Cockpit sounds like this...

Thacyoon

Sorry but you are not correct here. Sound is a physical phenomenon, and the world is plenty of tools, measurers and math models to describe it correctly.

Just to state it better: SOUND IS NOT SUBJECTIVE, sound is something you can measure, model and reproduce accurately.

Some people like some sound mods that I personally feel bad for. And which, in my opinion, have nothing to do with reality. But they like them, and this is their choice.

Ah, I see the problem here, OttoPus mean that using the right equipment to record/analyses and right code simulating real world sound, we can reproduce exactly what a real pilot hear, the same sound.

While btd talk about what people feel is right and think is the proper sound.

This is a dead end since even the perfect reproduction of what we hear, if someone never experience it, might feel it is unrealistic and another sound which is actually unrealistic might feel better and realistic.

And on the other hand, even if we could find the sound that feel exactly the way we think it should be (tho everyone have its own conception of the thing, therefor making it impossible, as the concept of perfectly, it is subject to each person's tastes) it won't be how it sound in reality.

Also reproducing perfectly what a real pilot hear is technically difficult and depending on the sound phenomenon we want to reproduce could be resources hungry, so the best solution is probably a mix of the two :

Real world sound recorded the best as possible with a sound code which don't task too much computing power, and tweaking what can't be simulated for what feel like the most realistic end result.

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

I apologize, it seems we are a bit confused. Indeed, we can try to reduce the overall volume for the camera F2, F3 .... And keep F1 as it is. It will not be a cheat. :)

Thanks, let's try

PLEASE PLEASE do it! I can't tell you how many times I almost became deaf playing DCS... It will be a huge quality of life improvement and I don't see how we've gone so long without such a basic feature. Please add it :thumbup:

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Almost complete, we check the latest possible errors. I hope you get it soon.

Gimme gimme!

:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

Well guys if this is filmed with gopro or similar, which unless outside of it's enclosure which has the clips so it can be attached, is made for water proofing, means there is no direct air contact, rendering the audio completely invalid for such a purpose.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Well guys if this is filmed with gopro or similar, which unless outside of it's enclosure which has the clips so it can be attached, is made for water proofing, means there is no direct air contact, rendering the audio completely invalid for such a purpose.

Have you read all the comments in this thread?

What about this:

The sounds from that video is about the same sounds I heard with earplugs and helmet. I suspect the option to "hear like helmet" would match pretty closely.

However, I do agree that we need louder engine/afterburner sounds in DCS than the video. I don't only wanna hear wind/buffeting/vibration sounds...and no engine/RPM sounds. We CAN hear the engine in the video, but it is very low. The engine/rpm sounds in DCS F-16C needs to be a little boosted compared to that video in my opinion. We can't go 101% realistic!!111!!!!

Edited by Thacyoon

Have you read all the comments in this thread?

What about this:

However, I do agree that we need louder engine/afterburner sounds in DCS than the video. I don't only wanna hear wind/buffeting/vibration sounds...and no engine/RPM sounds. We CAN hear the engine in the video, but it is very low. The engine/rpm sounds in DCS F-16C needs to be a little boosted compared to that video in my opinion. We can't go 101% realistic!!111!!!!

You can't "hear" the low engine hum, it translates through vibration and your skeleton. The closest would be bodyshakers with infrasonic sound, or forcefeedback like the Jetseat. The "engine sounds" in any sim either enhance/exaggerate the volume and/or frequencies similar to a Hollywood movie to make up for the lack of vibration, or they try to reproduce the audible part transmitted over the air and separate different sources, adjustable through volume sliders, like DCS does.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

You can't "hear" the low engine hum, it translates through vibration and your skeleton. The closest would be bodyshakers with infrasonic sound, or forcefeedback like the Jetseat. The "engine sounds" in any sim either enhance/exaggerate the volume and/or frequencies similar to a Hollywood movie to make up for the lack of vibration, or they try to reproduce the audible part transmitted over the air and separate different sources, adjustable through volume sliders, like DCS does.

Just out of curiosity as I don't own one, but could DCS replicate it with a Buttkikcer ?

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

Just out of curiosity as I don't own one, but could DCS replicate it with a Buttkikcer ?
Buttkickers split the low frequency audio from the sound and amplifies it (much like a subwoofer). Then it powers a transducer which creates vibration/low frequency bass either in the seat/sofa or in a backpack attached to you... depends on the system. It works with the existing sound, so all in-game bass is "enhanced" and can be felt. Much like in a large Cinema, where the sound is powerful enough to resonate in your body.

The Gametrix Jetseat or Realtus stuff does interface with DCS via export functions and the SimShaker software from f4l0, so it emulates stall vibrations, airbrake rattling, taxiway bomps when rolling, etc. through vibro-pads thus giving you a haptic feedback to specific events/effects in DCS, but it doesn't per se boost the sound. It can use vibration to simulate engine operation, but for the powerful engine rumble the buttkicker may be the better option. Though you could combine both... :)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I have a large subwoofer directly under my seat and that works very well in Prepar3D using the F-16 regarding vibration/sounds :) So if the DCS F-16 will have low bass (rumbling) sounds it will work well in DCS to.

My "seat" is a recaro car seat, and I have a custom built HOTAS cockpit.

Buttkickers split the low frequency audio from the sound and amplifies it (much like a subwoofer). Then it powers a transducer which creates vibration/low frequency bass either in the seat/sofa or in a backpack attached to you... depends on the system. It works with the existing sound, so all in-game bass is "enhanced" and can be felt. Much like in a large Cinema, where the sound is powerful enough to resonate in your body.

The Gametrix Jetseat or Realtus stuff does interface with DCS via export functions and the SimShaker software from f4l0, so it emulates stall vibrations, airbrake rattling, taxiway bomps when rolling, etc. through vibro-pads thus giving you a haptic feedback to specific events/effects in DCS, but it doesn't per se boost the sound. It can use vibration to simulate engine operation, but for the powerful engine rumble the buttkicker may be the better option. Though you could combine both... :)

Thanks for the info, it would be awesome if the buttkicker could also work with export functions, tho I understand that making it just amplify low frequency sound make it automatically compatible with any games and movies.

Maybe one day we will have a gamins chair with vibro pad and buttkicker like integrated to it, and it would even double as a massage chair :lol:

I have a large subwoofer directly under my seat and that works very well in Prepar3D using the F-16 regarding vibration/sounds :) So if the DCS F-16 will have low bass (rumbling) sounds it will work well in DCS to.

My "seat" is a recaro car seat, and I have a custom built HOTAS cockpit.

Nice setup, I guess it feel the same as buttkicker, but isn't it too loud to produce enough vibrations ?

Thanks for the info, it would be awesome if the buttkicker could also work with export functions, tho I understand that making it just amplify low frequency sound make it automatically compatible with any games and movies.

Maybe one day we will have a gamins chair with vibro pad and buttkicker like integrated to it, and it would even double as a massage chair

Nice setup, I guess it feel the same as buttkicker, but isn't it too loud to produce enough vibrations ?

SimShaker software already allows to use both Jetseat AND/OR a buttkicker or a transducer with a separate amplifier... It's also possible to use normal audio as "trigger" for the Jetseat, but of course this does only rattle a bit. You will find more info in the SimShaker thread, about how the transducer setup works.

EDIT ...and the jetseat actually has a massage option, though it is not really comparable to a full blown Shiatzu massage chair, of course. ;)

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Not the F-16 in P3D since I can have aircraft/world sounds output to my 5.1 system and ATC output to my wireless headphones :)

Wish I could do the same in DCS

Edited by Thacyoon

• 9 months later...

This "real" versus "feedback" sound issue comes up all the time. Neither viewpoint is wrong; some folks want a studio sound cockpit, while others, very reasonably, point out that they can't feel the real plane, (I'm looking at you, CAP) and so need that extra "fake" sound to fly right. Maybe what the sim needs is a separate feedback sound channel with a checkbox in special options so everyone is happy. :)

Not the F-16 in P3D since I can have aircraft/world sounds output to my 5.1 system and ATC output to my wireless headphones :)

Wish I could do the same in DCS

You can do this now in the 2.5.5 OpenBeta. New features in the audio options...

Shagrat

Hi!

Sound (especially in cockpit) is the one of the best achievements of this sim and is one of the most realistic stuff.

I don't think it would be smart to ruin it with "Hollywoodian" effects which would be completely faked and wrong.

Do not confuse immersion/feedback and action movies.

Regards.

This "real" versus "feedback" sound issue comes up all the time. Neither viewpoint is wrong; some folks want a studio sound cockpit, while others, very reasonably, point out that they can't feel the real plane, (I'm looking at you, CAP) and so need that extra "fake" sound to fly right. Maybe what the sim needs is a separate feedback sound channel with a checkbox in special options so everyone is happy. :)

In reference to watching the OP video that is just WAY more than you hear when wearing earplugs and wearing the helmet. Put earplugs and a helmet muffle onto that gopro then we can talk about how real it sounds.

For Cav yeah I get both sides of the discussion. We definitely miss the feedback that is just natural in the real deal like AB and dropping bombs. I fly the F/A-18 the most at the moment but for me to know I'm in AB I have to look at fuel flow. To know I've actually dropped a bomb I have to look at the DDI or see the aircraft start rolling due to the now assymetrical load out. So for some bits I can see why some of these sounds are desired but in relation to people who (like the OP) just take the full sounds of the cockpit and say give me that it is just over the top and beyond real at that point. Like several other bits I think what you are suggesting is a good point. Just install it as an option for the sound freaks who must have it and the rest can ignore it.