Stutter/judder when looking out the side and double vision - any fixes?

parxuk

I love the immersion that the Rift S gives me and since the latest update I have much improved performance and no static white flashes, however there are still a few points which aren't great and wondered if it was just my rig or if its a general VR issue? If any one can offer any remedies I would be most grateful.

When looking out of the cockpit directly to the side, any building/scenery/trees etc tend to stutter/judder as I go past. Everything looks great if I look directly out of the front or slightly to the side, but if I turn my head 90 degrees it gets choppy.

Also if in a dogfight and looking to the side or behind me the enemy aircraft look blurred, almost like I have double vision, they certainly aren't sharp.

Any suggestions to fix gratefully received.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Is this ASW artifacts that you’re seeing?

What is your FPS?

Don’t know if you are familiar with how the Oculus software works, but if the game can’t maintain a full 80 FPS, the ASW feature will force it down to 40 FPS, and then create fake frames to fill up the missing 40 frames, every second. This means that the software will have to extrapolate from the previous two frames, to create the next frame and this will cause some graphical artifacts that may present themselves as judder.

Try turning ASW off by pressing CTRL KeyPad 1.

Here are the associated shortcuts.

CTRL+KP1 - Disable ASW

CTRL+KP2 - Force apps to 45hz, DISABLE ASW

CTRL+KP3 - Force apps to 45hz, ENABLE ASW

CTRL+KP4 - Enable ASW to operate automatically

Is this ASW artifacts that you’re seeing?

What is your FPS?

Don’t know if you are familiar with how the Oculus software works, but if the game can’t maintain a full 80 FPS, the ASW feature will force it down to 40 FPS, and then create fake frames to fill up the missing 40 frames, every second. This means that the software will have to extrapolate from the previous two frames, to create the next frame and this will cause some graphical artifacts that may present themselves as judder.

Try turning ASW off by pressing CTRL KeyPad 1.

Here are the associated shortcuts.

CTRL+KP1 - Disable ASW

CTRL+KP2 - Force apps to 45hz, DISABLE ASW

CTRL+KP3 - Force apps to 45hz, ENABLE ASW

CTRL+KP4 - Enable ASW to operate automatically

Hey goblin

Thanks for the suggestions. I had no idea about ASW or the associated key commands. I will try them out and see what happens.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

OK, tried with ASW off and found it unplayable.

I will put up with a bit of judder and leave ASW on i think.

Thanks.

recently I got the impression, that the judder and double images increases with increased pixel density ( PD ) in DCS. Increasing the render target by VR compositor and leaving DCS PD at 1.0 reduced the effect of stutter and double images/ghosting for me.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

recently I got the impression, that the judder and double images increases with increased pixel density ( PD ) in DCS. Increasing the render target by VR compositor and leaving DCS PD at 1.0 reduced the effect of stutter and double images/ghosting for me.

I have no idea what VR composer is, but will check it out and give it a try.

Thanks

I have no idea what VR composer is, but will check it out and give it a try.

Thanks

It´s the software to run your VR headset, like Pitool or SteamVR ...

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Thanks.

The judder is truly terrible. You can instead turn down the settings for potato vision.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to get bad judder looking sideways, taxiing etc - simply updated to my latest motherboard Bios and it is all gone - smooth as silk now!

Still get the opponent aircraft ghosting etc but that is just ASW.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks.

That is strange, we have similar systems and I much prefer ASW off, mine is very smooth with no graphic anomalies.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I love the immersion that the Rift S gives me and since the latest update I have much improved performance and no static white flashes, however there are still a few points which aren't great and wondered if it was just my rig or if its a general VR issue? If any one can offer any remedies I would be most grateful.

When looking out of the cockpit directly to the side, any building/scenery/trees etc tend to stutter/judder as I go past. Everything looks great if I look directly out of the front or slightly to the side, but if I turn my head 90 degrees it gets choppy.

Also if in a dogfight and looking to the side or behind me the enemy aircraft look blurred, almost like I have double vision, they certainly aren't sharp.

Any suggestions to fix gratefully received.

The three biggest things I've found that effect FPS are: Pixel Density setting in SteamVR, Pixel density setting in DCS, and MSAA setting in DCS. Other things certainly affect FPS, but not as drastically as these three. Given your system specs, try as close to 1:1 resolution as your physical headset per eye resolution in SteamVR PD setting, MSAA in DCS at 2x to start, and PD in DCS at 1.2 or 1.3. From there see what your frame rate is and if good, see if you can get away with MSAA 4x in DCS. It might also help a little bit to cut back the trees and clutter settings in DCS to about half.

I have found that ASW on gives judder looking outside, tips of wings, missiles etc - but cockpit is smooth. ASW off means outside is smooth, but bad ghosting etc of cockpit when moving head.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have found that ASW on gives judder looking outside, tips of wings, missiles etc - but cockpit is smooth. ASW off means outside is smooth, but bad ghosting etc of cockpit when moving head.

What you are seeing is poor VR optimisation within some maps.

Normandy is the worst, followed by PG and Caucasus. NTTR is by far the better of the bunch, performance wise.

I have no problems in the air, but struggle with performance on the ground, particularly with the F14 and heavily ground object populated air bases in PG.

I find it to be an oddly transient thing, some days are better than others.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Having tried various different settings, I am finding that Cockpit Global Illumination is having a massive imapct on the smoothness and fluidity of the flying experience, and it seems much better with it off.

When flying over large amounts of forest etc. i no longer get lots of juddering as I look out of the window.

Do most people fly with this off or on?

Having tried various different settings, I am finding that Cockpit Global Illumination is having a massive imapct on the smoothness and fluidity of the flying experience, and it seems much better with it off.

When flying over large amounts of forest etc. i no longer get lots of juddering as I look out of the window.

Do most people fly with this off or on?

I found the same thing and it off for me.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I fly with it off also.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks. I will leave it switched off. It's so much better without.