Dynamic Cockpit System

VampireNZ

Was just wondering when the new 'Dynamic Cockpit System' mentioned in the 'Official' advertising video from the F-14 sales page - where the cockpit changes, including weathering, based on the airframe you are in will be implemented. Will this be on the F-14? Looking forward to those dynamically evolving seat cushions. I imagine the 'weathering' mentioned will take care of the unreadable cockpit labels too.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/tomcat/ 05:24

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This will be re-implemented ASAP. Currently the blocking item is volatile VRAM handling in DCS (all dynamic elements get loaded at start, leading to OOM issues).

I imagine the 'weathering' mentioned will take care of the unreadable cockpit labels too.

Cockpit labels won't change from cockpit to cockpit. Dynamic texture weathering is impossible in DCS.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

This will be re-implemented ASAP. Currently the blocking item is volatile VRAM handling in DCS (all dynamic elements get loaded at start, leading to OOM issues).

Cockpit labels won't change from cockpit to cockpit. Dynamic texture weathering is impossible in DCS.

Cheers Cobra. Hmm ok - so when it says "panel locations, weathering, details..and even the type of seat cushions will change" - if you can't change the textures as you mention, does this mean some other type of weathering/change?

I just remember watching this vid for the first time the other day (don't remember seeing that particular advertisement/description vid before during the 'build-up'), and a few things mentioned surprised me...

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WHen will the F-14A be ready

:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cheers Cobra. Hmm ok - so when it says "panel locations, weathering, details..and even the type of seat cushions will change" - if you can't change the textures as you mention, does this mean some other type of weathering/change?

I just remember watching this vid for the first time the other day (don't remember seeing that particular advertisement/description vid before during the 'build-up'), and a few things mentioned surprised me...

Well then, this seems quite... contradicting.

When this was announced after their Heatblur FORGE thing with the new workflow and development techniques, they said every cockpit would be dynamic. But since HB have chosen to have high quality (and literally big sized) files for the texturing in the cockpit, it bottlenecks the VRAM that people have. So now having this LOD action kind of thing in the cockpit every flight (or at least preference in settings) would just hurt the user more.

Fingers crossed still on the pilot body though!

Well then, this seems quite... contradicting.

When this was announced after their Heatblur FORGE thing with the new workflow and development techniques, they said every cockpit would be dynamic. But since HB have chosen to have high quality (and literally big sized) files for the texturing in the cockpit, it bottlenecks the VRAM that people have. So now having this LOD action kind of thing in the cockpit every flight (or at least preference in settings) would just hurt the user more.

Fingers crossed still on the pilot body though!

Ram AND vram are pretty much maxed in most modules in dcs, not only in the f14...whats more, the ratio quality/ram usage-performance of the tomcat is EONS ahead of all modules at the moment so not sure what you are saying about "contradicting"...HB just went the quality way WHILE making a great work making things perfectly playable from a performance perspective...the hornet maxes out all my 8gb of vram and uses same amount of my 32gb ram as the map and units in the mission are WAY more demanding than the cockpit/exterior textures in pretty much any situation. I really cant understand the bashing for this kind of things to the ONLY guys that really made an incredible effort to bring us an unmatched quality product way ahead of the rest...really cant understand it...it is so sad.

extreme_facepalm.png

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

I was siding with your story, not against it. "Contradicting" as in this.

"panel locations, weathering, details..and even the type of seat cushions will change"

Heatblur promised this, and since the launch, they found out that DCS handles VRAM usage poorly with texture maps and the uncompression of audio files for JESTER. I have 24 GB of DDR4 RAM and 21.5 GB of VRAM. So I am curious about how they are going to do this with this limitation as a factor. So no, I was not bashing.

I really cant understand the bashing for this kind of things...really cant understand it...it is so sad.

No one is bashing HB here - so whats with the unnecessarily hyperbolic facepalm meme??

Personally I asked the questions because as I stated I just happened to watch the advertising video on the F-14 DCS Store page which I can't remember seeing beforte, and was wondering if some of the Dynamic Cockpit stuff they mentioned is still happening - as it seemed pretty cool.

If you hadn't noticed by my avatar/sig pic etc. I am quite the fan of the F-14 Tomcat, and HB have done an amazing job - I absolutely love the aircraft.

So was just a question to HB from a HB soopa-fan about my most loved ED aircraft. Ok?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just want piss stains on the seat so I can yell at the crew chief... Or is that coming in the carrier mod?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

If it's impossible to have a "global" or "smart" dynamic weathering, why not adding them to some planes liveries (description.lua) ? It *seems* to work properly with the tiger (but it's a much 'lighter' module than the cat, I agree).

What about having a (almost) perfectly clean cockpit on the default textures then adding the weathering to the DECAL layer ? Or simply loading a different set of cockpit diffuse textures from each livery's .lua?

How hard would it be ? As much, technically for HB as for our (V)RAM ?

I've seen lots of year-specific liveries, so it should allow to make a difference between a 1975 tomcat and a 2004 one.

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index