you to a nice quiet place where everything is better"... or at least if they keep the pills coming, you don't care anymore :huh:

Anyone else out there having a hairier experience in VR?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I'm pretty sure they are like that in real life too. I'm reading Joint Force Harrier just now and the author describes how he did some of the pre-flight standing on the ladders outside the cockpit as some of the switches and dials were too awkward to get at whilst seated inside.

Real pilots know where the switches are. So do VR pilots. We don't have a choice right now and it does make learning hard but once I got onto it, the Harrier was and is one of my favorite aircraft.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I'm pretty sure they are like that in real life too. I'm reading Joint Force Harrier just now and the author describes how he did some of the pre-flight standing on the ladders outside the cockpit as some of the switches and dials were too awkward to get at whilst seated inside.

I guess that means I'm getting the Real-Harrier-Experience™ :D

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Real pilots know where the switches are. So do VR pilots. We don't have a choice right now and it does make learning hard but once I got onto it, the Harrier was and is one of my favorite aircraft.

I hear you on that, but real pilots can feel the switches, and whether it's up/down/middle. We can only "see" it... maybe :huh:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

bunch of switches like that in most cockpits in VR, let Voice Attack be your friend for those hard to get at spots.

sooo... I have to learn how to program Voice Attack first to learn how to fly the Harrier? :cry: <- icon does not do justice to the amount of cry I require.

:juggle: <- things I need to learn the Harrier

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I hear you on that, but real pilots can feel the switches, and whether it's up/down/middle. We can only "see" it... maybe :huh:
You can also "feel" the switch when the cursor turns greens and locks to the switch.

You're in a swivel chair with a headset on, you don't have 30 pounds of flight equipment including a helmet, face mask, LPU, and combat lifesaving equipment all handing in your chest after having walked across the tarmac for. 5 miles in 110 degree heat, preflighting and climbing into, then strapping on the jet. All with the pressure of the rest of your flight rushing to make a takeoff time.

Haha. The struggle is all relative.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

You changed you're avatar just for me, didn't you...

attachment.php?attachmentid=198749&stc=1&d=1543264360

You can also "feel" the switch when the cursor turns greens and locks to the switch.

W-w-what? I've noted that when I left-clock on a dial, that the pointer is locked to the dial while I move the mouse, but what's with the switches? How and when is the mouse pointer locking on switches?

You're in a swivel chair with a headset on, you don't have 30 pounds of flight equipment including a helmet, face mask, LPU, and combat lifesaving equipment all handing in your chest after having walked across the tarmac for. 5 miles in 110 degree heat, preflighting and climbing into, then strapping on the jet. All with the pressure of the rest of your flight rushing to make a takeoff time.

Haha. The struggle is all relative.

AFK BRB - have to put some more ice in my ice tea

ROFL:ROFL:LOL:ROFL:ROFL:ROFL

..........___|___.........

...L..../.......[`\........

..LOL===........[__|.......

...L....\..........|.......

.........\_________/.......

...........|...|...........

..........————————/........

1225745091_HardCopy_20181126_213047-HairierinVR-EDForums.jpg.8948ec0ad2ad11b5c865faa96a911d28.jpg

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Well, we all have a choice. Put the time in and get good at it, or don't. Its up to you.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Start doing yoga so you can be a little more limber before loading in to the pit.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Start doing yoga so you can be a little more limber before loading in to the pit.

The zen of piloting the Harrier -- You do not fly the Harrier - you are the Harrier :pilotfly:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

The joys of VR. Lean forward so your face is in the HUD, reset your VR view (you'll need that mapped to a HOTAS button) and then lean back - puts you further back in the cockpit so you can 'look at' the switches, then once you've finished, reset your view again - works for me.

Only really necessary for the couple of switches near the back wall, lights and fuel dump switches.

That's.... that's.... cheating :huh: ... but I think it would probably work too. :thumbup:

I knew you could do that, but I never thought about doing it in this case :doh:

Many thanks :D

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

You’ll be glad when you’ve mastered it. Definitely one of my favourite aircraft to fly.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I'm used to flying warbirds, and although the Harrier is not supersonic, in comparison... it's pretty fast :D

I'm still trying to learn the startup-procedure :(

I've dug out ye ol' faithful KneeBoardBuilder to put Chuck's Guide into the knee board --bc flipping back and forth between DCS in VR and the Desktop to read the Chuck's Guide is a major PITA :mad: , but KBB won't position the knee board where I put it in the profile I setup for this :cry:

Has anyone out there gotten KBB to work with the HARRIER?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

The proper startup training mission is coming your way guys!

That is good to know! Thanks :thumbup:

There are several startup modes in the pocket guide. Will it cover all of them, or will there be one for each?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

PreFlight: Neck limbers, 5 rotations clockwise, 5 anticlockwise. Chin over right shoulder, chin over left shoulder, repeat x5. Shrugs shoulders forward x5, back x5. Then with back, extend furthest look over left shoulder, same with right. Finally looking up and down, with a careful rotation looking up.

Some of the switches under your elbows in the wall need a little holding the VR face mask to see, due to the limited FoV.

I can now get over my shoulder viewing during dogfighting, it takes a lot of effort, and it can be dangerous to do it fast, especially at the merge without a warmup.

Switches not a bother, start with labels and just repeat, it's like learning anything, it comes with repetition. Stick with it.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Dunno if its helpful. But the mig has a flashlight key ctrl-L or something like that. Maybe it can help.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Basically using Kula66's suggestion to lean way forward and then re-center the view, so that when you sit back normally your POV is way back, allowing you to more easily see the rearmost switches, plus turning on console and floodlights and then adjusting the rear floodlights above the console was the first step in putting me on my path to success.

I still feel that it's far too dark in the cockpit, as if very little ambient lighting from a clear blue sky were coming in, but I guess I've found a work-around for that ;)

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I've found it to be a little better than the hornet in VR. Really depends on your system. But the flir and map are heavy hitters. If you're having fps issues try turning those off

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift