HB REQUEST: "Next Launch" Jester Command?

Bearfoot

So I realize this requests is because of your question about launching multiple Phoenixes at the same target, but the reality is that this request would have to be followed up with a way for the pilot to request Jester to hook a specific target. Otherwise the Next Launch request is pointless. Most of the time other targets are going to popup behind it and Jester will hook those to ID them.

Honestly, if you are getting this deep into it, just get a human RIO. Alternatively you could wait till the target is close and simply PAL them for a follow up. You can't apply the spamram tactics in the F-14. While possible, the best way to engage is from 60-30 nm away or work in pairs.

Honestly, if you are getting this deep into it, just get a human RIO.

Not an option for many of us, SP or MP

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

this is actually useful for those of us trying to sort in MP

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

I don't get all this micromanaging Jester. When one of my RIOs fly with me they handle radar, weapons and engagement. They just tell me where to point the nose. Only time I get involved is within a 20nm engagement. And the same goes when I RIO for them. The workload is split for a reason.

When I fly alone I'm going to shoot the closest target on my radar. And I have never been in an engagement where the F-14s did not shoot first. Waiting for a dissimilar A/C to shoot 120s so you can pick-off the wingman with a Phoenix seems like you are placing yourself at a tactical disadvantage.

Filling up the Jester Wheel with every conceivable RIO function defeats the purpose of having a AI RIO in the first place. Not to mention having to navigate the wheel. Which is then inevitably followed by requests for keybinds. Sounds like all of you wanted a full fidelity F-15 with a F-14 skin on it.

If you want to take it to level where you cherry pick your targets as an ability then why not invest in getting a human back there. The servers I fly on have people from all walks of life, schedules and situations, some even playing on laptops, with playstation controllers or crappy internet, but they make it work.

There are so many other things that can be added and fixed.

I don't get all this micromanaging Jester. When one of my RIOs fly with me they handle radar, weapons and engagement. They just tell me where to point the nose. Only time I get involved is within a 20nm engagement. And the same goes when I RIO for them. The workload is split for a reason.

When I fly alone I'm going to shoot the closest target on my radar. And I have never been in an engagement where the F-14s did not shoot first. Waiting for a dissimilar A/C to shoot 120s so you can pick-off the wingman with a Phoenix seems like you are placing yourself at a tactical disadvantage.

Filling up the Jester Wheel with every conceivable RIO function defeats the purpose of having a AI RIO in the first place. Not to mention having to navigate the wheel. Which is then inevitably followed by requests for keybinds. Sounds like all of you wanted a full fidelity F-15 with a F-14 skin on it.

If you want to take it to level where you cherry pick your targets as an ability then why not invest in getting a human back there. The servers I fly on have people from all walks of life, schedules and situations, some even playing on laptops, with playstation controllers or crappy internet, but they make it work.

(1) That's lovely that things work out as they are for you. It does not for many of us.

(2) It's awesome that you think flying with a human RIO solves all our problems. For many of us flying with a human RIO is not an option we can (unpredictable work hours, kids, etc.) or care for (just like some like red wine and some like tequila).

(3) That's cool that you do not think that spamming Phoenix's is a nice tactic. For what it's worth, I agree. The Next Launch also allows for a carefully considered second shot if the first looks like it might be missed. But either way, you play the game your way, and let others play it their way.

(4) No, we do not want and F-15 with an F-14 skin on it. Thank you for your off-the-cuff psychoanalysis, but you should probably stick to your day job (or flying the virtual F-14). We want an F-14 that can be played well (enough) with a non-human RIO as advertised and intended by Heatblur's. Among other things, a "Next Launch" option will help bring us closer to that goal.

(5) Thank you for your musings on all our potential ergonomic issues and woes with a cluttered Jester wheel etc. Very generous with your time and effort given that you seem to prefer to play with a human RIO anyway. Rest assured: (1) One way or another, it's our problem; (2) Plenty of room still on the Jester wheel ; (3) Many of us use programs that hook into the Jester wheel (VoiceAttack/StreamDeck), so we do not or rarely look at the wheel. So when you get the time to do deeper thinking about this, you might want to file this away in the "much-ado-about-nothing strawman problem that does not exist now and will not with even a dozen new features added and even after that if it is a problem it is something that does not concern me as I fly with human RIO's" category.

(6) "There are so many other things that can be added and fixed." Sure. I'll bet you that we would agree on many of them, and on a few others we will go "meh?", and a few others that might be important to you I would list below "making the harness flutter to reflect the airflow in the cockpit". Right now, a "Next Launch" for me ranks below LANTIRN operability (which should not concern you in any way, either, given your preference for human RIO's) and (way) above the yaw string.

Edited by Bearfoot

And where did you conceive this idea that Jester is a RIO?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

(1.1) I never said I get to fly whenever I want to. I said if you put the time and effort it you can make it work. It's very easy to say I dont have the time, or schedule. I have to get up at 4 in the morning, and work up to 60 hours a week. Which means I have a very limited window in the evening to fly, if I even can and that slot rarely aligns with most other people on the server. But I can see who's online and message them if I feel like it. It is certainly possible.

(2.1) See 1.1.

(3.1) So.. Other play it their way. Except. Currently you can't play it your way. You don't want to adapt your tactics and/or get a RIO who would enable you to do it. Instead your resolve is to have the aircraft changed to suit your style.

(4.1) The current state works just fine if you work around the limitations of not having a Human RIO.

(5.1) (1a) While I do prefer human RIOs, I still fly with Jester 66% of the time. And my point to your original statement still stands. (2a) Its not just a "Next Launch" binding you need. You will also need a whole set of commands to have him hook specific target before you can instruct him to select next launch. (3a) I fail to see an exaggeration argument, since this is exactly what happened with the LANTIRN Jester requests.

(6.1) Since we seem to agree on more than not, my point is this. There are enough requests from people who seem more interested in changing the simulation of the Aircraft to rather suite their tactics/style/flying/peripherals such as virtual FBW so they dont snap their wings or SparrowHawk HUDs because they can't bothered to learn to read the ASI. Rather than adapt and work with what they have, which is why I am naturally adverse to these types of requests. I support fixing the things that are broken or missing first before adding QOL items.

(1.1) I never said I get to fly whenever I want to. I said if you put the time and effort it you can make it work. It's very easy to say I dont have the time, or schedule. I have to get up at 4 in the morning, and work up to 60 hours a week. Which means I have a very limited window in the evening to fly, if I even can and that slot rarely aligns with most other people on the server. But I can see who's online and message them if I feel like it. It is certainly possible.

(2.1) See 1.1.

(3.1) So.. Other play it their way. Except. Currently you can't play it your way. You don't want to adapt your tactics and/or get a RIO who would enable you to do it. Instead your resolve is to have the aircraft changed to suit your style.

(4.1) The current state works just fine if you work around the limitations of not having a Human RIO.

(5.1) (1a) While I do prefer human RIOs, I still fly with Jester 66% of the time. And my point to your original statement still stands. (2a) Its not just a "Next Launch" binding you need. You will also need a whole set of commands to have him hook specific target before you can instruct him to select next launch. (3a) I fail to see an exaggeration argument, since this is exactly what happened with the LANTIRN Jester requests.

(6.1) Since we seem to agree on more than not, my point is this. There are enough requests from people who seem more interested in changing the simulation of the Aircraft to rather suite their tactics/style/flying/peripherals such as virtual FBW so they dont snap their wings or SparrowHawk HUDs because they can't bothered to learn to read the ASI. Rather than adapt and work with what they have, which is why I am naturally adverse to these types of requests. I support fixing the things that are broken or missing first before adding QOL items.

1, If Heatblur had stated that the game was really designed from the outset for human-only RIO, and that the single-player experience was going to be substandard, sure. It is a stated goal, however, that the AI RIO experience is complete, if not perfect.

2. I don't care to play this game with a human RIO. Maybe I am antisocial. Maybe I just like my eggs boiled.

3. There is no satisfactory work around for not having a Next Launch Jester command not available.

4. A Next :Launch Jester command still will not be as flexible or as effective or as efficient as a human RIO. We still will not be able to do everything. But it gets us really, really, really, really, really, really, really far there.

5. Dude, you need to look up "false equivalence" sometime. And meditate on it. Virtual FBW and SparrowHawk HUD's are not the same as asking for an option for Jester to push a button. Which we already have for so many other things anyway (TWS, RWS, STT, Pulse mode , etc. etc. etc.). There is absolutely no spiritual difference between asking Jester to switch from PD to P STT or Radar Standby/Active, or a gazillion others things that HB in their infinite wisdom has decided to include, and "Next Launch".

6. Your "support for fixing things that are broken or missing" is surely appreciated and valued by everyone who appreciates and values your support for what they do with a game they have paid the same amount of money for to do with in the privacy of their home. You think "Next Launch" --- and existing feature on the aircraft that allows for the aircraft to be used in its full and correct capacity properly (target sorting in a busy place) --- is an OOL request so you do not support it? That's cool, too. We'll try to struggle on without your support.

7. There's no such thing as a free lunch. I have no doubt that if HB decides to implement this, it will take resources away from some other development. Only they know how much and the cost of this will be. I leave it to them to figure out if it is worth it or OOL.

Folks, experimenting with VoiceAttack or StreamDeck to issue a stream of keys to go to the RIO seat, hit "next launch" and then back again to the pilot seat works very well and seamlessly. Target sorting as well as multiple launches on the same target. Only problem, of course, is that this does not work in MP because you cannot switch seats. So a real solution has to come from HB.

No need to argue gents, I agree, a "next launch" command would be helpful since the implementation of TWS-A. It will never be the same as telling a RIO which target to hook, etc (btw don't tell real RIOs what to do lol, they will know better than you, if they are good, hehe, pilots never told RIOs what mode to use or what target to lock etc.. the intercepts were run by RIOs up until the merge), but at least it will give an option to work around some of Jester's stiffness.

I added a tracker for it.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

No need to argue gents, I agree, a "next launch" command would be helpful since the implementation of TWS-A. It will never be the same as telling a RIO which target to hook, etc (btw don't tell real RIOs what to do lol, they will know better than you, if they are good, hehe, pilots never told RIOs what mode to use or what target to lock etc.. the intercepts were run by RIOs up until the merge), but at least it will give an option to work around some of Jester's stiffness.

I added a tracker for it.

Awesome! Thanks, Mike!

• 3 months later...