F16 DL with A50

Dirty Rotten Flieger

4ediqh.jpg

Yeah, I don't fly the JF-17 but I would really like to understand what's going on there:

I don't think the JF-17 is equipped with Link16/MIDS, so there shouldn't be any datalinking between them at all.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The JF-17 uses the Link17 Datalink System

But it works with the E3 in DCS, thats the joke.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I needed that chuckle. Thank you... and yeah, the jeff being on link 16 in DCS is an abomination.

Its not on L16. It talks to the awacs using L17, and the awacs can do both/translate between networks/protocols, which isn't really all that farfetched.

The other misconception is that the Jeff is a Chinese plane. Its really not, china builds it strictly for export, and the only real world operator is pakistan and they also operate F16's with Link16. So its not really too far fetched to assume that somehow the 2 systems can talk to each other at least on the AWACS level. The problem with that is none of the Pakistani AWACSs are in game, They operate the Saab2000, Y-8, and more recently the Chinese Karakoram Eagle AWACS. Deka added the interoperability on the E3 because IIRC it was the only AWACS that they could do it on for some reason.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Its not on L16. It talks to the awacs using L17, and the awacs can do both/translate between networks/protocols, which isn't really all that farfetched.

The other misconception is that the Jeff is a Chinese plane. Its really not, china builds it strictly for export, and the only real world operator is pakistan and they also operate F16's with Link16. So its not really too far fetched to assume that somehow the 2 systems can talk to each other at least on the AWACS level. The problem with that is none of the Pakistani AWACSs are in game, They operate the Saab2000, Y-8, and more recently the Chinese Karakoram Eagle AWACS. Deka added the interoperability on the E3 because IIRC it was the only AWACS that they could do it on for some reason.

I was about to post something similar, but I realized they might’ve meant that it’s an abomination that it has to use E-3/E-2, as those are the only ones that provide the link17 functionality becuase those are the only platforms in game that provide that functionality at all becuase of the current link16 implementation.

Wether it should work with E-3 or not, I guess there isn’t proof saying it should or should not, the ideal situation will be when it works with KJ-2000 in game

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Wether it should work with E-3 or not, I guess there isn’t proof saying it should or should not, the ideal situation will be when it works with KJ-2000 in game

Why should it work with the KJ200? Thats a Chinese awacs. The Link17 is made by Pakistan, that doesn't operate the KJ2000. China doesn't use link 17.

Why should it work with the KJ200? Thats a Chinese awacs. The Link17 is made by Pakistan, that doesn't operate the KJ2000. China doesn't use link 17.

Funny you make that typo, becuase the Chinese ZDK-03 the PAF use as an AWACS is a variant of the KJ-2000 predecessor, the KJ-200:D

But yes I get your point. I admit my assumption was based off if the KJ-2000 were to be operated with JF-17, it would take only one software update at most. But I also get why it is the way it is. It is a software defined radio, and German origin at that! As far as I can tell link 17 has only been referred to in reference to the specifically JF-17 side, why couldn’t it just be the PAFs name for the Chinese link16 equivalent? PAF also operates link 16 from their F-16s, I don’t know if that works with their Zdk-03 or not but perhaps that’s why they have Saab Erieye, which I guess we also don’t know for sure if JF-17 works with that. As far as I can tell, there’s practically nothing known about what gateways they are or are not capable of

And does DCS even care about country of AWACS? I always thought it only cared about coalition of AWACS. If I make it a Pakistani KJ-2000 does that count?

I guess what I’m getting at is it’s a grey area and we could crumble this cookie alot of different ways:)

For example the whole thing about gateways in DCS, are they there or not? How do we even decide what has a gateway and when? I guess for our purposes currently I guess I choose a looser method then you might, but that’s just me. If DL interaction with AWACS and EWR was revamped to give mission maker more control, of course that would be the best case scenario, so they can decide for the mission who has what link and gateway, right?

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I know they operate the predecessor awacs (my previous post), but they don't use the KJ2000, I don't think the predecessor is really relevant, and it uses a mech scan radar not a PESA like the KJ2000.

I mean at the end of the day no one knows much of anything about the link17 system. We can assume that its kinda-like link16. But I have literally seen no info on it. I kind of doubt it can do fighter to fighter with link16 A/C.

For a dollar I'll buy that you can have both working on an awacs and that its able to translate between the two. But at that point it shouldn't really matter which awacs it is.