[REPORTED]HUD AUTO designation is extremely jumpy

mrkline

HUD designation in the Hornet is not only very sensitive (compared to cursor slew rate on the radar, SA page, or any other sensor), but the designation point jumps across large distances.

In this video, I attempt to slew the cursor onto a target about 120 feet in diameter (a bunker surrounded by some containers and BTRs). Even with small movements on a very precise TDC (a DeltaSim TDC mod with no deadzone), the TD diamond skips over the target several times: https://streamable.com/aih1dt. With the stock TM Warthog TDC, HUD designation is nearly unusable.

Compare to actual Hornet HUD tapes:

In Jetstream the pilot has no issue making fine adjustments to the impact point while flying a similar dive profile:

In Mongo's Gulf War HUD tape, he smoothly scrolls the target diamond across the HUD (almost two miles!) without any jumping:

The same clip with a bit of sharpening to help see the diamond (watch the bottom of the screen in the first few seconds): https://streamable.com/uocex2

Edited by mrkline

• ED Team

Hi

I will ask the team for their thoughts.

I use a warthog, I dont seem to have any issue with slewing, I have reduce saturation on my curves however to about 21.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Feed back from the team, based on our SME feedback this is correct as is.

thank you

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

> I use a warthog, I dont seem to have any issue with slewing

Hey Bignewy, can you confirm that you're referring to slewing in the context of AUTO HUD designation? It's fine with the DDIs; it's the HUD TD box slewing that is painful.

edit: with saturation at 21, doesn't it take forever to slew the DDIs?

Edited by abelian

How can this be marked 'CORRECT AS IS' , if my bug report (which is also a result of the hud designation being super hard to control), was marked 'REPORTED'?

It was improved a couple of months ago and then went back to being very jumpy and hard to move accurately. There's an issue with slewing the designation point on the HUD itself. Curves won't solve that, and your equipment doesn't matter. It's something in the code.

I was using only my keyboard here, just to demonstrate there's something wrong with it:

Edited by BarTzi

BigNewy:

With all due respect, it should be obvious to anyone (especially your SMEs and QA guys) that it's not working as intended.

There is some obvious flaw to how the movement is coded.

Try this:

Using the default controls for Throttle Designator Controller (i.e buttons, not the axis), try holding down Left, and then (without releasing Left) simultaneously hold down Right. The aimpoint will start jumping like crazy. No one in their right mind can claim that being able to push it to the left and right at the same time is correct.

Similar symptoms happen when moving the TDC using the axis if you change direction fast. That's not correct.

My guess is that there is a mistake in some smoothing algorithm.

I don't think further proof is really needed, but since I haven't been in a Hornet myself I asked GB and Yello about their opinions (screenshots inlcuded).

I suggest you remove the [CORRECT AS IS] tag from this one. It's not working as intended.

I also want to stress that I'm not trying to smash/shame anyone here. I know that you're merely the messenger, and you're doing a great job bud'! <3

Cheers!

Yello.thumb.png.9f41ee40fe4b411bca3886bb6123e395.png

GB.thumb.PNG.5ac4fa217473a74b53cf9bef972b00fe.PNG

• ED Team

I asked the team, they checked, and I answered.

I am not a hornet pilot and would not pretend to know the real behaviour, I can only go by what the dev team and our SME's say.

thanks

• ED Team

I have checked and we do still have a report open for sensitivity. I will mark this reported for now and if we get a tweak I will let you all know.

thanks