Oculus to begin the merge with Facebook

dburne

I loved my rift CV1. Its too bad really, I'll never buy a FB product.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Well, that made my mind up now. G2 it is. I've never had a Facebook account and never will except for the shadow account they setup for all of us against our will and without our knowledge.

Yeah , they prolly know more about me than i do , and i have Never had an account :( I can't help but feel that it is a shame what they've done to Oculus .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I loved my rift CV1. Its too bad really, I'll never buy a FB product.

So do I, especially because it is my first VR experience, but a G2 would bring it to another level, so it's good for now until I get the finances to buy one.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Whilst I am in agreement with the majority's opinion here on the change to requiring a Facebook Account for any new VR headsets from Oculus, I would not totally trash them with this decision.

Obviously their goal is not to get a bigger piece of the VR pie that exists out there today ( like what we do here), but to create new markets and really grow the VR industry by leaps and bounds.

Remains to be seen whether they can or not.

However, having a larger and faster growing market for VR is good for the complete VR industry, so all of VR should benefit from it hopefully. Perhaps it will mean even better technology along with better headsets from others in a faster time frame which will benefit us flight simmers.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Whilst I am in agreement with the majority's opinion here on the change to requiring a Facebook Account for any new VR headsets from Oculus, I would not totally trash them with this decision.

Obviously their goal is not to get a bigger piece of the VR pie that exists out there today ( like what we do here), but to create new markets and really grow the VR industry by leaps and bounds.

Remains to be seen whether they can or not.

However, having a larger and faster growing market for VR is good for the complete VR industry, so all of VR should benefit from it hopefully. Perhaps it will mean even better technology along with better headsets from others in a faster time frame which will benefit us flight simmers.

What is certainly not good is monopoly, something Facebook are quiet good at, and more to the point, they manipulate the gaming Industry, going after the developers of the Unreal engine is one example.

Nobody in the long term is going to truly beneficiate from their policies, what this industry really need is competition, not aggressive take overs.

Zukenberg has little to do in the VR industry, all what interests him is profit and this is not how developers come up with the best products, Epic Games is one good example of that, they no longer are independent but are tied up with Oculus/Facebook.

We can try to put politics aside but that will never be an option with Facebook as long as they do not have a Publisher status, and remain politically neutral, which they obviously are not today.

With the games comes an educational role/message, I noticed how it is already politicized using my CV1, chances are it's going to get worse, not better.

So can you trust them not to give into pure indoctrination through gaming as they are with silencing hundred of thousand of Facebook users not in line with their political views? I wouldn't.

If I had Children, I would not give them access to this network even less to any VR linked to Facebook for their lack of integrity.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Zukenburg is a detriment to society and I refuse to support FB in any way, shape, or form.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

The creative minds at Oculus all got Zucked and left.

I just had to repair my CV1 by buying a new cable for it. The cable is unrepairable (because of hair thin wires, the way they are wrapped, and a proprietary chip in the plug), is unubtainable from Oculus, and cost me $140 used from Ebay. I took very, very good care of my cable and used it 80% of the time seated. It still broke.

Screw Zuckerberg and his narcissistic megalomania.

• 2 weeks later...

Please indulge me for a minute and let me get this straight. I have a Rift CV1 and a Rift S and in two years I will not be able to use them, after dropping $400/ea? Is that correct?

And secondly, I went to see about setting up a FB account and apparently I had created one years ago and now it has been disabled. I must have set it up for something else because I don't even know how to post on on FB! So now even if I wanted to or didn't mind using a FB to long in, I can't now. So are my days numbered with My Rift S because I will not be able to log in? Or can I create a new FB account just to be able to log in to my Oculus? Excuse my ignorance!!!

I am not a happy camper!

Thanks!

Please indulge me for a minute and let me get this straight. I have a Rift CV1 and a Rift S and in two years I will not be able to use them, after dropping $400/ea? Is that correct?

And secondly, I went to see about setting up a FB account and apparently I had created one years ago and now it has been disabled. I must have set it up for something else because I don't even know how to post on on FB! So now even if I wanted to or didn't mind using a FB to long in, I can't now. So are my days numbered with My Rift S because I will not be able to log in? Or can I create a new FB account just to be able to log in to my Oculus? Excuse my ignorance!!!

I am not a happy camper!

Thanks!

You are fine with your current Oculus devices till Jan 2023, at which time you would be required to have the Facebook Account to continue using them.

However if you buy a new device, like the upcoming updated Quest that is anticipated, then it would tie you in to requiring a FB account. Or if they release a new Rift before then, the same would apply.

But yes, you can create a new Facebook Account. Just set everything to private and leave it alone, nothing says you have to have friends and all that.

I have a Facebook Account I use for my family and close friends. I have never tied it into my Oculus account and likely won't. I do not like this move by Oculus at all. They would have to release a truly kick ass PC-VR headset for me even to consider it. By Jan 2023 I doubt I will be using Oculus unless there are no other options at that time.

I get what they are doing, and it is good for the VR industry overall by growing it. But I don't have to like it or participate in it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You are fine with your current Oculus devices till Jan 2023, at which time you would be required to have the Facebook Account to continue using them.

However if you buy a new device, like the upcoming updated Quest that is anticipated, then it would tie you in to requiring a FB account. Or if they release a new Rift before then, the same would apply.

But yes, you can create a new Facebook Account. Just set everything to private and leave it alone, nothing says you have to have friends and all that.

I have a Facebook Account I use for my family and close friends. I have never tied it into my Oculus account and likely won't. I do not like this move by Oculus at all. They would have to release a truly kick ass PC-VR headset for me even to consider it. By Jan 2023 I doubt I will be using Oculus unless there are no other options at that time.

I get what they are doing, and it is good for the VR industry overall by growing it. But I don't have to like it or participate in it.

Thanks for your reply. I have never been a big fan of FB my wife and made a choice about seven years ago not to do FB. I had talked with her about the situation and figured we could set one up just for logging in. But I completely agree with you by the time 2023 rolls around I will probably move to another headset. I failed to mention that I have a reverb but it has so much "ghosting" that it is hard to use. I will probably revert back to it when I get a new system. Which will probably be my first ever build...Yikes!! Again thanks for the info!

Just remember, if you set up a Facebook account, they will hi-jack your contacts list for the e-mail address you use to sign up. It happened to me, and I didn't even give them any personally-identifying information when I signed up. Best to kick Oculus to the curb when the mandate arrives.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Now if we could just get other countries to enact laws to protect peoples' data from companies like Facebook.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: