RWS with and without LTWS

redboot

I don’t think there’s any advantage to turning off ltws except maybe to avoid cluttering your screen with l&s information.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Also you wouldnt be able to IFF without STTing people. So yea dont see why youd want to tbh

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Just did some testing. Yeah, it's more like they should just have LTWS as default and a declutter button to go into RWS. Also, they say you can't launch and guide AIM120s at LNS and DT2 targets in LTWS mode but I can shoot both down just fine. There's even the "shoot" cue in the HUD.

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
TM Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home x64 | 
My HOTAS Profiles

Just did some testing. Yeah, it's more like they should just have LTWS as default and a declutter button to go into RWS. Also, they say you can't shoot AIM120s at the LNS and DT2 in LTWS mode but I can shoot both down just fine.

LTWS is on by default. Unless that has changed recently? :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Also, they say you can't shoot AIM120s at the LNS and DT2 in LTWS mode but I can shoot both down just fine.

IIRC you can shoot, but it's not recommended, because usually, the RWS/LTWS trackfile update rate isn't high enough to ensure good trackfile quality. I also remember reading the radar will automatically transition to TWS AUTO on the L&S upon launch, to improve trackfile quality, but don't quote me on that, I'm unsure of the source.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

LTWS is on by default. Unless that has changed recently? :huh:

It is on by default. What I meant was that LTWS shouldn't even be a subset option of RWS. It could have been the main thing and then you 'declutter' into RWS if need be. If that makes better design sense. LoL

Update: Ok, maybe because datalink has to be turned on to use LTWS, therefore RWS is the baseline default.

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
My HOTAS Profiles

IIRC you can shoot, but it's not recommended, because usually, the RWS/LTWS trackfile update rate isn't high enough to ensure good trackfile quality. I also remember reading the radar will automatically transition to TWS AUTO on the L&S upon launch, to improve trackfile quality, but don't quote me on that, I'm unsure of the source.

I thought it might transition to TWS too but I checked the Attk RDR page when launching at both targets and post launch as well, and it still indicated "RWS" on the top left all the time.

In Chuck's guide as well as in one video tutorial I saw, they both said you cannot launch weapons in LTWS mode. I guess that needs to be updated?

I would agree though the radar scan focus in LTWS with LNS/DT2 would not be as good compared to TWS since it's still stays in RWS general scan mode (pre STT) with no azimuth restrictions.

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

My HOTAS Profiles

I thought it might transition to TWS too but I checked the Attk RDR page when launching at both targets and post launch as well, and it still indicated "RWS" on the top left all the time.

Oh, I didn't mean it works like that in DCS right now. Just that I read that it should work like that.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It is on by default. What I meant was that LTWS shouldn't even be a subset option of RWS. It could have been the main thing and then you 'declutter' into RWS if need be. If that makes better design sense. LoL

Update: Ok, maybe because datalink has to be turned on to use LTWS, therefore RWS is the baseline default.

If you turn off D/L you should still have the "auto" IFF active with LTWS, rigth? So there would still be a reason to switch LTWS on/off explicitly.

Regarding declutter, I was of the impression that turning LTWS off deactivates data acquisition and processing entirely rather than just removing the symbology from the display. Otherwise, it would surely be called something like DCLT or the like.

So still, there must be some disadvantages to having this turned on, otherwise, it could be "hardcoded" into RWS as said before and there would be not option to turn this off...

Edited by gofrm76

AH-64D | AV-8B | A-10C II | A-4E | F-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | M-2000C | UH-1H | Mig-21bis | L-39 | F-86F | P-47D | P-51D | BF 109 | Spitfire | BS3 | FC3 | SC | CA

Intel® Core™ i7-13700K | NVIDIA RTX 4090 | 64 GB DDR5 RAM | Aorus Elite Z790 | 50“ UHD LG Monitor | Windows 11 Pro

VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base | VPC Apache-64 Collective Grip | VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip | VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base | TM F-16/A-10 Stick  | TM F/A-18 Stick

TM HOTAS Warthog (DSE Slew Upgrade) | TM Hotas Cougar (FSSB) | TM Pendular Rudder | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5

When searching in RWS mode, why would you ever choose not to enable LTWS? The LTWS information is more granular and helpful. Is there some advantage to running RWS without LTWS enabled that escapes me?

Because of all that clutter it introduces on display. I never use it, if I need more info I switch to TWS.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

If you turn off D/L you should still have the "auto" IFF active with LTWS, rigth? So there would still be a reason to switch LTWS on/off explicitly.

Regarding declutter, I was of the impression that turning LTWS off deactivates data acquisition and processing entirely rather than just removing the symbology from the display. Otherwise, it would surely be called something like DCLT or the like.

So still, there must be some disadvantages to having this turned on, otherwise, it could be "hardcoded" into RWS as said before and there would be not option to turn this off...

Yes, you are right. D/L off + LTWS on = auto IFF in RDR but blank SA.

I find LTWS is like TWS in RWS without the radar focus and azimuth limitation. And you can fire at both LNS and DT2 and get good hits despite some manuals/tutorials saying that you cannot launch missiles in LTWS.

My HOTAS Profiles