Long freezes every couple minutes

I had this problem a month or two ago and it remarkably went away with no obvious reason or solution as to why. Not sure what caused it to come back. My DCS (beta) runs very smooth with the exception of every couple minutes I get a huge freeze (can last 30-60 seconds) where view is frozen, task manager flashes DCS not responding and if I click on DCS it will say program not responding. If I click wait for program it will eventually return and run smooth again. My Reveb headset will freeze the view and tracking and then steam VR label will pop up saying waiting for DCS.

I thought this was a VR problem (with my Reverb headset) but I believe it does this in non-VR as well as I took it for a test drive and it again had long pauses (I am assuming the same issue).

I have repaired and done a cleanup on my DCS beta. Reinstalled the latest NVIDIA drivers, reinstalled steamVR beta and WMR for steam beta.

I have added Eagle dynamics and steam folders to my ESET virus software exclusions and also disabled antivirus...nothing seems to help.

No mods running.

Not sure why this problem resolved itself a month back or what re-initiated it.

I posted some logs a month back in the VR bugs forum to BigNewy but never heard back. Problem went away so I never followed up. Here are my new logs...posting here as I am not convinced it is VR related anymore.

Thanks Jason

PS- Any help or guidance greatly appreciated. If there are any other logs or things I should do please give me a shout. Cheers

dcs.log.txt

voice_chat.log.txt

debrief.log.txt

dcs.log.old.txt

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

addendum- I disabled the overclock of my GPU at BigNewy's advice a month ago...made no difference

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

PS- Any help or guidance greatly appreciated.

Seems more like a Windows problem than a DCS problem, may I suggest a tune-up of your system? ... follow the instructions of this guy:

mWHiP9K8fQ0

Text follow-along: https://www.christitus.com/clean-up-windows-10/

This guy is one of the best ... this was my Windows 10, installed from scratch a month ago:

87WQG6T.jpg

this was after the tune-up:

Dr2J7VC.jpg

You may also want to take a look at the Windows logs, just to discard that there are no error messages related to hardware (like a faulty disk drive) : Right click on "My PC" -> Manage -> Event Viewer -> System Logs

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks Rudel...by the way...did you make the C-101 training missions that are available for download on here?

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

Thanks Rudel...by the way...did you make the C-101 training missions that are available for download on here?

Yes, I edited those last year .. there is a thread about them, here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229128

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Just wanted to say thank you for them! They are amazing. Dare I say more in depth than the stock tutorials and missions.

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

addendum- I disabled the overclock of my GPU at BigNewy's advice a month ago...made no difference

Spinny disk or SSD?

Could be disk contention, particularly if Windows is indexing

Could be disk contention if you have significant fragmentation

Could be bus contention if your video card is faster than your PCI bus

Any time there are intermittent pauses I start looking for buffer underruns somewhere. Not a sure thing, but that particular fruit is perfectly positioned.

Just wanted to say thank you for them! They are amazing. Dare I say more in depth than the stock tutorials and missions.

Thanks a lot for your kind words .. I've learned quite a lot about the Mission Editor since I edited those, you might want to take a look at this set that I'm editing for the JF-17:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260933

They are very different from the C-101's .. I chose to not use any User Mod, for wider user appeal, and I'm making use of cockpit highlights as they are more a Tutorial than a practice mission.

Also added voice-overs, though with synthetic voice, as my own english is not good enough :D

Best regards,

Eduardo

PS: Give a try to the tune-up tips, as they really made a difference on my own Windows 10 :)

I will try those tune up tips. I have two SSD’s.

Interestingly enough, saw a thread on page files...mine was set super low. I changed it to 65534 for each SSD. It was set at 9,000. I have 64 gb of RAM so shouldn’t think it should matter.

But after changing the pagefile it didn’t freeze at least on one test run

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

Try turning off windows defender real time protection. Its worked for me when I have encountered similar.

Defining excluded folders is a far safer approach.

Never turn your AV off these days unless you only do it momentarily for defined scenarios and dont forget to turn it on again.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• ED Team
Try turning off windows defender real time protection. Its worked for me when I have encountered similar.

Adding the DCS Install location to the exclusion should be enough, no need to disable completely.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2