Open beta,really?

exile2256

So you expected someone to do their due diligence and actually RESEARCH to make sure this isn't normal operating procedure before they engaged in useless quibbling armageddon? That was your first mistake right there.

This used to always amuse me to some extend but now, I'm coming to a conclusion that manufacturers that put a pictographs like those showing to NOT put pets or any live animals to refrigerators or babies to the back pocket of the baby trolley might not be actually doing anything silly. They must have done their homework right, probably studying cases from forums like this.

ED module description pages should really use the experience from pictographs like these:

funny-warning-signs-9.jpg

e60bc614c4293aafa2ea2b3d83a0b100--parenting-tips-parenting-humour.jpg

We just need one saying "Early Access Modules" releases on "Beta".

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

ED module description pages should really use the experience from pictographs like these:

funny-warning-signs-9.jpg

e60bc614c4293aafa2ea2b3d83a0b100--parenting-tips-parenting-humour.jpg

We just need one saying "Early Access Modules" releases on "Beta".

Yep... "Open Beta Only!" should be written in big fat letters on the top of the page...

I don't see why anyone's making a big deal out of it the openbeta is pretty much the same. It's easy to convert them.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I was more confused than anything :huh:

You’d have to first know DCS’ and EDs development practices, before being able to understand the release date. It’s made even more complicated, when introducing a third party company into the mix.

Not that complicated...just sayin

You DO NOT need to use a command line, I have both builds installed. The Updater automatically copies over any redundant files you have currently installed from release to beta and vice versa.

The OP could have done this in less time than it took to write his post. The Open Beta is there for a reason and ED has the reasons plastered all over their website when you buy their products. I don't see how they could make this any more clear without forcing you to acknowledge it every time you open DCS World on your computer.

He'll probably come on here later today complaining about bugs and crashes in the wrong forum without including any useful information to diagnose the bug.

“Poor form” is the correct phrase. Anyway enough of this. I’m off to get open beta.

Eagle dynamics and other associatied developers: It would be nice, if this was made clearer in the future. A consumer should not have to dig through forums, to find out when their cool new jet is actually available (or more accurately, it’s not going to be on the main branch at the promoted date).

She does look excellent from what I’ve seen though. Well done HB devs on the product itself.

Lol...maybe you should read their store page before just jumping into it and buying it. I bet your one of those complainers

OK So the white knighting of the tomcat is irritating, not so much here, but other forums where downvotes are a thing, but this is stupid.

This should be moved to DCS, or closed with explanation. Heatblur doesn't have control of this. Every module, every new feature, 3rd part or ED, goes through open beta. HB can't release EA module direct to Stable.

Moreover, I don't know how you play DCS without OB. Virtually every MP server runs OB, and of course if you fly EA modules its nice to access whatever the new toy of the week is. Go grab skatezilla's application, makes it super easy to manage.

If you are on a terrible connection then I understand being frustrated, but even then, not HB fault.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

"What is DCS World Early Access?

Early Access is an option for you to play this module in an early state, but it will be incomplete with bugs. The time a product remains in Early Access can vary widely based on the scope of the project, technical hurdles, and how complete the module is when it enters Early Access. Eagle Dynamics and all of our third parties strive to make this period as short as possible. An Early Access module can be played on both the Open Beta and Release versions of DCS World. Once the module exits Early Access, you will automatically have the Release version."

This is the notice on the product page.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 (64) - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core - 32 GB RAM - RTX 2080 Super

I didn't notice the part about the need for the Open Beta in the pre-purchase page and I didn't switch to OB, so I'm doing it now, although the download speed is like 50-100 times slower than usual; I guess ED's servers are very busy for the release of the F14.

There was a warning on the pre-purchase page; I can't deny it.

I just think that, considering how everybody is excited about this new awesome module and considering how quickly people started to pre-purchase in the first day in which it was possible to do so, HeatBlur could have warned people better, for instance by writing in bold "make sure to have the OB version" in the first post of the thread whereby they published the release date.

Not a tragedy, though: I will just start using it another day.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

New modules are always released on the open beta branch before stable.

Open a command prompt, go to the \dcs world\bin\ folder and type

dcs_updater.exe update @openbeta

It's that simple.

Guys there is an "Update DCS World Open Beta" in your start folder. It only checks automatically every 24 hours or so. No command prompt necessary.

Edit: I might have misread this but there is no need to force an update regardless, it's in the Eagle Dynamics folder of your start menu.

Just keep it simple stupid (KISS) and download the .exe from the DCS website and let it do the work for you. That's the way Yeager would've done it.

Having to use the command line might have been true at one time but ED updates their updater with new features.

Edited by Sn8ke_iis
clarification on installation versus updating

I'll just reiterate what Sn8ke_iis said. I'm installing the open beta right now without using any command prompt. The updater detects the files I already have from stable version and then adds the ones I don't for open beta.

I'd really prefer not to have both installed since it doubles the used space on my SSD but at least for now that's what I'll do and probably get rid of open beta later.

If you're not confident using the command prompts then don't bother, it might mess up your whole install then you really will have to download 60gb.

So you expected someone to do their due diligence and actually RESEARCH to make sure this isn't normal operating procedure before they engaged in useless quibbling armageddon? That was your first mistake right there.

Reading a game requirements before purchasing has been a thing since day 1 on PC video game my friend, and it clearly states at the bottom where requirements are you needed open beta. If someone doesn't read infos before purchasing something that the company stated, don't blame them for not reading. Welcome to 2019, click without readings, not surprising why there is so much viruses going on, hackers knows people aren't reading or paying attention before clicking stuff :)

well since I was hoping same about it being in the stable version I had the OB downloaded a long time ago. How can I download the OB again, put in and overwrite and play the OB for now? Sorry if its a dumb question. I'de like to do this without messing with my stable version

ASUS ROG Strix Helios Case - ASUS AM4 ROG Strix X-570E MB - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 64 GB DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series - ASUS DualGeForce GTX 1070 - SSD 2x 1TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Home -

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster TPR Pedels - TrackIR