Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

[CORRECT AS IS]HUD Symbology Cutoff

Maverick806

If you raise your viewing position above the default position the symbology directly beneath the second pane of glass is not rendered. As you move higher, the amount of symbology not rendered increases.

The first screenshot shows the Mach Indicator and 0* on the pitch ladder being cutoff. Second screenshot shows a larger section of the G meter being cutoff

This does not happen to any symbology above the Mach Indicator when moving your head lower than the default position

Screenshots and Track were taken in version 2.5.6.44266

FA18C_HUD-M.png.9104c6284eab8ee58502338f99047434.png

FA18C_HUD-G.png.76f86e1f0546dce9eff4c1951499c30e.png

HUD_Bug.trk

Edited by Maverick806
Added Screenshot Descriptions

i9 9900K, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3080

Valve Index, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM TPR Pedals

That's sort-of correct as-is. The Hornet's HUD (AVQ-28/-32) uses a 2-piece combiner that projects the HUD across 2 panes of glass and puts them together, leading to a little bit of distortion where the two panes meet. The difference between the panes is probably different depending on the aircraft (levels of wear and tear and whatnot), but in the example I've posted you can see there's definitely a distortion between the panes (it goes right through the G-meter and artificial horizon).

As far as how close the distortion should be, and if it should be more of a gap or an overlap is outside the scope of my knowledge.

crop.thumb.jpg.02595a7d3fbb5fcddc4deee9e1327c5f.jpg

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Sure, a bit of distortion is understandable, but even in that photo, the distortion isn't hiding any symbology. I'm actually impressed by how hard it is to even notice the second pane of glass

Like I said:

As far as how close the distortion should be, and if it should be more of a gap or an overlap is outside the scope of my knowledge.

Definitely something that should be clarified from an SME or someone on the team.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• ED Team

Hi

the information we have is that this is correct as is.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi,

Can this be reconsidered?

Here's a couple video examples HUD's in real hornets:

(not a USN hornet)

(screenshot at 4:18 )

Neither video shows a gap in symbology as the camera is moved up and down

Thanks

1303978347_HornetHUD.thumb.png.f25128b0cf8257ac3c6cb8cacd571aa8.png

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Is it just me, or something really happened to the F/A-18 HUD in VR? I noticed that at the bottom edge of the first combiner glass there's a small horizontal stripe where the HUD symbology is missing. The vertical width of the stripe changes as I lean forward and backward in the cockpit.

In the following screenshots the G 1.1 text at the left in the first screenshot:Screen_221126_202604.jpg

and the "NWS" text at the right at the second screenshot:

Screen_221126_201944.jpg

looks partly missing because of that horizontal empty stripe.

Is this intended as is? I don't recall that it behaved like this before...

Edited by St4rgun
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

It looks like the tickness of the first plane of glass, but I suppose that in normal seating position it shouldn't be normal to have a "broad" missing line az important information.

And as I remember this was not the case before, but I din't used the F/A-18 in the last months.

• HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

What is weird that in that thread @BIGNEWY wrote this is correct as is, while the last photos or real hornets' HUDs showed that it is not the case.

Is it still in correct-as-is status?

On 11/26/2022 at 9:43 PM, St4rgun said:

It looks like the tickness of the first plane of glass, but I suppose that in normal seating position it shouldn't be normal to have a "broad" missing line az important information.

And as I remember this was not the case before, but I din't used the F/A-18 in the last months.

For me this look effectively normal on a 3D model point of view due from the thickness of the glasses when they "meet". The "line" is the top of the glass when no refraction of the light from the direct point can be seen.  on the video the camera is placed down to up look, meaning the top of the glass is not visible, the ray light is so coming from under, in DCS when you up the view, it is like if the pilot is over it, and should see the top of the glass where no refraction is made.

Solution will be to reduce the thickness of the glass,  increase the IOR of the glass BDSF material for allow more light to pass through it, or remove contact shadow and impact of it over the second glasses . In Ray tracing engine we can correct this, im not sure in standard one it is possible 

Honestly i am not sure this issue is really worth it, i mean it is not really a break changer

Edited by Lane

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

While not game breaking, it can be a pretty annoying issue if you're flying at night and your velocity vector disappears in the gap.

It's not really a glass or shadow issue, but more of a configuration issue.

The HUD is configured in 2 parts:

• an upper half for the smaller piece of glass, and
  • a lower half which only covers the bottom half of the large piece of glass.

When you raise your point of view, you see a gap above the lower half and below the upper half.

I've been running a modified HUD_Base.lua and replacing the values for HUD_lowerHalfGlassVerts with the values for HUD_largeGlassVerts. It makes this issue go away, but probably breaks integrity checks

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked for some DCS videos on Youtube with Hornets from the last year (2D players, not VR). None of them had this kind of gap on the HUD symbology.

As I recall it was not apparent about that time, because it would readily became annoying back then but I did not noticed it previously.

@BIGNEWYI understand that this thread currently is in the CORRECT AS IS status, but this bug is really annoying. Could the team eliminate this "feature"? Thank you.

Edited by St4rgun

@St4rgun

This is not a bug. Looking at your original screenshots it seems as though your position in VR is somewhat higher than intended. I fly VR exclusively and don’t see this issue in the hornet at all, but I sit lower in the cockpit than you.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

6 hours ago, Deano87 said:

@St4rgun

This is not a bug. Looking at your original screenshots it seems as though your position in VR is somewhat higher than intended. I fly VR exclusively and don’t see this issue in the hornet at all, but I sit lower in the cockpit than you.

For me it seems really unbelievable that in a real Hornet the pilot should have it's eye height be in a perfect position otherwise parts of the symbology DISAPPEARES... That would be a serious design flaw if it's true.

• Like 1

vor 45 Minuten schrieb St4rgun:

For me it seems really unbelievable that in a real Hornet the pilot should have it's eye height be in a perfect position otherwise parts of the symbology DISAPPEARES... That would be a serious design flaw if it's true.

A cockpit is designed for a certain eye hight. 
Of course the seat can be adjusted in hight within certain limits.

But before someone becomes a pilot his body is being measured…and not just his plain size, but also things like the length of the legs etc…

Bottom line, if someone is too tall or small, he might not be eligible to fly certain aircraft. So if one is chosen to be a Hornet pilot, he will very likely meet the respective requirements.

It was my first thought as well, that the view position in the pics seems a bit high.

Edited by Phantom711

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png