F-14 Q1 2020 Mini-Update

Cobra847

Our current major efforts are focused almost exclusively on the above, and we intend to begin shipping features throughout Q1.

So we have only one more Open Beta update not counting today (which doesn't have any F-14 fixes or additions in the change log) for this quarter. We haven't had any of the features added from the OP nor have we discussed or heard any news regarding the F-14A, or Forrestal at all. :P

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow really guys. 2.5.6 is in a mess and you want more code added to it? Wouldnt you think Heatblur are waiting to see where 2.5.6 ends up first?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Wow really guys. 2.5.6 is in a mess and you want more code added to it? Wouldnt you think Heatblur are waiting to see where 2.5.6 ends up first?

Why does Development need to halt for 2.5.6. I want them to deliver on their roadmap, which came long before 2.5.6. I don't understand how lighting changes affect AIM-54 development, or Jester's interaction with LANTIRN. That's fine if it does, but we have no word for the Devs whatsoever.

Also your telling me 2.5.6. prevents them from popping on the forums and giving us updates about the things they said they'd update us about?

Edited by Wizard_03

Why does Development need to halt for 2.5.6. I want them to deliver on their roadmap, which came long before 2.5.6.

Also your telling me 2.5.6. prevents them from popping on the forums and giving us updates about the things they said they'd update us about?

Bravo. No really. I've never seen a post so far beyond a facepalm that it would render the erstwhile facepalmer so biblically redundant.

Bravo. No really. I've never seen a post so far beyond a facepalm that it would render the erstwhile facepalmer so biblically redundant.

Why? They said they would do something, and they haven’t. I don’t understand why you folks are happy for them about that. Explain it to me.

Because the OP in this thread is about how they failed to deliver these updates last year and how they’re gonna make it up this quarter. So where are they?

Edited by Wizard_03

Because life. Because the unexpected. Because wishing something does not make it so. I assume you're an adult and as such would have come to grips with these concepts by now.

So I should be happy about that. I can’t voice discontent about my expectations not being met. Expectations that THEY told me to have.

Why? They said they would do something, and they haven’t. I don’t understand why you folks are happy for them about that. Explain it to me.

Because the OP in this thread is about how they failed to deliver these updates last year and how they’re gonna make it up this quarter. So where are they?

Honestly dude, what do you care? You like Hornets... pshaw :disgust::disgust::disgust::disgust:

Salute,

:punk:

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Honestly, I now do hope the alleged sim they are working on together with Meta Simualtions comes to fruition, having the cat and all the boat ops there would be so much better in the long run..

What? Tell me more :joystick:

So I should be happy about that. I can’t voice discontent about my expectations not being met. Expectations that THEY told me to have.

BS. Re-read their post:

We’ll soon be coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the launch of the F-14; and we intend it to be a year of product improvements that we can stand behind and are proud of.

Beyond that; we do not want to see a second Tomcat anniversary without a completed product.

Note INTEND.

Also the fact that they would like to have the Tomcat complete before March 2021 kind of indicates we will be waiting further than Q1 2020 for some elements.

Furthermore:

I would prefer to say asap instead, as you see whenever we try and give estimates we tend to fall a bit on our face again. We'll do everything to have it out as quickly as we can. And ofc, we hope that is Q1.

Note HOPE.

The "promise" of Q1 updates is nothing more than a construct of your febrile imagination; would they have liked to? Sure sounds like it. However I point you back to this post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4235134&postcount=82

Note HOPE.

Gotcha so there’s no accountability that makes me feel much better. Lol our entire update and roadmap for delivery doesn’t matter because everything’s subject to change. Why even have updates then??

I’m in the wrong line of work TBH, I wish I could tell sh*t like that to my customers. When I miss “estimates” I usually loose money. But if and when That happens at the very least I gotta call them up and talk to them. So Where’s heatblur?

Gotcha so there’s no accountability...

I'm going to try to describe, in short, of what I believe has been said in the forums by HB:

If I remember correctly, they've mentioned how they've made mistakes and/or needed to make fixes as well as ED making mistakes and/or needing to fix things. There are so many variables with DCS that I don't envy anyone there job, heh. <Enter crying here>

Personally, I'm looking forward to the catB launch fixes and right engine fixes:), but I understand that there are so many variables/moving parts that it'd be insane to give dates now with all the changes:(

P.S. I do understand; however, the frustration with most businesses these days not having much, if any, accountability for their business or product. I just think, in this case, that perhaps they don't really have the means to commit, via patch changes, etc...

Edited by Psyph3r
Post-Script

--=_Flying Since LOMAC_=--

Gotcha so there’s no accountability that makes me feel much better. Lol our entire update and roadmap for delivery doesn’t matter because everything’s subject to change. Why even have updates then??

I’m in the wrong line of work TBH, I wish I could tell sh*t like that to my customers. When I miss “estimates” I usually loose money. But if and when That happens at the very least I gotta call them up and talk to them. So Where’s heatblur?

Have you ever thought to consider that there are things out of Heatblurs control that affect these deadlines being missed?

Its very easy to sit behind a keyboard as an outsider who knows nothing about how this game is developed and point fingers after deadlines are missed but what you don't understand is that these guys are a 3rd party working with a core system that is beyond their control.

They also can't come out everytime something changes in the core architecture of DCS to explain to you that its causing delays. Be patient like everyone else and let them do their jobs!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

What? That argument is logically redundant. We do have updates because Heatblur WANT to keep developing, and have made a sh1tload since release a year ago, adding functionality, improving performance, making adjustments to try to keep on top of underlying code changes.

I don't know what you do, but clearly using it as a model to understand software development is erroneous at best. But lets try.

What happens if one of your suppliers of material you use to manufacture the product you make for your customers suffers a QA lapse and suddenly your material is no longer structurally fit to make your product?

Every time ED tweak their underlying base game code that can have unintended knock on effects on third parties developing for that code. Sometimes they might know in advance and the fix is simple. On these occasions the clients barely notice. However, sometimes the break in the interaction comes out of nowhere; and the first you know as a 3rd party developer is people banging on the doors at the forum going 'function x is bugged!'. Sometimes the fix is simple, a quick look through the code and you see an obvious value change or omission or addition and you can adjust your code accordingly.

Then sometimes, because code sit's on code, sits on code, sits on code, the changed parameter is so deeply removed that it takes time to actually find the value that has changed and figure out what ramifications that has for your code. That ramification could entail a from the ground up re-write of the code for that function!

In what way is any of this like your real life job?

That's not all. Most DCS 3rd Party developers do not do this as a primary career/source of income. This is not paying their mortgages.

What if you were doing this job as a secondary in your spare time? Snatching the occasional couple of hours after your day job, between trying to deal with family, friends, the inevitable overtime at the day job, illness, even a bloody leak in the plumbing? What do you think get's put on the shelf first when your kid has been up all night coughing and you've had little or no sleep? You gonna call your boss, tell him that your not coming in today cos some internet whiner is getting on your case about not getting 'function z' on your DCS module ready when you were hoping to?

Ha! I doubt it.

So get off your high horse, quit being an ignorant whiner, actually read what's been bloody posted instead of warping it with your own over-entitled expectations and start behaving like a reasonable adult.

God forbid you might go actually fly the Tomcat in DCS - I do, did last night in fact, and had a great time, despite all these horrendous missing functionalities and features. Christ, you might even enjoy it.

What? That argument is logically redundant. We do have updates because Heatblur WANT to keep developing, and have made a sh1tload since release a year ago, adding functionality, improving performance, making adjustments to try to keep on top of underlying code changes.

I don't know what you do, but clearly using it as a model to understand software development is erroneous at best. But lets try.

What happens if one of your suppliers of material you use to manufacture the product you make for your customers suffers a QA lapse and suddenly your material is no longer structurally fit to make your product?

Every time ED tweak their underlying base game code that can have unintended knock on effects on third parties developing for that code. Sometimes they might know in advance and the fix is simple. On these occasions the clients barely notice. However, sometimes the break in the interaction comes out of nowhere; and the first you know as a 3rd party developer is people banging on the doors at the forum going 'function x is bugged!'. Sometimes the fix is simple, a quick look through the code and you see an obvious value change or omission or addition and you can adjust your code accordingly.

Then sometimes, because code sit's on code, sits on code, sits on code, the changed parameter is so deeply removed that it takes time to actually find the value that has changed and figure out what ramifications that has for your code. That ramification could entail a from the ground up re-write of the code for that function!

In what way is any of this like your real life job?

That's not all. Most DCS 3rd Party developers do not do this as a primary career/source of income. This is not paying their mortgages.

What if you were doing this job as a secondary in your spare time? Snatching the occasional couple of hours after your day job, between trying to deal with family, friends, the inevitable overtime at the day job, illness, even a bloody leak in the plumbing? What do you think get's put on the shelf first when your kid has been up all night coughing and you've had little or no sleep? You gonna call your boss, tell him that your not coming in today cos some internet whiner is getting on your case about not getting 'function z' on your DCS module ready when you were hoping to?

Ha! I doubt it.

So get off your high horse, quit being an ignorant whiner, actually read what's been bloody posted instead of warping it with your own over-entitled expectations and start behaving like a reasonable adult.

God forbid you might go actually fly the Tomcat in DCS - I do, did last night in fact, and had a great time, despite all these horrendous missing functionalities and features. Christ, you might even enjoy it.

No need to get personal, I’m just mad about the lack of progress and the lack of communication about the lack of progress. I’ve got every right to be, same as you being happy with the same old Lip service from them, it’s fine if your satisfied with that, I’m not. I don’t care about their personal lives, don’t care about software development, don’t care about wearing their shoes, I only care about getting what I paid for. There’s nothing unreasonable about that.

That’s the real adult world, nobody cares. I’m not asking for excuses, I’m asking to get what I paid for. I don’t mean anything to them, other then my cash, because this is a business. They do owe me something, I AM entitled to what I paid for. Simple as that.

Edited by Wizard_03

;4236272']Have you ever thought to consider that there are things out of Heatblurs control that affect these deadlines being missed?

Its very easy to sit behind a keyboard as an outsider who knows nothing about how this game is developed and point fingers after deadlines are missed but what you don't understand is that these guys are a 3rd party working with a core system that is beyond their control.

They also can't come out everytime something changes in the core architecture of DCS to explain to you that its causing delays. Be patient like everyone else and let them do their jobs!

Absolutely, about as easy for them to hop the forums as say, “hey, all these things we said we wanted to do, well turns out we can’t just yet because xyz.” Or “these goals we set for ourselves, we didn’t hit, we’re sorry, we’ve set new ones and we’re doing the best we can.” It’s not hard it’s basic customer service. The management of expectations is their responsibility. It’s not unreasonable to ask them for that.

I have no problem being patient but, the silence here and apparent lack of progress makes me question them. That being said I don’t necessarily need updates, just progress to show that they are in fact committed to delivering on all the things they stated, and that they value our support. But in leu of that I’ll take a progress update.

Edited by Wizard_03

Absolutely, about as easy for them to hop the forums as say, “hey, all these things we said we wanted to do, well turns out we can’t just yet because xyz.” Or “these goals we set for ourselves, we didn’t hit, we’re sorry, we’ve set new ones and we’re doing the best we can.” It’s not hard it’s basic customer service. The management of expectations is their responsibility. It’s not unreasonable to ask them for that.

I have no problem being patient but, the silence here and apparent lack of progress makes me question them. That being said I don’t necessarily need updates, just progress to show that they are in fact committed to delivering on all the things they stated, and that they value our support. But in leu of that I’ll take a progress update.

HB, being HB, are nice people and don't want to say the obvious and lay blame. Laying blame usually backfires in some way or another. They've been drawn into this before and it takes effort to read between the lines where ED have let everyone down. (I could reference a certain missile) for one example but there's many cases where 3rd parties are forced in between a rock and a hard place. It's currently happening again, the OB needs plenty more work before becoming "stable". For third parties, they could either say nothing, or sound like us lot, blaming ED for everything.

Instead of assuming it's HB first, have a look up, a little further... bit further still and see what is actually going on at the moment. It's a shit show. and if you missed it, then OK, you didnt know, but don't make an assumption if you haven't kept your eye on the ball.

The other thing you know is that they didn't post an update. Most likely because they don't have one that anyone would like. Saying nothing is the go-to when saying anything is worse. Now you know that, you are up to date and don't need to ask. It's not like anyone forgot! Go ask Cobra about all the cool posts where he dropped his foot in it. Updates will be made, when there is an actual update.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

From my own experience when I created the Huey Medevac campaign it gets very frustrating when you create something that then stops working when the core game is updated.

And that was just a campaign, not a highly complicated module like the Tomcat. I don't hold HB accountable at all for these problems, or for missing deadlines as all they can do is react to changes made out of their control (and what would appear to be without prior warning either).

It's just the nature of the beast I suppose. On the plus side we can roll back updates so it's not like we can't use what we've bought.

Just my opinion but it's pretty shitty PR for discussing modules updates and features on reddit, instead on the actual forum of the game itself. It's been pretty silent on there threads for HB's behalf.

+1

Kinda strange but I guess that's just the way it is with most DCS devs.