Problems with the Radar

metzger

In ACM modes especially, I can't manage to get a lock further out from 2-3 miles and even from that distance is a hassle and sometimes takes forever. I had many cases where I see the bandit 1 mile literally almost in a gun range, keep it on the top of the vertical line in vertical scan mode and it doesn't lock. It is very very unreliable in WVR.

It's a bit weird in RWS/TWS mode too even tho not that critical - many times I can see DL contact at 40-50 Miles(mid altitudes, no terrain mask) and I can't detect it with the radar, it is not in the notch, ant elev. is set correctly, even trying to decrease the azimuth and elevation bars doesn't help. It will show up eventually once get closer but sometimes it will take quite some time trying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In ACM modes especially, I can't manage to get a lock further out from 2-3 miles and even from that distance is a hassle and sometimes takes forever. I had many cases where I see the bandit 1 mile literally almost in a gun range, keep it on the top of the vertical line in vertical scan mode and it doesn't lock. It is very very unreliable in WVR.

It's a bit weird in RWS/TWS mode too even tho not that critical - many times I can see DL contact at 40-50 Miles(mid altitudes, no terrain mask) and I can't detect it with the radar, it is not in the notch, ant elev. is set correctly, even trying to decrease the azimuth and elevation bars doesn't help. It will show up eventually once get closer but sometimes it will take quite some time trying.

yes, it's clearly not working correctly, hopefully they fix it in next patch

There is a bug with the ACM BORE mode and JHMCS.

Without turning the JHMCS on, pressing DGFT and TMS-up behaves as expected: radar scans the boresight zone.

Turning JHMCS on will enable JHMCS SLAVE. Pressing TMS-up will now slave the radar to where you are looking (see azimuth & elevation carets on CMFD) and turn on emissions. This is unexpected behavior: the manual states the radar will automatically pick up the first target inside the ACM BORE symbol ('egg') without the need for TMS-up.

Pressing TMS-down will re-center the radar and enable 'true' BORE mode. This can always be used to re-center, even in bugged state.

Turning off JHMCS with the rotating knob and then pressing TMS-up will slew the radar down and left ([0,0] coordinates?). This must be a bug, and puts the aircraft in a 'bugged' state. From here on, TMS-up will never enable non-JHMCS ECM BORE as expected. Turning off the JHMCS with DMS-down will repeat the behavior as if it was still on, whether in bugged state or not.

I have included a track that displays the issue. Watch the carets on the CMFD. {actions: DGFT toggle > TMS-up (good result) > JHMCS on > TMS-up (radar offset from bore) > TMS-down (re-center ACM BORE) > JHMCS off > TMS-up (carets show left/down)}

As for the other ACM modes: I haven't found any problems with those. Keep in mind the radar still has to perform a couple of sweeps (see carets), so acquisition is usually not instantaneous.

F-16 ACM JHMCS bug.trk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am not sure what to tell you, did you watch it without taking control ?

Sometimes it does lock it, sometimes it doesn't. It is unreliable. Also note that the distance is 4 miles at mission start, it should lock it right away instead it just doesn't.

I am not sure how it is supposed to work irl, but right now the ACM modes of the viper in dcs are close to useless, it can't lock before you are tally and even then sometimes it doesn't so it is better to use aim9 in bore and JHMCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've done some more testing and found out that it's dependent on aspect from the bandit. At near 0° and near 180°, the ACM vertical scan doesn't pick up any target. Only when increasing aspect to about 4° will it pick up the bandit. Bandit size - and thus probably RCS - doesn't seem to matter. A similar decrease needed from high aspect, not properly measured but found it should be around 4° as well. Beyond these values I found it to work fine.

Now, whether this is a bug or not is up to debate I suppose. Vertical scan is designed to be used when offset from the bandit's longitudinal axis. In the situation presented in OP's track, ACM boresight should be used instead.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Currently what I’m experiencing. Takes for ages to go from DL contact to FCR contact (white square doesn’t appear or does randomly).

Any update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is not a track file, but this is how it is at the moment, and it's really, really frustrating and doesn't seem realistic at all. I can't be expected to fly formation with the hostile for a minute or so before getting a radar lock.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

I know this is not a track file, but this is how it is at the moment, and it's really, really frustrating and doesn't seem realistic at all. I can't be expected to fly formation with the hostile for a minute or so before getting a radar lock.

It's not quite visible in the first video, so I can't judge on that one. The second video though, you're experiencing the bug I described on the first page, which has been reported. (see carets on left MFD for FCR orientation: it's not centered) I bet that's what happened to the first video too, as I see you turned on your JHMCS.

Edited by Bonzo0181

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's not quite visible in the first video, so I can't judge on that one. The second video though, you're experiencing the bug I described on the first page, which has been reported. (see carets on left MFD for FCR orientation: it's not centered) I bet that's what happened to the first video too, as I see you turned on your JHMCS.

In 1st video he is in boresight mode directly pointing at very close target and no lock.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In 1st video he is in boresight mode directly pointing at very close target and no lock.

That’s what the HUD says, but if you look at your FCR you can see by the radar location carats that it’s not always scanning where it should be scanning. Usually while having the JHMCS activated but hidden.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• NineLine changed the title to Problems with the Radar
  • NineLine locked this topic