ADMIRAL189'S CORNER - INCOMING SHIP MODELS

Go to solution Solved by ivan-ivanov-1902,

Posted (edited)

Weapons update and new liveries in testing now for the USS Bowen

Here's USS Knox and USS Trippe launching Harpoons from modified ASROC launcher. This update apparently happened during the 1980s and could hold 2 Harpoons and 2 reloads. Since reloads can't be done at sea in DCS I went ahead and added all 4 Harpoons

Screen_240505_191951.jpg

Edited by Beldin
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, Beldin said:

Weapons update and new liveries in testing now for the USS Bowen

Here's USS Knox and USS Trippe launching Harpoons from modified ASROC launcher. This update apparently happened during the 1980s and could hold 2 Harpoons and 2 reloads. Since reloads can't be done at sea in DCS I went ahead and added all 4 Harpoons

Screen_240505_191951.jpg

gonna have USS Pharris on that list?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, bbtbmb said:

gonna have USS Pharris on that list?

That depends if I have to change 1 number or 2 on the hull 😂. But yes that'd be a good one to have🤔 👍

Edited by Beldin
  • Like 3

OooOo! I Cant wait to have both those ships added to my Arsenal! I love that you are doing the 80's Upgrade of her! I did not realize that DCS did not allow Reloads at sea.. Hopefully, they address that at some point but I imagine thats very low priority..

Rig Specs: 34" 3440x1440 Monitor - CPU: Ryzen 7800X3D - GPU: XFX RX 7900 XT Speedster MERC 310 - MOBO: GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX -

SSD: WD BLACK SN-850X 2TB + SN-770 2TB - RAM: 6000Mhz 64GB

13 minutes ago, KrazyPilot said:

I did not realize that DCS did not allow Reloads at sea

It might be possible with a custom weapon. But I think the reload time is part of the weapon lua and since it's the stock ED Harpoon I didn't want to mess with that file.

I do want to look into a bit more through because a 10-15 min pause between anti-ship volleys could make for interesting mission stuff but I guess you could use triggers for that kind of thing

• Like 1

Thanks, Beldin, I mentioned to him I'm creating a new model of the USS Bowen. Much cleaner version. Thanks for your assistance.

Supersylph, I will upload the LCU-1627 to the new site and notify you all once it has been uploaded. Something that caught my attention is the ability for a vehicle to drive into the back of the new CH-47 that will be released next month. I'm hoping they can make that possible for ships as well. It's one reason I have held off on releasing the new LCM-8. I would like to add that feature to the LCU and ships also. I've tried adding a collision model on the ramp but it still doesn't allow vehicles to load.

Italian Frigate update. Texturing is complete on the Comandanti. However, I would like to include RoughMet material but I can't find clear guidance on how to create it. If any of you know how to create a roughMet and or know someone that does please PM me.  CH sent me a link but it seems it's more to it than that. Otherwise, I will texture, code, and make her sea-bound this week. Thank you all for your support and assistance.  

Screenshot-05-05-2024-09-17-55.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'll post the liveries for the "old" Bowen tonight. I still need to remove the name "Kidd" from the stern of the other ships. Since the Admiral is reworking the texture for the Bowen I'm not going to add the ship's name to the new liveries, so it will only be the Hull number for now until the rework is finished. 

• Like 1

Hello everyone. The RoughMet Material issue has been solved thanks to CH and feedback from EightBall. CH took the time to get on a quick call and show me how it's done. Another task checked off my list of things to learn. 

I will work on finishing up the Italian ships for DCS. I am keeping the texturing simple concerning rust and weathering. I will create more hull numbers for the ships. I think they're too large. One of the downsides to creating 3d models using SP is creating liveries. So I will create all four versions of the Comandanti Class Frigate. 

Stay tuned. Thanks for your patience. 

Screenshot-05-06-2024-13-11-17.png

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Admiral189 said:

Hello Everyone. I found some good entertainment for you all. Well deck Operations.  Enjoy!!

Very tempting Admiral ! Any chance we get a mod version of these ?

• Like 2

Admiral Sir,

any update on the USS San Antonio (LPD-17) ? Saw it was in the shipyard for repairs. So love this model, hope you got some news on it soon.

Kind regards,

RWC

Ok here are the new liveries for the Bowen Mod.

This update is for the version current posted on page 1 of the thread. It includes liveries for USS Knox, USS Roark and USS Trippe and a updated lua file. The only change to the lua file is I added the line "mount_vfs_liveries_path (current_mod_path .. "/Liveries")" to load the liveries.

For install back up your USS Bowen FF-1079.lua file then copy the livery folder to your mod folder and overwrite the old ship lua with the new ship lua file.

PM me is you have any issues.

If you would like to help test my "Knox Class" update for the Bowen mod please PM. The update includes radar and weapons updates, the "F" icon for the F10 map and includes 4-6 ships. The 4 1975-94 fit Knox Class frigates and the optional "DE" designation for the Knox and the Roark before they were reclassified in 1975. I picked these 3 ship because of their early commission dates and long service lives. This allows historically possible missions from the late Vietnam War era up through the mid 1990s.

Note: These are some of the few liveries I've tried to make as I learn the process and are not meant to be AAA, but I hope you find them useful until the Admiral is done with rework of the Bowen. Also I will do a USS Pharris after the new version is done 👍. I can't believe I forgot about that ship. "Red Storm Rising" is one of my favorite books🤦‍♂️

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArIUQEKgEWp8gfdplW7Pq_F1--GkLg?e=0cI60i

Screen_240506_194355.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Beldin for your assistance. I mentioned to Beldin there's another Knox Class 3d model in the works. Much cleaner model.

Hey RWC, if you're asking will I be creating those mods? The answer is yes but as you know it will take time.

The San Antonio is a very detailed mod with a welldeck. The problem with that is it's a pretty good size 3d model file and it's a little difficult to work with in 3DS Max at the moment. I'm trying to shrink it so it's manageable. Once it get to a manageable size it won't take long to get it back in DCS. 

After I finish the next batch of 3d model ships I will start working on the Amphibs again. I'm also reworking the LCU. The LCM-8 is pretty much ready to sail. Lots of work to do but i don't mind doing it when I'm able. 

Screenshot-05-08-2024-17-36-06.png

Screenshot-05-08-2024-17-37-24.png

Screenshot-05-08-2024-17-49-59.png

Screenshot-05-08-2024-17-47-10.png

Screenshot-05-08-2024-17-49-37.png

Screenshot-05-08-2024-17-50-53.png

Edited by Admiral189
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Hi @Admiral189 first will say thank you for your efforts. You make the game great!
If you find some free time, can you do some Russian landing boats? For the kola map, the old sowjet plan is to attack Norway with landing ships and they are really missing in the game.

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral189 said:

The San Antonio is a very detailed mod with a welldeck. The problem with that is it's a pretty good size 3d model file and it's a little difficult to work with in 3DS Max at the moment. I'm trying to shrink it so it's manageable. Once it get to a manageable size it won't take long to get it back in DCS. 

After I finish the next batch of 3d model ships I will start working on the Amphibs again. I'm also reworking the LCU. The LCM-8 is pretty much ready to sail. Lots of work to do but i don't mind doing it when I'm able. 

Wow Admiral! - such great news with the well-deck on new San Antonio & amphibious assets. Really enjoy this aspect of combined ops with Land, Sea & Air. Hopefully ED expands embark/disembark functionality to sea vessels, like some heli & vehicle assets. As you also mention with the upcoming Ch-47 & later the C-130, expanding functionality.

To create immersion, in the meanwhile, can use static objects (linked to sea assets) to try simulate this. But I need to try brush up using triggers + scripting to try simulate better dynamic actions (landing etc) - if possible?

Having fun with your USN & British LCU's linking Currenthill's & Massun92 mods which work really well on the decks/surfaces.

Thanks again for all your dedicated & hard work, to make so many of us really happy 😀🙏

z Screen_240507_210041.jpg

z Screen_240507_210916.jpg

z Screen_240507_211032.jpg

z Screen_240508_005620.jpg

• Like 13

Wow, Ggrewe.  Nice to see the amphibious vehicles. It always gives me more motivation to keep going no matter how I feel. When I first created the LCU I think I was able to simulate tanks and soldiers going ashore using the scripts. Almost sure the script is still floating around out there. I do wonder at what point ED will release the new soldiers for DCS. Maybe they will release them with the CH-47.  It seems the Amphibious ships and small assets are the most requested vessels for DCS. I assume it's because of the missions that can be created with them. Whenever you all create an Amphibious assault mission in DCS. Please share it. I would love to see it.  

Also Ggrewe, I appreciate the coffee. Thanks for contributing to my 3d AI Ship modeling efforts. I appreciate it. Thanks. 

--Short Sea story. While stationed onboard my first ship. The USS Spiegel Grove LSD-32 or building 32 because we were always in port broke down. They used to wake us at dark 30 to conduct Welldeck Operations. We would launch the LCUs, LCMs and LARCs with marines. They would be gone for a good while so we used to sleep on the Wing Walls in those big Kpok Lifejackets for hours. The Wingwalls are where we handle lines for the small vessels. As sailors, we slept wherever we could lay our heads. On our first deployment to the Mediterranean Sea, an LCU hit the left side of the ship entering the welldeck so hard that it sent us to the shipyard in Athens, Greece for a week or more for repairs. That was the best liberty I ever had. The good ole days. That was in 1987 BTW. 

Thank you Buur. If you can find some Russian amphibious assets I can bring them to life in DCS. I see there are a lot of Russian ports on the Kola Map. That's a pretty long channel to transit for the ships though. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ggrewe said:

Hopefully ED expands embark/disembark functionality to sea vessels, like some heli & vehicle assets.

You can embark troops from a ship now. The setup in ME is a little convoluted as they must be placed on land in ME but if you use the load at start option they will be in the helicopter on the ship's deck at mission start and will disembark.👍.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ggrewe said:

Wow Admiral! - such great news with the well-deck on new San Antonio & amphibious assets. Really enjoy this aspect of combined ops with Land, Sea & Air. Hopefully ED expands embark/disembark functionality to sea vessels, like some heli & vehicle assets. As you also mention with the upcoming Ch-47 & later the C-130, expanding functionality.

To create immersion, in the meanwhile, can use static objects (linked to sea assets) to try simulate this. But I need to try brush up using triggers + scripting to try simulate better dynamic actions (landing etc) - if possible?

Having fun with your USN & British LCU's linking Currenthill's & Massun92 mods which work really well on the decks/surfaces.

Thanks again for all your dedicated & hard work, to make so many of us really happy 😀🙏

z Screen_240507_210041.jpg

z Screen_240507_210916.jpg

z Screen_240507_211032.jpg

z Screen_240508_005620.jpg

is that a scimitar in the fornt on that bottom pic ? if so where's that from ?

19 hours ago, Admiral189 said:

Thanks, Beldin for your assistance. I mentioned to Beldin there's another Knox Class 3d model in the works. Much cleaner model.

Hey RWC, if you're asking will I be creating those mods? The answer is yes but as you know it will take time.

Screenshot-05-08-2024-17-36-06.png

Screenshot-05-08-2024-17-37-24.png

Screenshot-05-08-2024-17-49-59.png

Screenshot-05-08-2024-17-47-10.png

Screenshot-05-08-2024-17-49-37.png

Screenshot-05-08-2024-17-50-53.png

would this amphib update also include a RN Bay Class ??

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Admiral189 said:

Nice to see the amphibious vehicles.

Crazy idea. I was thinking if you added "runway spot(s)" to well deck maybe we could code a LCAC as a helicopter..... A very low flying one and then launch and recover it🤷‍♂️. As crazy as it sounds I think the recovery thing might work, but the take off dynamics of the different helicopters make me think the launching thing could never work. Although the Apache (I think) tend to drift backward quite a bit during take off.....🤔 

Edited by Beldin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, andyc said:

is that a scimitar in the fornt on that bottom pic ? if so where's that from ?

would this amphib update also include a RN Bay Class ??

you can use the Spanish ship Galicia as a stand-in for Bay class boat until one is available.. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Beldin said:

Crazy idea. I was thinking if you added "runway spot(s)" to well deck maybe we could code a LCAC as a helicopter..... A very low flying one and then launch and recover it🤷‍♂️. As crazy as it sounds I think the recovery thing might work, but the take off dynamics of the different helicopters make me think the launching thing could never work. Although the Apache (I think) tend to drift backward quite a bit during take off.....🤔 

might work for the lcvp on the albion class though if we could animate the landing craft launching mechanism as they go over the side like helicopter does

2 hours ago, andyc said:

might work for the lcvp on the albion class though if we could animate the landing craft launching mechanism as they go over the side like helicopter does

Sadly it seems that you can't make a helicopter fly 10 feet above the water/ground 🤦‍♂️. But I was a bit surprised how close I got to making it actually work😂. There is a LHD Essex mod out there with the well deck open. And I was able to "land" dock a LCAC in the well deck. Unfortunately it did this by lowering itself through the deck of the ship.😂. A real genius with the helicopter code might be able to pull it off. But it might be faster to just wait for ED to add it as a feature. 

• Like 2

Hey Andyo, no RN Amphib for the moment. The Bay Class will come eventually along with the Canberra and the TCG Anadolu. 

Testing has started on the USS America. It will take time to bring her back up to speed. I'm testing her weapons which will be revamped along with weapon sounds. I will leave the Aircraft testing to Beldin. Snapshots are below.

Today is Mother's Day here in the US Although every day is Mother's and Father's Day. So no modeling today. 

Digital-Combat-Simulator-Black-Shark-Scr

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3