Cold War 1947 - 1991 *** Limited Edition ***

Alpenwolf

Unfortunately I didn't make it, just came in a few minutes ago, f... .

Are there plans to continue this series?

I fear that the next Saturdays my working schedule might make it not possible for me. :cry:

It doesn't always have to be on Saturday. And yes, this mission will go online from time to time. It ain't going nowhere :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

That was a fun round. I flew the exclusively as a Tomcat RIO for the entire round. After our first dedicated A/A flight we changed our loadout to incorporate some Mk-83s, so whenever we came across a Merkava, we put a bomb on him (it's not easy to hit them when they're going full throttle). That was a lot of fun and quite challenging to switch back and forth between A/A and A/G :joystick:

Unlike the two previous round there wasn't much GCIing this time.

Was ton of fun tonight, hope that Blue will come back stronger next time.

Indeed! Looking forward to the next round.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The Phoenix was overpowering yesterday and should be retired, great flying by Tiphys in the F14B though!

As his RIO who launched most of those Phoenixes, I have to say, that I was pretty disappointed with the Phoenix. It's a very powerful weapon on servers like Blue Flag, where most people fly a lot higher than it was the case here. Here everyone operated down low and we had to do so as well, because of the Patriot. Down low the big drag index of the Phoenix lowered it's performance extensively, much more than other missiles. It reaches nowhere the speed and the range it can achieve at high altitudes. Additionally people disappeared behind small hills all the time.

All this combined made the Phoenix a pretty mediocore missile in this environment. That also means it wouldn't be a huge loss either, if it would be removed. although I would prefer to keep it, as it is the Tomcat's signature weapon and fun to use.

Edit: Also, I never had to punch that IFF button as frequently as I had to yesterday. So many furballs! You really have to be careful to launch at the correct contact, making it even more difficult to bring the Phoenix to proper use.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

The Phoenix can be removed, no problem.

I had a 2 hours debriefing with some of the Israeli community members yesterday. A very dedicated squadron that's been around the world of sims for quite a long time.

Two things:

- They were heavily outnumbered.

- They rarely fly any stacked PvP missions like this one. And this alone is the reason for the more or less lopsided outcome of the battle in my opinion.

The whole scenario must've had intrigued them and it did. Which is why they wanted to try it out. They looked up the tacview right away and started analysing the whole thing to improve. Some of them fly quite often on the Cold War server but yesterday's mission was quite a different thing.

I'm sure they'll learn from it and come back stronger and they want to.

Meanwhile, I'm talking to another squadron that might also be intersted in flying Blue. They have the numbers plus years of PvP experiences. We might go back to allowing AMRAAM's and all the other missiles again or keep it this way.

Stay tuned.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

I had a 2 hours debriefing with some of the Israeli community members yesterday. A very dedicated squadron that's been around the world of sims for quite a long time.

Two things:

- They were heavily outnumbered.

- They rarely fly any stacked PvP missions like this one. And this alone is the reason for the more or less lopsided outcome of the battle in my opinion.

The whole scenario must've had intrigued them and it did. Which is why they wanted to try it out. They looked up the tacview right away and started analysing the whole thing to improve. Some of them fly quite often on the Cold War server but yesterday's mission was quite a different thing.

I'm sure they'll learn from it and come back stronger and they want to.

Meanwhile, I'm talking to another squadron that might also be intersted in flying Blue. They have the numbers plus years of PvP experiences. We might go back to allowing AMRAAM's and all the other missiles again or keep it this way.

Stay tuned.

If Fox3's are allowed again then they should be limited to 120B's. Adding on Mig29S/SU27/33’s with R77’s and R27ER/ET’s to make things even.

Best would be if we kept it the way it is. The Gulf War was won with Aim7’s ;)

Edited by NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Phoenix was overpowering yesterday and should be retired, great flying by Tiphys in the F14B though!

Thanks to my RIO "Qui Gon".

But targeting Bogeys wasn' t easy because they were low near the ground and often in a fureball.

i5 - 8600K ~ 4ghz GeForce RTX 2080 32Gb DDR4 Windows 10 Oculus Rift S

Huh. With that planest ill check that out.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Tiberias:

*Screenshots*

Do you make those pics from the trackfile/replay or do you make them during the actual session? They're really stunning!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Do you make those pics from the trackfile/replay or do you make them during the actual session? They're really stunning!

Danke, they are all from Replay..

There are a few steps to be taken to be able to do this, I got a tutorial on our discord that explains this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Danke, they are all from Replay..

There are a few steps to be taken to be able to do this, I got a tutorial on our discord that explains this.

I don't have discord, but are you saying you have found a way to make the replays reliable?

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don't have discord, but are you saying you have found a way to make the replays reliable?

I save the track file with F2 and F4 view options. My plane usually crashes after takeoff, but everyone else I can take screens of.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I save the track file with F2 and F4 view options. My plane usually crashes after takeoff, but everyone else I can take screens of.

Oh, I see. That actually makes sense, as the DCS replay system captures the steering inputs for your aircraft and then executes them in real time when playing the replay. It doesn't do so for other player aircraft, as it doesn't have the inputs for them, because they don't get transmitted through the network.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ka-50's were for the first time (unlike round 1 and 2) very effective! So maybe more Merkava tanks next time? Israeli SA342M's?

Israeli SA342M's and also HOT variant would be great for the Israeli side! We have players in the community that can man them and obviously it would be very nice in general to have an armed helicopter for the Blue side.

The Ka-50s worked great with what I see was brilliant coordination with the ground commanders on CA!

The strategy of providing the Ka-50s a relatively safe environment just South of Tiberias by covering them not only with the migs controlling the sky above them but also very smart use of pushing the mobile IR SAMS units right behind the red tanks that rounded the Sea of Galilee from the South of Tiberias. The mobile IR SAMS severely harassed all our low flying jets trying to hunt down the 2x Ka-50 that were plinking away with Vikhr AT missiles at our Merkava tanks virtually unopposed.

Good fight reds, well deserved win! :thumbup:

See you all next time :)

Cheers!

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

I don't really agree with this. The Mig-29A with the R27/R73 combo proved far deadlier than the couple Tomcats floating around. They were upwards 8 or more kills with one at 15 (last I checked).

I flew with Sizzle, and we only ever took 2 Phoenix. IIRC we did two sorties, and we killed a single guy with the Phoenix only because he did absolutely nothing to defend it. Checking Tacview it looks like our only AIM-7 kill came from catching a guy taking off who hadn't armed his countermeasures yet.

I noticed Tiphys/QuiGon looked to be taking four Phoenix per sortie, so if anything I would put a script in to limit the number of Phoenix to two per sortie.

I don't really agree with this. The Mig-29A with the R27/R73 combo proved far deadlier than the couple Tomcats floating around. They were upwards 8 or more kills with one at 15 (last I checked).

I flew with Sizzle, and we only ever took 2 Phoenix. IIRC we did two sorties, and we killed a single guy with the Phoenix only because he did absolutely nothing to defend it. Checking Tacview it looks like our only AIM-7 kill came from catching a guy taking off who hadn't armed his countermeasures yet.

I noticed Tiphys/QuiGon looked to be taking four Phoenix per sortie, so if anything I would put a script in to limit the number of Phoenix to two per sortie.

That's why I said "can be removed" and not certainly will. The Squadron I'm talking to might not even mind all versions of the Phoenixes out there. Unless they decide to go for mid-range missiles only such as the AIM-7's for a tougher challenge.

We'll see...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

That's why I said "can be removed" and not certainly will. The Squadron I'm talking to might not even mind all versions of the Phoenixes out there. Unless they decide to go for mid-range missiles only such as the AIM-7's for a tougher challenge.

We'll see...

I should quantify what I don't agree with is the statement "The Phoenix was overpowering yesterday".

If it can be allowed (history and all) that's great. If not, because we need to create a better experience overall, well I'm down for that too, because it needs to be fun.

Round 4:

Saturday, the 10th of October, 1830 zulu.

Members of the 104th Phoenix squadron will fly Blue. Currently only 6 of them will be available. They'll try and get more members who can fly on that day. Best case scenario would be 14 pilots and 1 cmdr operator. Let's hope they get the numbers. If not, Blue slots will be open for them and others.

Same setup as round 3; No AMRAAM's, no ER's, no ET's, no T's and this time around no Phoenixes either.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Might actually be available for this one! Every other time I've been away from home, or worn out from a long haul the day before. Pretty eager to try this out, there are only a few servers where I can get my late Cold War fix and most of them are always empty.