export.lua mess hard to maintain

With several 3rd party programs hooking into DCS I constantly run into trouble after updates.

TacView overwrites it, Vaicom messes with it, SRS gets kicked by other programs' shenanigans ever so often.

How about a startup parser that loops over seperate files like:

vaicom.export.lua

srs.export.lua

rsmapper.export.lua

so they don't interfere?

This is already implemented with the hook scripts.

The documentation is in API\DCS_ControlAPI.html

Can you give some more details?

SRS uses both Hooks GameGUI and Export.lua

With export.lua everyone that hooks has to a good citizen - but not all scripts are

For example SRS export.lua line is just

pcall(function() local dcsSr=require('lfs');dofile(dcsSr.writedir()..[[Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts\DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua]]); end,nil);

To try to catch any loading errors

In the file itself the two functions are:

-- Prev Export functions from other hooks
local _prevExport = {}
_prevExport.LuaExportActivityNextEvent = LuaExportActivityNextEvent
_prevExport.LuaExportBeforeNextFrame = LuaExportBeforeNextFrame

LuaExportActivityNextEvent = function(tCurrent)
   local tNext = tCurrent + 0.1 

local _status, _result = pcall(function()

-- SOME CODE
   end)

if not _status then
       SR.log('ERROR: ' .. _result)
   end

-- Call original function if it exists / other hooks before me
       if _prevExport.LuaExportActivityNextEvent then
           _prevExport.LuaExportActivityNextEvent(tCurrent)
       end

end)

if not _status then
       SR.log('ERROR Calling other LuaExportActivityNextEvent from another script: ' .. _result)
   end

return tNext
end

LuaExportBeforeNextFrame = function()

-- read from socket

--- SOME CODE
   end)

if not _status then
       SR.log('ERROR LuaExportBeforeNextFrame SRS: ' .. _result)
   end

-- call original
   _status, _result = pcall(function()
       -- Call original function if it exists
       if _prevExport.LuaExportBeforeNextFrame then
           _prevExport.LuaExportBeforeNextFrame()
       end
   end)

if not _status then
       SR.log('ERROR Calling other LuaExportBeforeNextFrame from another script: ' .. _result)
   end

end

Saving any existing LuaExportBeforeNextFrame and then calling my version, then passing back up the chain so all the other scripts hanging off work

The issue is others dont always properly handle errors on their end - causing all the scripts in the chain to break.

Could Export.lua be done in the same way as GameGUI where you have multiple gamegui luas?

Is that already in place and if so, how do we name the file?

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

• ED Team
Could Export.lua be done in the same way as GameGUI where you have multiple gamegui luas?

Is that already in place and if so, how do we name the file?

Hooks have almost all Export API calls available to them. If you miss any functionality, please tell.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Hooks have almost all Export API calls available to them. If you miss any functionality, please tell.

That I didnt know... Thank you!

Calls in Export I currently use are:

• Loading Terrain using local terrain = require('terrain') and a load of other imports to get terrain to load. Needed for terrain.isVisible call for Line of Sight calculations
  • LoGetSelfData()
  • LoGetPlayerPlaneId()
  • LoGetCameraPosition()
  • LoLoCoordinatesToGeoCoordinates(point)
  • GetDevice with get_argument_value & get_frequency() & get_modulation()
  • list_indication(indicator_id)

Are these all available? If so I'll move all that over to the Hook and stop using the export.lua entirely

Not sure TacView or any other author knows that they can exclusively use the Hooks environment and ignore the export one

Thank you!

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

• ED Team

Are these all available? If so I'll move all that over to the Hook and stop using the export.lua entirely

They should be. I've just checked the code and Export.* contains all the API available in Export.lua, except for a couple of deprecated functions (which you definitely do not use).

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Yep, the list of functions in API/DCS_ControlAPI.html#export-api needs an update, but the actual list is the same as in Export.lua by design.
Thank you! This made my week :)

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Ok sorry one is missing - or I'm misunderstanding how to use it

In the Export.lua there is

list_indication

I use this to to read the UFC in the hornet to work out the state of MIDS and Guard on a radio (same in Harrier and F16). This is also used extensively by DCS-BIOS for Home cockpits

in the GameGUI environment I found an undocumented call

Export.GetIndicator()

Which returns something with the same parameters as list_indication - for example for the Hornet list_indication(6) is the upfront UFC

I cant figure out what methods it has in order to read the value of the indicator

Any pointers?

Edit: the returned object has 3 methods - but none of which seem to return any data. As such list_indication is still needed from the Export.lua environment.

Is there any chance this could be added as Export.list_indication in the newer GameGUI environment? This would allow DCS-BIOS, SRS and others to migrate fully to GameGUI (i think)

Edited by Ciribob

• 5 weeks later...

One last bump @c0ff :)

If list_indicators is added, DCS-BIOS (or any cockpit integration) plus SRS can be gone using GameGUI / hooks and migrate away from Export.lua

Understood this is not a priority in any way though!

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I know that other games export all that data to a central location so that devs/moders can cherry pick the data they need instead of messing with an export.lua to "ask" for the stuff they need, possible interrupting other necessary or critical game functions. Moving away form the export.lua method would be awesome for established and new devs.

• 3 years later...

@c0ff, any updates on `list_indication` function? It is available in Export environment and isn't in Hook and it is a major missing feature of the hooks. 

Верните короновирус в качестве главной проблемы, спать в маске буду, обещаю.

Скрытый текст

Hardware: AMD 5900x, 64Gb RAM@3200MHz, NVidia RTX3070 8Gb, Monitor 3440x1440(21:9), Samsung 980pro 1Tb NVMe SSD, VKB Gunfighter+MCGU, Virpil Throttle CM3, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR.

• 2 weeks later...

You can access list_indication from within Hook like this:

local function executeLuaIn(env, lua)
    local ret, success = dostring_in(env, lua)
    if success then
        return ret or success, nil
    else
        return nil, ret
    end
end

local indication, error = executeLuaIn('export', 'return list_indication(0)')

• 2 weeks later...
You can access list_indication from within Hook like this:
local function executeLuaIn(env, lua)
    local ret, success = dostring_in(env, lua)
    if success then
        return ret or success, nil
    else
        return nil, ret
    end
end
local indication, error = executeLuaIn('export', 'return list_indication(0)')
Try it when you're in multiplayer but not the host and pretty sure it doesn't work then from my last test

It will work in single player or multiplayer if you're the host.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk