Mission 9, GPS Issue

gixxer123

Hi,

first of all I want to thank you for that great campaign. I am currently playing mission 9 and currently have some issues dealing with the coordinates from Venom.

For example the first coordinates I get from them (the ZSU) are: N 25-53-59, E54-32-31, elevation 13. When I look up that coordinates using the Lightning Pod I end up at a spot in the ocean. See screenshot for that. That position is about 2500 feet off the actual position of the ZSU. Using the F10 Map, I could validate that the position of the ZSU machtes the coordinates from Venom.

Any clues what is wrong here?

Thanks, Frank

attachment.php?attachmentid=246035&stc=1&d=1598609746

Untitled.thumb.png.a6e493773eb6431e941f2c6260c37ea2.png

I know what the issue is.

The coordinates given to us by the JTACs in all of the missions are in DD MM SS, where the hornet's nav system only accepts DD MM.MM

So if you are given 25-53-59, that's 25 degrees, 53 minutes, 59 seconds. You need to convert 59 seconds into decimal minutes. Since there are 60 seconds in a minute, it becomes 25 53.98 or something close to that (you can convert it mathematically or via a converter but I'm doing it in my head)

It's a bigger problem in Mission 11, where you're hitting the hawk sites. He gives you precise coords in DD MM SS.S, but there's no way to input it into the UFC.

Edit: though I think for JDAM/JSOW preplanned you can enter DD MM SS.SS... you just can’t swing your pod onto it to be sure what you are dropping on.

Edit 2: I do seem to remember, at one time, you would enter coordinates as DD MM SS and it would appear, converted, in DD MM.MM on the DDI. However, they now seem to appear on the DDI as entered in DD MM.MM without conversion. I may need to do some testing...

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Ah, may have found out how to change the Hornet format to DD MM SS.SS! Starts at 33sec.

Before seeing this I thought precise only accepted DD MM.MMMM - colour me schooled.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Changing the coordinate system seems mandatory if not just finding the target from F10 map and then zooming there with TGP. The coordinates do point close to the target.

As seen in that video and this picture that just made from the mission area

1) Select A/C in HSI data page

2) Change format

3) Coordinates given in mission will work now if make a new waypoint

4) TPG shows different numbers than waypoint now, but you get the target here in mission

CoordinateSystem.thumb.png.77ec8d363ae605839c9948476bb6f3e2.png

Edit: This image is took from mission editor. Pay no attension to waypoint number that happens to be 2 in the image. Also no target is show because of this.

Edited by RpSPT
Additional info to the image

I find it interesting that this 'bug' isn't a bug at all, but instead is forcing us all to learn something we didn't know about JDAM and the aircraft's weapon systems. :D

Touche!

• 2 weeks later...

Man it sure would be nice if we could get a standard for coords in the hornet! Maybe UTM Grid will solve this issue, but I constantly struggle with this issue because there is no standard! UGH. I had the same issue. I guess I'll need to redo this mission with the other coord format selected.

OK yeah, just redid mission with correct format selected on HSI page and it's much smoother!!! OK, Baltic, if you're reading this recommend the subtitles be updated to reflect the desired format. I checked them during the mission and they are just displayed as numbers, which can be confusing as to whether they are DM.M or in this case DMS. By displaying the subtitles with the correct symbols it may alleviate some confusion, or add is is a mission designer note so folks switch their HSI's over to the correct format prior to fencing in. My .02 cents!

Edited by epolta

• 2 months later...