Cold start INS problem

schurem

Hey guys,

I'm cold starting the hornet off a carrier. Turn all the things on, and set the INS to CV for a ship-assisted alignment. Should be about five minutes, yeah? Well it *never* comes out of INS DEGO. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something?

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

Hey guys,

I'm cold starting the hornet off a carrier. Turn all the things on, and set the INS to CV for a ship-assisted alignment. Should be about five minutes, yeah? Well it *never* comes out of INS DEGO. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something?

Have a look at the HSI, is the time going up and the alignment quality number coming down? If so then sit tight and wait until it reads 0.5 OK. Its not about time, its about quality.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

is it supposed to take half an hour then?! Is there an option to start with a pre-aligned INS like in the mirage? Because I love me some realism, but I aint got time for that.

Should take ~8mins for a regular ol alignment, you can press STD HDG at the bottom of the HSI (PB 19) to do a stored heading alignment which should only take about 90 seconds. Although this option is temperamental, so it doesn't always show and only if you haven't already flown.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/22/2020 at 5:06 AM, Swiftwin9s said:

Should take ~8mins for a regular ol alignment, you can press STD HDG at the bottom of the HSI (PB 19) to do a stored heading alignment which should only take about 90 seconds. Although this option is temperamental, so it doesn't always show and only if you haven't already flown.

without STD HDG pressed,  INS set at AV or GND, after wait for long time untill it shows OK, but still, heading is unchanged (incorrect heading ) , same as game start.

what caused this situation? 

Edited by bin801

8 minutes ago, bin801 said:

without STD HDG pressed,  INS set at AV or GND, after wait for long time untill it shows OK, but still, heading is unchanged (incorrect heading ) , same as game start.

what caused this situation? 

If the cautions are gone from the LDDI and it reads 0.5 OK in the HSI, then the INS is aligned. Ignore the heading and waypoints laid out on the HSI, whilst on the boat, because they are bugged in the T UP orientation.

6 hours ago, Swiftwin9s said:

If the cautions are gone from the LDDI and it reads 0.5 OK in the HSI, then the INS is aligned. Ignore the heading and waypoints laid out on the HSI, whilst on the boat, because they are bugged in the T UP orientation.

Thanks it works as you said.  BTW, what is ” T UP"?

Appreciate !

17 minutes ago, bin801 said:

Thanks it works as you said.  BTW, what is ” T UP"?

Appreciate !

T UP is track up, it orients the HSI to show the aircraft flying towards the top of the display.

N UP orients the display to show North at the top.

How do you do a stored heading alignment

If it is a new mission you need the full alignment?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

25 minutes ago, ruddy122 said:

How do you do a stored heading alignment

If it is a new mission you need the full alignment?

Start the alignment as normal, then in the HSI format you will see STD HDG on the bottom row (pb19). Press that and it will begin the stored heading alignment.

Yep I used stored heading every time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 3/15/2021 at 3:11 AM, Swiftwin9s said:

T UP is track up, it orients the HSI to show the aircraft flying towards the top of the display.

N UP orients the display to show North at the top.

Thank you for explaination

42 minutes ago, Relic said:

Stored heading is better than sliced bread

Oh yeah agree with that.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|