DCS: F/A-18C THE SERPENT'S HEAD 2 CAMPAIGN

58 minutes ago, Worrazen said:

Thanks for explanation.

Mission: Going For The Chop

Comm says I have to take off from Catapult 3, but it seems like Catapult 2 is the one I have to use, or I got my numbers wrong?

you  can  take  off    which  ever  catapult  you want to

1 hour ago, Worrazen said:

Thanks for explanation.

Mission: Going For The Chop

Comm says I have to take off from Catapult 3, but it seems like Catapult 2 is the one I have to use, or I got my numbers wrong?

Hi

Cats are numbered 1 to 4 from right to left as you are looking when ready to  launch.

Cats 2 to 4 are available as Python group will launch shortly after the start of the mission leaving them available. So Cat 3 will be available.

Hope this helps

Badger633 

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

I had a bit of bad luck with the mission and it didn't register final landing on carrier so I had to redo it, but then got too rushy and failed a few times more so I had a couple of tries with the launch catapults. I tried Cat3 and it wouldn't do anything again, animations idle, then I went to Cat1 and it worked.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

12 minutes ago, Worrazen said:

I had a bit of bad luck with the mission and it didn't register final landing on carrier so I had to redo it, but then got too rushy and failed a few times more so I had a couple of tries with the launch catapults. I tried Cat3 and it wouldn't do anything again, animations idle, then I went to Cat1 and it worked.

HI

If you turn up at a cat and nothing happens you can activate them through the radio menu.

It could be also you turned too tight onto the cat 3. You need to  make your 180 degree taxi turn sufficiently  past the cat so that when you approach you have some distance from the cat. If the 180 degree taxi  turn is made to near the cat  it will not activate. 

Hope this helps

Badger633 

Edited by Badger633

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

I taxied all the way back around and this time the Cat3 did indeed activate. Thanks

The request launch radio command did not work earlier though, I kept trying that.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

1 hour ago, Worrazen said:

I taxied all the way back around and this time the Cat3 did indeed activate. Thanks

The request launch radio command did not work earlier though, I kept trying that.

Yes it might not if you have not approached correctly. Basically it’s when you want to use a cat and the men have gone into a rest state through lack of use.

Edited by Badger633

While taxiing to pick up electronics, I hit the grass a bit on the second turn to the left, not sure what was the exact cause, but a wrong script voice was activated telling me to expedite for razor something ... I think it was re-activating the earlier thing or something.

Maybe this reactivates the mission and that's why the landing on stennis isn't registered, well, I'll finish the mission in a bit and will see.

Unfortunately, the landing script did not apply again, after 3 attempts, I tried to follow CASE 3 procedures as correctly as possible, I waited for around 30 minutes on the deck, taxiing around, I took off to give it another landing but unfortunately crashed by mistake which failed the mission again.

I'm using the Super Carrier Simplified Refueling version.

Edited by Worrazen

10 hours ago, Worrazen said:

While taxiing to pick up electronics, I hit the grass a bit on the second turn to the left, not sure what was the exact cause, but a wrong script voice was activated telling me to expedite for razor something ... I think it was re-activating the earlier thing or something.

Maybe this reactivates the mission and that's why the landing on stennis isn't registered, well, I'll finish the mission in a bit and will see.

Unfortunately, the landing script did not apply again, after 3 attempts, I tried to follow CASE 3 procedures as correctly as possible, I waited for around 30 minutes on the deck, taxiing around, I took off to give it another landing but unfortunately crashed by mistake which failed the mission again.

I'm using the Super Carrier Simplified Refueling version.

Hi

The reason you got the strange razor expedite message as you caught the grass was the fact that you probably went to cat 2 rather than wait for python to go and start at cat 3 as instructed at the start of the mission. The trigger for this message is speed related and if you had gone straight to cat 2 you would not have dropped below the key speed until you landed and got to the end of the runway. Nothing to do with the grass.

The instruction after your refuel and pick up is to carry on to the end of the taxi way. The reason you are having a problem is that you are not going to the end of the taxi way but taking the first left turn onto the runway and missing certain instructions and a pass flag that will log when you land on the Stennis. So just ensure you  taxi fully to the end of the taxi way and  enter the runway at its very end all as instructed.

I will make some adjustments to the mission to ensure its not possible for these things to happen no matter what and put it in the next update.

Hope this helps

Badger633

I have infact always waited for all the aircraft to take-off and the air armada thread to be defeated before proceeding to any catapult.

Yeah, sorry for unnecessary cutting of corners, I didn't do it on purpose to rush the first time, I just thought it may be fine to not go all the way around the taxiways even tho in the back of my mind I was so knowingly thinking I wasn't doing this 100% right because I have modding/mapmaking experience in DCS and prior stuff as well and I am familiar with how scripts/triggers/areas can be tricky and work out sometimes.

Mission success!

Second issue:

I get this weird Tacan reading for Kobuleti when I first turn it on and add 67X, it's offset to the south which made me overshoot it a couple of times, ending the mission, I've had some bad luck throughout this but that's mostly on my side. The range does seem to go down but then stays at 50 range. Turning the Tacan off/on fixes the issue. There was no issue with INS reported by the aircraft nor any real HSI issues that I could find in practice and I never touched any of the NAV stuff in any of the attempts.

FPAS warning comes on and stays on even after recycling Tacan, FPAS still doesn't work right, says "NAV TO: TCN 10" whatever tacan station I select.

Could be a DCS issue unrelated to the campaign.

22 minutes ago, Worrazen said:

I have infact always waited for all the aircraft to take-off and the air armada thread to be defeated before proceeding to any catapult.

Yeah, sorry for unnecessary cutting of corners, I didn't do it on purpose to rush the first time, I just thought it may be fine to not go all the way around the taxiways even tho in the back of my mind I was so knowingly thinking I wasn't doing this 100% right because I have modding/mapmaking experience in DCS and prior stuff as well and I am familiar with how scripts/triggers/areas can be tricky and work out sometimes.

Mission success!

Second issue:

I get this weird Tacan reading for Kobuleti when I first turn it on and add 67X, it's offset to the south which made me overshoot it a couple of times, ending the mission, I've had some bad luck throughout this but that's mostly on my side. The range does seem to go down but then stays at 50 range. Turning the Tacan off/on fixes the issue. There was no issue with INS reported by the aircraft nor any real HSI issues that I could find in practice and I never touched any of the NAV stuff in any of the attempts.

FPAS warning comes on and stays on even after recycling Tacan, FPAS still doesn't work right, says "NAV TO: TCN 10" whatever tacan station I select.

Could be a DCS issue unrelated to the campaign.

Hi

Yes all of those things in the second issue will be a DCS issue outside of the campaign scripting.. It would be worth reporting to ED if you can identify them.  Also remember when setting up approaches using the taken the difference between magnetic and true bearings when setting up.

Cheers

Badger633 

Badger633, I am curious even though I figured it out. Sorry for my lack of detail as I can't figure out a way to find a list of missions. Hopefully you will understand. In one of the missions where you have to land at a land base and refuel before going to the Stennis. I get down, get refueled and try to get back to the runway but all except one taxiway are blocked by a cargo plane or a box like structure. First I decided to hit the grass to get around the box, takeoff, set tacan for Stennis and flying that way. Suddenly I get a 'you failed the mission' notice. Ok, try again. This time I get back on the runway at the same end that I had exited runway. I am able to finish the mission. My question is that I landed in one direction and am forced to take off in the opposite direction. That seems kind of weird to me. No big deal, I am just curious as you obviously blocked the other taxiways on purpose.

32 minutes ago, CBStu said:

Badger633, I am curious even though I figured it out. Sorry for my lack of detail as I can't figure out a way to find a list of missions. Hopefully you will understand. In one of the missions where you have to land at a land base and refuel before going to the Stennis. I get down, get refueled and try to get back to the runway but all except one taxiway are blocked by a cargo plane or a box like structure. First I decided to hit the grass to get around the box, takeoff, set tacan for Stennis and flying that way. Suddenly I get a 'you failed the mission' notice. Ok, try again. This time I get back on the runway at the same end that I had exited runway. I am able to finish the mission. My question is that I landed in one direction and am forced to take off in the opposite direction. That seems kind of weird to me. No big deal, I am just curious as you obviously blocked the other taxiways on purpose.

Hi

Which mission is it? If it is the one I am thinking of it is a night mission. “Bloody Nightcap”. Yes you do need to take off in the same direction as you landed. To pass the mission when you land at the Stennis you needed to take off from the very end of the airfield runway, thus the box structures blocking the other exits.

The transport should not block the far exit as it should take off if you wait.

Hope this helps

Badger633

58 minutes ago, CBStu said:

I did it! Finally won the campaign. I learned a ton, had a blast, and (don't want to spoil it for others) the last trap on the boat has some really fun celebratory visuals.

Thanks a lot Badger633.

Now on to the next campaign.

:thumbup:

They are awesome for sure! When I am done with another campaign I am currently flying I will probably go back and fly all three of his again - love em!!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, CBStu said:

I did it! Finally won the campaign. I learned a ton, had a blast, and (don't want to spoil it for others) the last trap on the boat has some really fun celebratory visuals.

Thanks a lot Badger633.

Now on to the next campaign.

Hi CBStu

Glad you enjoyed the campaign.🙂👍  If you get a chance please let other fellow pilots know, it would be great to get  the campaign to as many pilots as possible. It has turned out the campaigns SH, SH2 and ROPL are a good learning progression for newer F18 pilots.

Bit late for you, but  next update for SH2 both Supercarrier versions are being updated with a mission skip system similar to the next campaign, 'Rise of the Persian Lion'.

If you enjoyed SH2 you will enjoy the next.

Badger633

1 hour ago, dburne said:

:thumbup:

They are awesome for sure! When I am done with another campaign I am currently flying I will probably go back and fly all three of his again - love em!!

Hi dburne

Thanks for the kind words

Next update will bring the ROPL increased difficulty version of the campaign. So a bit more of a challenge next time round, if you choose.

Badger633 

Edited by Badger633
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like on the Boats & Planes mission where you have to refuel at batumi, the ATC does not recognize you have parked and will not give option to contact for takeoff again, I haven't tried shutting off the airplane (to spare me a realignment) but I did park and drive around and it didn't work. Hopefully it doesn't stop from completing the mission.

17 minutes ago, Worrazen said:

Seems like on the Boats & Planes mission where you have to refuel at batumi, the ATC does not recognize you have parked and will not give option to contact for takeoff again, I haven't tried shutting off the airplane (to spare me a realignment) but I did park and drive around and it didn't work. Hopefully it doesn't stop from completing the mission.

Hi

When you landed did You taxi to the end of the runway and follow the Marshall vehicle at the end of the runway. He will take you to the refuel point and you park up behind him.

Are you open beta.

Badger633

7 minutes ago, Badger633 said:

Hi

When you landed did You taxi to the end of the runway and follow the Marshall vehicle at the end of the runway. He will take you to the refuel point and you park up behind him.

Are you open beta.

Badger633

Yes, well, I parked beside him to the right, and the refuled parked to the right of me, I think I parked to the left in the first try, I failed in the first attempt for an unrelated reason.

Actually I completed the mission OK just a moment ago, so this ATC thing doesn't count in terms of scripting.

12 minutes ago, Worrazen said:

Yes, well, I parked beside him to the right, and the refuled parked to the right of me, I think I parked to the left in the first try, I failed in the first attempt for an unrelated reason.

Actually I completed the mission OK just a moment ago, so this ATC thing doesn't count in terms of scripting.

Hi

Glad you completed the mission.

To clarify though the ATC instructions given are 'FOLLOW VEHICLE TO REFUEL POINT AND PARK BEHIND VEHICLE WHEN IT STOPS. So you should have stopped behind him. 

Also in the ATC radio instructions when your refuel is complete you use the F1o menu to confirm. I assume you did this as you got the coordinates etc also advice to contact ATC for take off clearance on channel 1.

So when you contacted ATC on channel 1 as instructed are you saying they would not respond ?

Thanks

Badger633

For some reason I read (or heard) that as "BESIDE", I guess my mistake.

No I couldn't  contact ATC on Batumi, because the comm link stayed open with it (double >>) stuck at Landing in progress, only displaying F12 Exit and F11 Previous Menu, but it takes you out to select ATC, and no option to abort landing or restart.

Edited by Worrazen

15 minutes ago, Worrazen said:

For some reason I read (or heard) that as "BESIDE", I guess my mistake.

No I couldn't  contact ATC on Batumi, because the comm link stayed open with it (double >>) stuck at Landing in progress, only displaying F12 Exit and F11 Previous Menu, but it takes you out to select ATC, and no option to abort landing or restart.

Hi 

Thanks for that. I will check it out and  make any necessary changes. Could be DCS  updates have changed the ATC.

Cheers and enjoy the rest of the campaign 😄👍

Badger633

Spoiler

For mission 1, is there a script which, if you don't refuel at the tanker, increases fuel consumption to be used at a much higher rate than expected?
In the current open beta version, Arco's tacan appears cannot be locked on to, making finding the ship somewhat difficult (ok, there is radar, but all the same..). Twice now I had plenty of fuel to make it to the carrier, but all of a sudden went down to zero when close to landing.

I know there is a skip function, but feel like i'm cheating.

Must've spent ages trying to complete this mission...frustration level is high!

5 hours ago, doomie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

For mission 1, is there a script which, if you don't refuel at the tanker, increases fuel consumption to be used at a much higher rate than expected?
In the current open beta version, Arco's tacan appears cannot be locked on to, making finding the ship somewhat difficult (ok, there is radar, but all the same..). Twice now I had plenty of fuel to make it to the carrier, but all of a sudden went down to zero when close to landing.

I know there is a skip function, but feel like i'm cheating.

Must've spent ages trying to complete this mission...frustration level is high!

Hi doomie

You are not able to pick up the Tacan for Arco because, probably, you are not selecting AA on the up front control which you have to select  to pick up airborne Tacans.

No there is no script controlling fuel quantities unless you are using the EZ refuel campaign option but that should not reduce the fuel as you have explained.

Which version of the campaign are you using?

Hope this helps, enjoy the campaign.

Badger633

6 hours ago, Badger633 said:

You are not able to pick up the Tacan for Arco because, probably, you are not selecting AA on the up front control which you have to select  to pick up airborne Tacans.

D'oh. Self inflicted. Thanks for the correction 🙂

6 hours ago, Badger633 said:

No there is no script controlling fuel quantities unless you are using the EZ refuel campaign option but that should not reduce the fuel as you have explained.

Which version of the campaign are you using?

Spoiler

Standalone version of the campaign on latest open beta, downloaded via the usual module manager.

It's just very weird then. After downing the two migs, remaining fuel was somewhere around 2500lbs. Took 300 or so hunting for arco, then turned back to the Stennis, roughly 75 miles out.  Fpas page suggested 750lbs left (waypoint 0 set as home fuel, but not sure if stennis moves during the mission, but waypoint marker seemed to match up with tacan direction and distance).

Somewhat conservative throttle usage with ATC engaged. Both times fuel ran out 1 mile out from landing.

Not sure if just an unfortunate co-incidence though, so i'll keep on trying 🙂

Thanks so far though. Had the campaign downloaded for ages, but only now started the play-through after completing your first one.