V sync or not?

Hi, after downloading Syria, I was tweaking my settings to maximise frame rate a bit , previously, I had been using the sync option..... in ticking it seems to give higher frames, but I get some tearing when moving my head quickly, is there a way to reduce this without sacrificing my extra frames? My monitor refresh rate is 60hz

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Hi, after downloading Syria, I was tweaking my settings to maximise frame rate a bit , previously, I had been using the sync option..... in ticking it seems to give higher frames, but I get some tearing when moving my head quickly, is there a way to reduce this without sacrificing my extra frames? My monitor refresh rate is 60hz

Dont use in game V-SYNC instead try rivatuner framelimit or scanline sync

https://www.resetera.com/threads/guide-how-to-use-rtsss-scanline-sync-to-reduce-stuttering-screen-tearing-and-input-lag-on-pc-alternative-to-vsync-g-sync-and-freesync.138764/

303 & Friends discord

Hangar :

JF-17 Thunder, F-16C Viper, I-16, Christen Eagle II, F-14 Tomcat, Supercarrier, WWII Assets Pack, F/A-18C Hornet, AJS-37 Viggen, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E Tiger II, M-2000C, MiG-15bis, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst, Fw 190 D-9 Dora, F-86F Sabre, Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D Mustang, A-10C Warthog,SA342 Gazelle, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Black Shark II, Persian Gulf Map, Normandy 1944 Map,

Use a Freesync/Gsync display. Or go for VR.

Nvidia settings have some options in between sync on and off. The best one I tried was called Fast sync.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Use a Freesync/Gsync display. Or go for VR.

Nvidia settings have some options in between sync on and off. The best one I tried was called Fast sync.

I can confirm!

SLI System 60 Hz Monitor by DELL 4K

Setting it to Fast and turn off the Frame Limiter in NVIDIA Profile for DCS.

Make sure VSYNC is OFF in DCS game settings.

Cockpit 80-90 Frames at DCS Maxed out. No Image tearing whatssoever.

If you're using Adaptive Refresh (Freesync/G-Sync) then make sure VSync is also turned on in the graphics driver, but not in the sim.

It will clamp your framerate to the max allowed by your monitor, but will not introduce stuttering when the sim is running at the max FPS.

If you're not using Adaptive Refresh with DCS... then, you're on your own :) Besides, since you forked out a small fortune for a mighty PC, you should know how to use Freesync/G-Sync anyway. It kicks ass--use it! Used together with Vsync in the graphics driver, it produces the ultimate smooth, stutter-free and tear-free experience.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

If you're using Adaptive Refresh (Freesync/G-Sync) then make sure VSync is also turned on in the graphics driver, but not in the sim.

Adaptive Refresh is not an option if you use G-Sync. It's removed from the option as soon as you select G-Sync. You only have ON/OFF/FAST (latest nVidia driver)

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Since I only have a regular 2D set up and TV Vsync and ensuring the settings keep the GPU capable of producing (in my case) the 60 frames required is the only solution I can find to reduce/eliminate uneven frame pacing. My system can knock out 120-200 fps plus at 20000ft but obviously when flying lower the fps drops and, without vsync, uneven frame pacing starts to become a problem under 90-100 fps.

I assume Gsync/freesync works differently but Im never sure what people mean by Vsync costing them frames. I can only think they mean when the gpu cant render the required 60 it cuts it to 30 even for just one of two frames (something not always apparent on an FPS counter that averages per fames over a second which is I guess why you see all sorts of numbers not just the 30 as the gpu flips from 30 to 60 even nth of a second)

Im also unsure if people (including me) fully understand what Fast sync is doing. According to a very boring and long video by Nvidia, on a 60hz its not giving you 90fps magically on screen. It giving you 60. The 90 figure is what the engine is kicking out into the flip flop buffers and fast sync is selceting the most recent complete frame to reduce lag. Fast is supposed to work best when you have twice the fps being produced as required by the monitor but ive seen some good results when this is not the case. For me however, its a stutter fest. Adaptive sync - pah - awful. Like looking into a water filled pessary dish you just tapped. Limiters also never give me a smooth experience since its not pacing the frames just imposing a hard ceiling and at 60 its too low a number to work.

Given my complete intolerance of uneven frames (stutter), I think i will always prefer a Vsync throttled GPU producing 60 even frames and some reduction in settings over a GPU thats kicking out frames unevenly making a numb FPS counter look good. Even if vsync does cost a few frames. At the end of the day and on a regular monitor once you are under the refresh rate, even for a split second, you are in trouble and its then only a question of how much judder you can stand.

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Adaptive Refresh is not an option if you use G-Sync. It's removed from the option as soon as you select G-Sync. You only have ON/OFF/FAST (latest nVidia driver)

Adaptive Refresh *is* G-Sync/Freesync.

You're thinking about Vsync, which is different--it limits the GPU render rate to to refresh rate of the monitor.

G-Sync and Vsync can be used together. I usually do. G-Sync does not limit the framerate to the max refresh rate of the monitor--that's what Vsync is for.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Adaptive Refresh *is* G-Sync/Freesync.

You're thinking about Vsync, which is different

Yup, mixed it up with Adaptive VSync...:cry:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Im never sure what people mean by Vsync costing them frames.

Just observe the same scenario with vsync on and off, e.g. sitting on the runway or some place you don't normally get 60fps. You will probably see a 5-10% framerate difference. It costs gpu horsepower to do vsync. My understanding is that the gsync/freesync displays do that work instead.

Long story short, 90fps looks fantastic in DCS, but you will never see it with a standard 60Hz display no matter what the framerate counter says.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria