[REPORTED] Spitfire propeller with motion smoothing/ASW

Reflected

If you don't want to have to switch it off every time, and especially if you don't want to see the frozen image, you can modify the following file

Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Scripts\mainpanel_init.lua
line 43:

--mirrors_present = true;
mirrors_present = false;

That will give you a nice, black rearview mirror ;) It will be reverted on updates though, and you cannot switch it back on while in a mission.

It's also possible to switch off the mirrors of all modules from the main settings menu, in the Gameplay tab (it was mentioned before, just saw it).

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Low FPS confirmed and the culprit is most definitely the spinning prop animation. While I was flying I accidentally hit the ground with the prop which caused it to stop spinning but I was still gliding and FPS went back at stable 60 as always. I hope devs can sort that out soon.

• 2 weeks later...

High zoom

At high zoom through the hud I will fall brutally fps. It doesn't matter if čumál is directed to the ground or into the sky. It's about the animation of the propeller and some kind of graphic effect. Another module this does not suffer.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

If someone else hasn't already mentioned it, the propeller texture is one culprit, the other is that - if you dig into the cockpit textures folder - you'll notice this is one of the only (aside from the MiG-21 I think? I could be wrong) cockpits I've seen in DCS which has both a Specular and Normal Map texture channel (on top of the normal diffuse and alpha) built into the entire forward instrument panel and the vast majority of the rest of the cockpit.

For alot of PCs, even high end, all that additional normal mapping especially, when coupled with other acft rendering, AI, the propeller texture rendering, the terrain, exterior lighting etc - is the straw that breaks the camels back. I understand WHY ED chose to do normal mapping on the Spit cockpit, it looks great, but honestly with the normal map removed (flattened), the Spit cockpit gets much higher FPS right outta the gate and honestly doesnt looks THAT noticably different.

I could make a quick mod (or someone else could?) which replaces all cockpit normal maps with a flat texture (e.g. the entire Normal texture map is the same purple tone, meaning no relief mapping)

If someone else hasn't already mentioned it, the propeller texture is one culprit, the other is that - if you dig into the cockpit textures folder - you'll notice this is one of the only (aside from the MiG-21 I think? I could be wrong) cockpits I've seen in DCS which has both a Specular and Normal Map texture channel (on top of the normal diffuse and alpha) built into the entire forward instrument panel and the vast majority of the rest of the cockpit.

For alot of PCs, even high end, all that additional normal mapping especially, when coupled with other acft rendering, AI, the propeller texture rendering, the terrain, exterior lighting etc - is the straw that breaks the camels back. I understand WHY ED chose to do normal mapping on the Spit cockpit, it looks great, but honestly with the normal map removed (flattened), the Spit cockpit gets much higher FPS right outta the gate and honestly doesnt looks THAT noticably different.

I could make a quick mod (or someone else could?) which replaces all cockpit normal maps with a flat texture (e.g. the entire Normal texture map is the same purple tone, meaning no relief mapping)

Please do :)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Schwarzfeld, I haven't understood a single word from all that technical mumbo-jumbo, but If You can make such a quick mod, You'll make some people happy :D.

• Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I've made a mod using DXT 3 - much better FPS - who wants it?

That would be me :D

• Like 1

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Beat me to it. Well, I suppose I can do the delete-normals channel mod for the cockpit, let me know how the prop mod helps out. If that does the trick, there's no sense removing graphical fidelity from the cockpit textures. I have a 1070 onboard with oodles of RAM and an i7 so I don't see many FPS drops, so I had no idea this was an issue till I read this and tested it lol

• Like 1

picture.php?albumid=1305&pictureid=8575

Should be available soon - just uploaded.

Good luck. Works great for me.

'T'

Hi,

when I use the mod LRP fps got even worse and every 2s tearing animation of the propeller.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Thank you. The spinning prop texture is artistry more than realism, imo.

Instead of just overwriting, I made your mod JSGME ready:

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Maybe it's the fault of my new archive 52mb. Can you please possibly somewhere to upload the complete SpitfireIXc.zip thank you. Pet

Thank you. The spinning prop texture is artistry more than realism, imo.

Instead of just overwriting, I made your mod JSGME ready:

Not sure if this archive is right Gavagai. The files need to go into the SpitfireIX.zip folder in here:

\CoreMods\WWII Units\SpitfireLFMkIX\Textures\

• Like 1

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

Tyger is right, the version of JSGME does not work! Managed to upload only the internal winzip. When using winrar it won't work how I reacted the first time. The Mod is so effective :thumbup: that I can turn on my assembly mirror. I'm sorry, everybody for the mystification hi. Pet

Tyger is right, the version of JSGME does not work! Managed to upload only the internal winzip. When using winrar it won't work how I reacted the first time. The Mod is so effective :thumbup: that I can turn on my assembly mirror. I'm sorry, everybody for the mystification hi. Pet

File updated to reflect non JSGME compatibility.

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

dam too bad, i hope they can make it for JSGME. nice to be able to install and uninstall at the click of a button......:-)

• Like 2

P-51, 109K4, 190D9, Spitfire MK IX, Normady :joystick:

i7 7700K, 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, ASRock Z270 board, Corsair 1000w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 24”, 180Hz/1ms, G-SYNC Monitor, Trackir 5, mfg Crosswind pedals, TM warthog,

Not sure if this archive is right Gavagai. The files need to go into the SpitfireIX.zip folder in here:

\CoreMods\WWII Units\SpitfireLFMkIX\Textures\

Ah, I'll fix that later today. I looked at the readme and it wasn't totally clear where it should go. Thanks.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Ah, I'll fix that later today. I looked at the readme and it wasn't totally clear where it should go. Thanks.

awesome, let us know.......:-)

P-51, 109K4, 190D9, Spitfire MK IX, Normady :joystick:

i7 7700K, 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, ASRock Z270 board, Corsair 1000w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 24”, 180Hz/1ms, G-SYNC Monitor, Trackir 5, mfg Crosswind pedals, TM warthog,