Fuel consumption too low

yngvef

The short story: Fuel consumption on full afterburner is too low. On full afterburner at sea level, it only shows about 23k pounds per hour.

Multiple available, non-classified, sources say that the F-16C with the F110 engine consumes more than 60k pounds per hour in full afterburner at sea level.

Couldn't see this in the known issues, so I post it here. I hope that is ok.

The long story, with testing: I wondered if it might just be an issue with the fuel flow gauge showing wrong number, so I did a test: Clean F-16, with full internal load of 7163 pounds of fuel.

I engaged afterburner and kept it on continously, flying at 600 feet above the sea until I ran out of fuel.

Verified with the RCtrl-Enter panel to see that the throttle was in fact at 100%, which it was the whole trip.

It took me 18 minutes and 20 seconds to run out, which corresponds to a fuel consumption of a little over 23k pounds per hour, meaning the fuel flow gauge is working correctly.

Conclusion: the fuel flow is too low.

PS: I tried including track file (as I know this is very often asked for), but the file is 7.45 mb and the forum has a limit of 5 mb.

PPS: Confirmed by two different buddies on different PCs as well, that the fuel flow is 23k at sea level in full afterburner, so it's not a local issue.

Follow-up test:

Did the exact same flight with the F-14B, which also uses the F110 engine.

After just under 7 minutes in full afterburner at sea level (500-1000 feet), it had burned through all its 16200 pounds of fuel. (at about 6 minutes, the afterburners started flickering, as the feed tanks were running dry, but it's close enough)

This corresponds to a total fuel flow of about 139k pounds of fuel per hour, or 69.5k per engine per hour.

Based on what I've read, this is much closer to reality.

Wags already mentioned this either in a post or a video.

Oh, then I've missed it. I just tried searching in the bug report forum and looking at the list of known bugs, and it wasn't listed.

They should list it, or more people will keep reporting it.

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Cab said:

The F-14A used the TF30 that was in the F-111, not the F100

At the time that was posted, the only available F-14 in the sim was the B. The A only recently became available.

Aircraft:

A-10C|A-10C II|AV-8B N/A|AJS-37|F-14|F-15E|F-16C|F/A-18C|FC3|P-51D

KA-50|Mi-24P|SA-342|UH-1H|AH-64D

Terrains:

Syria|Persian Gulf|Normandy|NTTR|Sinai

1 hour ago, HalasKor said:

At the time that was posted, the only available F-14 in the sim was the B. The A only recently became available.

Um, okay. But that doesn’t change the fact that no F-14 used the F100 engine.

Maybe I’m missing something. 

1 hour ago, Cab said:

Um, okay. But that doesn’t change the fact that no F-14 used the F100 engine.

Maybe I’m missing something. 

Well, The engine in question is a F110 not a F100. Based on some quick double checks on my part it would appear that the F-14A+ (F-14B) used the F110 engine just like the block 50 viper. However, I am no expert. I am prone to making mistakes and there is a lot of misinformation on the internet.

Aircraft:

Terrains:

I've got no idea how we got here in the F-16 forum, but here we go: there are actually two separate F-14Bs. 

It was clear pretty early that the TF-30 was not an ideal engine to power a fighter, and the Navy sought from the beginning to find a more powerful alternative to put into the F-14. To get aircraft airborne sooner rather than later, it was decided that the initial run of prototype and production F-14s (YF-14A and F-14A) would be powered by the PW TF-30-412 from the F-111B program while the replacement was developed. Once the replacement, the F401-PW-400 engine was available, production would switch to the F-14B, which would feature the same avionics as the A, but with these new engines.

The F401 was a derivative of the Eagle's F100 engines, and a single prototype F-14B was built to test the engines. Issue is afterburning turbofans were tricky to get right in the 1970s and the Eagle also had significant teething issues with its engines. The same time the US defense budget was being reduced in the post Vietnam, gas crisis environment and things began to get tight all around. The Navy had to cut certain planned features for the F-14 to get it into production sooner rather than later, and as part of this abandoned the development of the F401. 

In the 1980s the Navy, still unhappy with the TF-30s, paid to put a pair of GE F101 derivatives developed for the F-16 into that original F-14B prototype. The results were promising enough that the follow on F110 was selected to power the then upcoming F-14D upgrade. The decision was also made to build a run of F-14As with these new engines as a temporary stopgap before the entire fleet was replaced with the comprehensive F-14D upgrade. The F-14As with the new engines were designated the F-14A+. In the early 90s the decision was made to redesignate the A+ fleet as Bs. This is the aircraft we have in DCS. 

Apologies, I didn’t fully grasp the context of the reply. It was arrogant of me to assume a mistake.

Edited by HalasKor
Thought needed fleshing out
  • Thanks 1

Aircraft:

Terrains:

• BIGNEWY changed the title to Fuel consumption too low
  • BIGNEWY locked this topic