[REPORTED] Spitfire propeller with motion smoothing/ASW

Reflected

Hi, I do not fly in VR, but I have noticed that for a month or 2 the Spit moving prop textures look really bad.

Spit-Prop-Texture-Issue.jpg

Now original file size for diffuse prop textures is around a 25% smaller. I know because I have a backup of an older version where they size around 21 mega each.

Anybody noticed this? I have uninstalled the module a couple of times and prop still seems really bad :helpsmilie:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes noticed - An ED team member said in a late patch note (not latest but just before) that this prop rendering has been reduced for the 190A8 for sake of performance and it's the exact same thing you see with the Spitfire : "Geometry of propeller edited in 2-4 LODs for better FPS performance" (I also see it but only have Spitfire since the free trial so I can't tell for what changed).

So it's very possible that the change has been applied to all WWII modules except Mustang.

I saw effectively with the A8 performances are a hair better but it didn't improve anything about ASW artefacts caused by propeller.

Hi, I do not fly in VR, but I have noticed that for a month or 2 the Spit moving prop textures look really bad.

Now original file size for diffuse prop textures is around a 25% smaller. I know because I have a backup of an older version where they size around 21 mega each.

Anybody noticed this? I have uninstalled the module a couple of times and prop still seems really bad :helpsmilie:

Yep, seems to be like that since 2.5.6 release. I made a thread about it:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=266974

It's probably some performance optimization attempt, but it went too far in my opinion.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

After a quick test (no VR here) of available WWII birds so far:

- Mustang,109 and Dora ( No artifacts, average cockpit FPS performance)

- I-16 and 190 A8 ("Subtle" artifacts, Bad cockpit FPS performance)

- Spitfire (Ugly artifacts, average cockpit FPS performance) Noticed no performance change with new "compressed" textures.

I had an old 2.5.2 install on my PC as well, so I just made an OvGME mod with old prop textures to turn them on or off when needed. You've got a backup too, so I suggest doing the same.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I had an old 2.5.2 install on my PC as well, so I just made an OvGME mod with old prop textures to turn them on or off when needed. You've got a backup too, so I suggest doing the same.

Indeed that's the first thing I did. Sadly even if moded texture folder is activated in OvGME, it works just the first time I run DCS after activating it...

After, I run it again, even if mod active, ugly prop comes back somehow.:joystick:

Also, not ideal as it does not pass integrity check, however as you point out, "best workaround" so far...

I made my mod in a form of complete re-packed SpitfireIXc.zip file (the one with all textures) which injects into Coremods location of the main game folder. Seems to work all the time that way.

Being offline player only, I forgot about IC though. Yes, that would be a problem for many guys.

I made my mod in a form of complete re-packed SpitfireIXc.zip file (the one with all textures) which injects into Coremods location of the main game folder. Seems to work all the time that way.

Being offline player only, I forgot about IC though. Yes, that would be a problem for many guys.

I will try with all textures then. Thanks for the tip :].