So.. what's the initial verdict on VR performance

sirrah

I have the Valve Index (using in SteamVR SS 1.0 as default and DCS VR Options PD 1.5) and running at 120hz refresh rate, i tried to lower the Index refresh rate for 90hz because i thought it consume a lot resources at 120hz but it´s worse, so i fly at 120hz.

I’d personally start with suggesting trying to revert your pd to 1.0. Pd is one of the most impactful things you can do in terms of performance you are more than doubling your effective number of pixels you are driving with a pd of 1.5...

I would also Ensure that hot plug devices are turned off https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251377.

It’s laborious but I would also pull back the strings you currently have in game to VR settings, and the. Increase them one at time... dropping to desktop after each change before reloading dcs.

Finally it would be good to understand where you are bottlenecked, can you run FPSvr and see where the red is? The gpu or cpu or both? My guess is both at the moment?

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I’d personally start with suggesting trying to revert your pd to 1.0. Pd is one of the most impactful things you can do in terms of performance you are more than doubling your effective number of pixels you are driving with a pd of 1.5...

I would also Ensure that hot plug devices are turned off https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251377.

It’s laborious but I would also pull back the strings you currently have in game to VR settings, and the. Increase them one at time... dropping to desktop after each change before reloading dcs.

Finally it would be good to understand where you are bottlenecked, can you run FPSvr and see where the red is? The gpu or cpu or both? My guess is both at the moment?

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and suggestion.

But I'm not going to lower my PD.

I have heavy modded and scripted missions with SC with PD 1.5 and dont stutter like this.

My test mission in Syria only have one plane, mine, and performs below acceptable,

In 2D i have about 90/120 fps on the ground and in the air i get 180/250 fps.

I spent months optimizing my graphics config and DCS, if the stutters were among all of my maps and missions i'll consider lower my PD but i think that is not the culprit. And by the way, i use the autoexec file with Hotplug devices line.

My GPU usage is 99% and CPU around 35%, so, the desirable values here.

Thank you again for your help,

F.

Edited by fagulha

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Not great for me, I set all my settings so they run smooth on every map even in large scale multiplayer so far, but flying NOE east of the Sea of Galilee into the Golan Heights, without huge cities or anything, I had very slight stuttering almost all the time.

Will test in more detail after deleting the shader stuff and cleanup and repair.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and suggestion.

But I'm not going to lower my PD.

I have heavy modded and scripted missions with SC with PD 1.5 and dont stutter like this.

My test mission in Syria only have one plane, mine, and performs below acceptable,

In 2D i have about 90/120 fps on the ground and in the air i get 180/250 fps.

I spent months optimizing my graphics config and DCS, if the stutters were among all of my maps and missions i'll consider lower my PD but i think that is not the culprit. And by the way, i use the autoexec file with Hotplug devices line.

My GPU usage is 99% and CPU around 35%, so, the desirable values here.

Thank you again for your help,

F.

it's pretty simple math .. its a more graphically intense map and its less optimized , but functionally we are on the same hardware and you are drawing 5.1m pixels per eye, I'm drawing 4.6m pixels per eye and getting "fine" 45FPS performance

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

it's pretty simple math .. its a more graphically intense map and its less optimized , but functionally we are on the same hardware and you are drawing 5.1m pixels per eye, I'm drawing 4.6m pixels per eye and getting "fine" 45FPS performance

It´s simple math yes, but as i said, i have missions with +100 static objects, mods, scripts and the performance is not so bad that´s why i believe the problem it´s not my settings alone. As you said, needs optimization. it´s a new map, more demanding of course, i´ll wait and see for further updates.

Thank you for your insight/help. Meanwhile i´m going to do more tests.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

One of the things I have noticed is when you change either resolution (PD) in VR or you change a graphics setting that changes the quality of the textures you have to delete the FXO and metashader2 cache.

A test I did was to sit with the F16 at Incirlik and go to the external view (F2) and pan out as far as you can and move your view point so you are inside the city or just above it and pan around while moving your head in VR, if you get horrible stuttering and ghosting then delete the above.

the only setting I have come across that doesn't need to have the "delete" done is when messing with the MSAA, To be honest I'm not sure why there isn't a piece of code that automatically deletes the folder contents when you make a change to the GFX settings and DCS restarts.

I have tried this with a number of settings mainly with PD when changed need to have the delete method otherwise you jump back in and you have terrible FPS again.

hope this helps.

One of the things I have noticed is when you change either resolution (PD) in VR or you change a graphics setting that changes the quality of the textures you have to delete the FXO and metashader2 cache.

A test I did was to sit with the F16 at Incirlik and go to the external view (F2) and pan out as far as you can and move your view point so you are inside the city or just above it and pan around while moving your head in VR, if you get horrible stuttering and ghosting then delete the above.

the only setting I have come across that doesn't need to have the "delete" done is when messing with the MSAA, To be honest I'm not sure why there isn't a piece of code that automatically deletes the folder contents when you make a change to the GFX settings and DCS restarts.

I have tried this with a number of settings mainly with PD when changed need to have the delete method otherwise you jump back in and you have terrible FPS again.

hope this helps.

Thank you for your tip! although it didn´t worked for me.

I usually delete FXO and Metashaders cache, but not as you did, so i will use your way from now on as reference.

Just a note:

One of the times i started the mission was at 30 fps and fluid, as i intended, next time i loaded the mission i get again 20/24 fps. Don´t see the logic.

will keep on testing,

Thank you,

F.

I disabled Turbo Mode on BIOS for testing, tried different configs in Bios and Nvidia control panel too, and the stutter in VR is less. If someone want to try this solution go ahead. Far for perfect but for now is what i have so i stick with it. The problem of stutter or low fps happens when looking at the hardened shelters. Now i have 25/29 fps (a little more than before) but with less stuttering.

Best regards,

F.

I disabled Turbo Mode on BIOS for testing, tried different configs in Bios and Nvidia control panel too, and the stutter in VR is less. If someone want to try this solution go ahead. Far for perfect but for now is what I have so I stick with it. The problem of stutter or low fps happens when looking at the hardened shelters. Now I have 25/29 fps (a little more than before) but with less stuttering.

Best regards,

F.

I Have done some more testing myself and I have since noticed that FXO content deleting in the save games folder only works for a short time usually around 10-20 minutes before I start to see the stutters re appear.

I was concerned that it could have been linked to some of the DCS modules as performance can very depending on the type of module. To eliminate this I went into the editor and just started the map without any units or modules and I basically just panned around the map for 10 minutes using the mouse and noticed that I started to get stutters 6 minutes into my panning about.

I think there is something going on here with memory or some issue with how the textures are working with DCS. Going back to the standard DCS maps I can immediately see the impact in performance the Syria map has on my system compared to the PG map or the caucuses.

Hoping this problem can be solved as beautiful as this map is, its starting to come at a cost in performance that is outside the control of the user it seems.:cry:

I Have done some more testing myself and I have since noticed that FXO content deleting in the save games folder only works for a short time usually around 10-20 minutes before I start to see the stutters re appear.

I was concerned that it could have been linked to some of the DCS modules as performance can very depending on the type of module. To eliminate this I went into the editor and just started the map without any units or modules and I basically just panned around the map for 10 minutes using the mouse and noticed that I started to get stutters 6 minutes into my panning about.

I think there is something going on here with memory or some issue with how the textures are working with DCS. Going back to the standard DCS maps I can immediately see the impact in performance the Syria map has on my system compared to the PG map or the caucuses.

Hoping this problem can be solved as beautiful as this map is, its starting to come at a cost in performance that is outside the control of the user it seems.:cry:

Indeed.

I´m sure the devs are working on this. That´s what i want to believe.

Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards,

F.

Flew the UH-1H in the vicinity of Beirut, Damascus, Palmyra.

All flights without shadows, and low to medium settings.

Beirut no stuttering (beautiful port!).

Damascus was too much for my system, heavy stuttering even when flying higher.

Palmyra was fine.

Anyway: what a nice piece of software! The map looks A M A Z I N G !!!

Did some adjustments to my configuration:

Textures are now on Medium, and it seems the stuttering is far less.

The cockpits are not not as good readable anymore (UH-1H) is now really difficult.

Thus I will thread a wish to the DCS 2.5 common forum to separate cockpit textures from normal object textures.

This wish includes separation of shadows for cockpit/objects/terrain objects as well.

As a user I would like to have the quality settings separated to really get out of the system as much as possible.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Can I suggest......

Hi Guys and Gals,

can I suggest visiting

and whatching Lukas S Wolta's DCS:VR Opimization videos.

After an initial flight that was a little dissapointing, I made many of the changes recommended by Lukas and found the next flight to be much smoother.

Granted, these settings are designed to help with those running DCS in VR but there are settings that I believe would help those who are still using a monitor.

Worth a try at least.

Salute.

Edited by Kaos

| FC3 | KA-50 | A-10C | MIG-21Bis | F-86F | UH-1H | HAWK T.1A | F/A-18C | AV-8B N\A | F-14B | F-16C | AJS-37 | CA | NEVADA | PERSIAN GULF | SUPER CARRIER | SYRIA