Someone help me figure out how DLC works?

razorseal

Hey guys,

I searched the forum on use of DLC but no good guideline on how to use it. (what does it stand for? lol)

I have it set to a slider (rotary knob accessible by my thumb on the stick) and also a 4 way switch (forward and aft). Trying to figure out which I prefer.

That being said, I see the slats move when I use it in cruise, but during approach (I guess this is when you use it) the slats are fully extended and I don't see them moving. What am I doing wrong?

I think it lets the plane drop back on glideslope quickly? What does it exactly do and how does it do it?

I hope someone makes a video of this thing. I hear alot about it, but I can't figure out how to use it. lol

Thanks!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Not that much to it. Gear down, flaps down, activate DLC (separate switch), then you can play with up/down controls. You will see on the HUD in landing mode, that flight path marker moves up/down without any pitch or power changes.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Basically, when you engage DLC the inboard spoilers extend halfway. In the real Tomcat you then have a scrollwheel (similar to the one on your computer mouse) that is spring loaded to the neutral position. When you scroll it up (or away from you) the spoilers get fully extended proportional to the scroll travel, once you release the DLC wheel it spring loads back to the neutral position and returs the spoilers to the middle position. Same applies when you scroll down (towards you), which retracts the spoilers until they are flush with full wheel deflection. It literally does exactly what it says, it directly controls the amount of lift those big spread wings are generating.

Edited by Airhunter

I will try this again tomorrow. when I was doing it, all I saw was the leading edge slats moving. not the spoilers. this was in the gear up conf.

with gear and flaps down, I didn't see anything move. I have it assigned on a rotary axis, and also buttons.

It's a form of variable geometry for the shape of the wings but may not be as intuitive as wing sweep nor is it automated. It is also not just for landing. It generally changes the lift, stall, AOA characteristics of the wing. Watch the indicator just above the landing gear handle when you lower flaps, raise flaps, and play with the DLC/maneuver flaps. In DLC mode you can see the small pair of spoilers move. I've flown just about every aircraft in DCS except helos. It's a new stick and rudder skill for me too. I'm accustomed to controlling glide and descent with power/throttle. It's absolutely amazing how maneuverable this big a fighter is. I put 10gs on her last night without ripping the wings off. There's no fly by wire governor for g's.

Edited by Sn8ke_iis

so is it best to assign this to a rotary knob? If I assign buttons to it you only get full/half/closed. That doesn't seem to have the fine control its designed for. I'm only asking because I had my only rotary assigned to something else.

It is actually Direct Lift Control. NATOPS info:

DLC is engaged with the control stick DLC switch and commanded by the thumbwheel. The thumbwheel is spring loaded to a neutral position. Forward rotation of the wheel extends spoilers and aft rotation retracts them proportionally to the degree of thumbwheel rotation. Absolute spoiler

deflection is dependent upon lateral stick position.

It was actually used on the L-1011 Tristar passenger airliner in a pretty cool way - on approach you enabled DLC and then any fwd or aft movement of the control column just adjusted the spoiler deployment appropriately, so the elevator didn't actually move and there was no change in aircraft pitch during approach. Pretty nifty system.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]