F16 for noob

HoYa

I’ve been playing DCS for quite a while now, but I have two problems. First of all I don’t have a lot of time, so maybe 2 hours a week. Secondly, I’m pretty bad with computers.

Up to know I’ve only played the F15 and the a10A, which are simplified cockpits. However I LOVE the F16. When I was AF active duty we supported a squadron and I thought they were just awesome.

Is the DCS F16 a good full model to start with ???

That's a hard question. The F-16 is currently incomplete but is complete enough to be used by someone that really like that particular airplane and isn't going to get super deep into the systems faster than the developer can build it ahead of you.

As a first impression I would personally steer you toward a more complete experience but it has to be one you care about. The A-10C, F-5, F-14 for example will take you a long time before you reach the ragged edge of where the simulation ends.

You should try the TF-51D to get an impression of what a full fidelity module is like. One, it's free. Two, it's quite well done. I think being an accurate simulation is easier than the FC-level modules for a few reasons. Being able to click in the cockpit is a dramatic improvement in usability compared to manifold key combos to memorize. I also think full fidelity modules are easier to learn because once you learn the airplane you know the sim whereas simplified module will never make real world sense because it's not designed to be.

I’ve been playing DCS for quite a while now, but I have two problems. First of all I don’t have a lot of time, so maybe 2 hours a week. Secondly, I’m pretty bad with computers.

Up to know I’ve only played the F15 and the a10A, which are simplified cockpits. However I LOVE the F16. When I was AF active duty we supported a squadron and I thought they were just awesome.

Yes. It’s a great module to start with. You’ll have a blast.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

@HoYa you will hear a lot of grumbling about WIP, weapons not working, etc. but since you stated you were in the AF you know how the military get craft that things do not quite work right. so the air crew and the ground crew work with what they have. i have f-16 and it is great fun even with some systems not working. i, as do most if us, manage knowing it a bit we will get more and more.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

@HoYa you will hear a lot of grumbling about WIP, weapons not working, etc. but since you stated you were in the AF you know how the military get craft that things do not quite work right. so the air crew and the ground crew work with what they have. i have f-16 and it is great fun even with some systems not working. i, as do most if us, manage knowing it a bit we will get more and more.

Do you really think the USAF would use a F-16 in combat that can't use most of its air to ground weapons, a good chunk of its navigation system, and many other missing systems?

To me personally the current incomplete state of the viper is no issue.

The basics were in it from the launch day and I had big fun to get comfortable with simply flying it. Cold an dark startup, taxiing , take-off, flying straight, practice rolls, loops, split S, etc.. recover from unusual altitudes racing through las Vegas and the canyons and landings. All big fun. In the mean time, ED implements improvements in funcionality, onboard systems and eye candy every few weeks and honestly... that keeps me hungry for more and more to come. What really helps also are numerous YT channels ( wags, grim reapers, shifty mover to mention some) And last but not least: reading almost every topic on this site.

I am flying sims for I think almost 2 decades now ( MS flightsimulator 1.0 , FSX and everything in between, X-plane, Lock-on but DCS to me is the best invention in flight simulation ever.

Wow, that’s a game changer, is the sim not combat ready ? Is the A2A A2G lacking basic functions ??? I ask cause I just don’t know...

Well, as mentioned before... The DCS F16C is still in open beta but you can surely jump into a fight with it. IRL you probably wouldn't even try but hey.... it's a sim and you'll survive anyway:pilotfly:

A2A and A2G however are functioning pretty well already but will get even better over time. Patience and practice are key.

Do you really think the USAF would use a F-16 in combat that can't use most of its air to ground weapons, a good chunk of its navigation system, and many other missing systems?

Maybe the USAF would if they got a year of pre-release discount. ;) The DCS community is essentially test pilots for the aircraft. take a look at the first time someone tried to take off in the F16. definitely some issues that needed correcting and were.

http://www.airspacemag.com/videos/category/military-aviation/the-f-16s-first-flight/

this is a sim and my comments were to put all the current issues in context.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

The A2A systems are more complete than A2G. With A2G, you're still limited primarily to dumb bombs and rockets. You have LGBs and the Litening II (limited functioning). No JDAMs, JSOW, HARM or AGM-65 yet.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

Maybe the USAF would if they got a year of pre-release discount. ;) The DCS community is essentially test pilots for the aircraft. take a look at the first time someone tried to take off in the F16. definitely some issues that needed correcting and were.

http://www.airspacemag.com/videos/category/military-aviation/the-f-16s-first-flight/

this is a sim and my comments were to put all the current issues in context.

Hmmmm.... This was in fact a failed high speed taxi-run... Mr Oestricher took off because the YF16 refused to remain on the ground...

This hero must have had balls of steel.