Sea Eagle- How does it work?

dimitrischal

How to use the Sea Eagle DCS 2.5.4.25729

As per DCS 2.5.4.25729, see link below.

Launching works like the Kh-41 which was removed from the Su-33 like <=10 years ago (about DCS 1.1).

1. In the Mission Editor.

Select Sea Eagle in payload tab. Select Advanced (Waypoint Actions) in Route tab and choose Perform task-Attack Unit in the corresponding drop down lists. Select the unit to attack.

2. Start the mission.

Go weapons hot, select the Sea Eagle pylons.

Fly towards the target area and shoot, the missile has its own guidance (fire-and-forget), be sure you are within weapon range (around 60 NM, probably less, depending on launch altitude, etc.) and outside of ship’s weapons range.

Edited by pappavis

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

Does the target need to be a unit or does it target static objects as well?

I set up three cargo ships in my mission, and despite trying multiple times all I get is the missile flying true for most of the way, and then suddenly pitch up to 1k ft approx, and then suicide dive back down into the sea.

Otherwise im impressed with its terrain following. Even better than the rb15f :D

The quick guide document is confusing.

Does the waypoint with the action need to be at the launch point? or at the terminal popup point?

If it needs to be at the terminal pop-up point, do we need to estimate the ship position, and launch precisely aiming at that point?

I set up a mission with attack waypoint at starting ship point for AI, and at expected ship point for me....they got a hit, my missiles ran dumb.

I tried again with their waypoint setup, and missiles ran dumb.

Fly towards the target area and shoot, the missile has its own guidance (fire-and-forget), be sure you are within weapon range...

How realistic is this, firing off two expensive missiles with no idea what they are locking on to?

Edited by Django

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

How realistic is this, firing off two expensive missiles with no idea what they are locking on to?

From Wikipedia (for what it’s worth): “Once launched the Sea Eagle is completely autonomous, with the flight and target seeking completely controlled by the on-board computer system which functions according to programmable options covering a large set of cruise, search and attack options, including a simple, pre-programmed 'point and shoot' mode that allows it to be carried by basic aircraft without radar, using targeting information radioed to the pilot from external sources or even visually located by him, with the missile's short minimum range assisting this.

Other modes integrate with more sophisticated weapon systems and sensors and allow Sea Eagle to be programmed during flight by the parent aircraft using targeting data from the aircraft's on board radar sensors or via off-board data-link networks. 'Dog leg' routes can be programmed into the missile's computer to allow a salvo of missiles to arrive from different directions, saturating the target's defences. A twin-gyro attitude reference system, digital flight control computer and autopilot are used to give the missile an over-the-horizon capability.”

Edited by Tread_Head57

The quick guide document is confusing.

Does the waypoint with the action need to be at the launch point? or at the terminal popup point?

If it needs to be at the terminal pop-up point, do we need to estimate the ship position, and launch precisely aiming at that point?

I set up a mission with attack waypoint at starting ship point for AI, and at expected ship point for me....they got a hit, my missiles ran dumb.

I tried again with their waypoint setup, and missiles ran dumb.

In the image added to the Quick Guide you can see that the target is set at the first waypoint (waypoint 0).

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sigpic97175_2_small.pngAERGES-LOGO-sin_fondo_small.png

including a simple, pre-programmed 'point and shoot' mode

What are the programmed attack parameters? Perhaps a tutorial can iron these details out.

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Works the same with Viggen. You use radar to just find the target and measure distance from the target, not for guiding missiles to the target. You just drop them and missiles then fly towards the area a pick a target by their own internal logic. It could happen that all goes to one target or they split, it depends... either way you have no way how to affect t his from the plane. It is quite common. Usually you don't do pinpoint strikes with those aircraft and you are happy for every hit you can get.

There's a bit of discussion of it starting here ...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=222367&page=9

Consider the same path Heatblur has chosen for their Viggen - F10 map "Mar Label" function. They will also use for their F-14 - you will be able to create a mark on F10 map and then tell RIO to add its coordinates to nav computer. Some support for "Mark Label" is there, so why not use it? It is also the easiest way for players to specify any location over the battlefield.

Edited by _SeaFox_

Consider the same path Heatblur has chosen for their Viggen - F10 map "Mar Label" function. They will also use for their F-14 - you will be able to create a mark on F10 map and then tell RIO to add its coordinates to nav computer. Some support for "Mark Label" is there, so why not use it? It is also the easiest way for players to specify any location over the battlefield.

+1

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.