VR won't go above 30fps?

hazzer

I've noticed latest update has worse performance although it looks better even with MSSA off (PD 1.2), no shadows. With persian gulf or normandy maps theres a terrible stutter without motion smoothing, and with it way more artifacts when spinning around. Much better on vegas and Caucasus but seems like something is worse with one of the latest updates. More basestation flashes when planes take damage as well. An old problem but seems to be worse now. Might try the stable branch.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I've noticed latest update has worse performance although it looks better even with MSSA off (PD 1.2), no shadows. With persian gulf or normandy maps theres a terrible stutter without motion smoothing, and with it way more artifacts when spinning around. Much better on vegas and Caucasus but seems like something is worse with one of the latest updates. More basestation flashes when planes take damage as well. An old problem but seems to be worse now. Might try the stable branch.

You should be able to have much higher settings with that

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Having the same issue here. VR performance degraded completely after the release of 2.5.4.

Used to get 45 to 90fps with VR preset + terrain and cockpit texture settings turned to high + PD 1.5.

Now I'm lucky if I can get > 30fps with all settings turned to their lowest.

Non-VR performance is unaffected.

Tried every trick I've learnt in the last three years of playing DCS to no avail.

I'd actually given up on playing in VR entirely until I saw this thread.

Setup:

Oculus CV1

i7 4770K overclocked to 4.6GHz

16GB RAM

SSD

GTX 1080ti

Having the same issue here. VR performance degraded completely after the release of 2.5.4.

Used to get 45 to 90fps with VR preset + terrain and cockpit texture settings turned to high + PD 1.5.

Now I'm lucky if I can get > 30fps with all settings turned to their lowest.

Non-VR performance is unaffected.

Tried every trick I've learnt in the last three years of playing DCS to no avail.

I'd actually given up on playing in VR entirely until I saw this thread.

Setup:

Oculus CV1

i7 4770K overclocked to 4.6GHz

16GB RAM

SSD

GTX 1080ti

Have you tried turning off shadows completely? I know it's a ridiculous compromise but try it and see if it's back to how it used to be.

Also could you submit a report ticket? I did and I was just told that that's how it is. But if more people do it then maybe they will actually look into this.

Because it clearly is a problem

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Have you tried turning off shadows completely? I know it's a ridiculous compromise but try it and see if it's back to how it used to be.

Also could you submit a report ticket? I did and I was just told that that's how it is. But if more people do it then maybe they will actually look into this.

Because it clearly is a problem

Wait, are you saying that the official response from the official support was "We are not going to fix this ever"?

i7-8700K, GTX 1080Ti, 2x16Gb DDR4, 250Gb Evo 970 NVMe, 1Tb Evo 970 NVMe, HTC Vive Pro, BRD-F3, VPC MongoosT-50 base, grip and throttle

This is the response I got, I have tried to explain that this isn't just a me issue and that with my pc this shouldn't be a problem

20190311_185017.thumb.jpg.49a1c05532acdc5984d0863e7d01f1b4.jpg

Is it possible a recent windows update is responsible or something? I may just not have noticed it until I noticed it, but I never had this problem until very recently...

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Is it possible a recent windows update is responsible or something? I may just not have noticed it until I noticed it, but I never had this problem until very recently...

I don't know, it appears to have come in dcs versions. If Windows was the cause wouldn't other games and other flight Sims in vr suffer as well? I know my Sims have been better than ever other than dcs

It has been there since 2.5.4. 2.5.3 runs just fine with latest updates to Windows, and 2.5.4 still doesn't. The latest incarnation of 2.5.4 has improved performance a little bit, but its still horrible compared to 2.5.3, and there doesn't appear to be any graphics setting that makes it happy. As a last resort, I tried dropping my pixel density from 2.0 to 1.0, and the peformance still sucked just as bad.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Even if you stick all settings to low so it looks like Minecraft you still have awful performance. Would be be nice if we could get this reported now

It does seem as if VR seems to be an unwelcome nuisance to the ED developers at times! The latest update wrecked my framerates at low level. Sticking to high altitude dogfights for now... Hoping they will fix this!

There was a point where I could have shadows on high and everything looking great but now it's not possible and it's not even been recognised.:mad:

Just read this thread and yup +1 to everything said here, very annoying. :(

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Dcs only uses two cores (one for computations, and the other for audio) On a multiple core cpu it won’t go above what two cores are using. If you have three cores your cpu usage would be 66% MAX. I have six cores and it rarely goes above 35-38%. If your GPU isn’t being maxed out then you likely have a bottle neck on your CPU. Or so I have been told.

| CyperPower PC | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ 4.4 GHz | 64Gb DDR4 3200 MHz | Radeon RX 5700 8Gb | 32" Samsung Curve| Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster T160000 HOTAS + Rudder Pedals | Windows 10-64 |

Dcs only uses two cores (one for computations, and the other for audio) On a multiple core cpu it won’t go above what two cores are using. If you have three cores your cpu usage would be 66% MAX. I have six cores and it rarely goes above 35-38%. If your GPU isn’t being maxed out then you likely have a bottle neck on your CPU. Or so I have been told.

I think that is correct re DCS AFAIK however Windows 10 can spread the core load out I don't know how but I'm getting usage over 50% with DCS using about the same DCS usage hitting 35+ on peaks, total usage is now hitting over 50%

(That total usage is up from maybe 40% after the latest Win update Win 9 build 1030!) .

I'm currently using a 9600K 32GB build with 2080Ti and DCS 2.5.4.27430 Stable, in NTTR and Caucasus maps I'm getting 45 to 90FPS with the best looking DCS Rift graphics I've seen in DCS for some time now.

I avoid the PG and Normandy maps as currently there rubbish as far as VR performance goes and are way too resource hungry and the PG map just has plain weirdness built into it. IMHO As those maps are paid content they really need some work done to them.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 2 weeks later...

WHEN will ED start to improve VR-performance as they promised some weeks ago?!

It seems DCS-VR-performance is getting worse with every uptade they push out.:(

I did not have less than 45fps for most of the time since I am using oculus rift, but now I can not get much more than 30fps on the caucasus map where I used to have smooth 45fps a few updates ago.:helpsmilie:

It's just getting worse and worse and it starts to get really annoying now!:mad:

ED, PLEASE start optimizing DCS for VR or stop promising things you can't do!!!

Edited by JumpinK
typos

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

WHEN will ED start to improve VR-performance as they promised some weeks ago?!

It seems DCS-VR-performance is getting worse with every uptade they push out.:(

I did not have less than 45fps for most of the time since I am using oculus rift, but now I can not get much more than 30fps on the caucasus map where I used to have smooth 45fps a few updates ago.:helpsmilie:

It's just getting worse and worse and it starts to get really annoying now!:mad:

ED, PLEASE start optimizing DCS for VR or stop promising things you can't do!!!

+1