The Glorious F14A

Victory205

They sure were on the way back for decommissioning. The August 1, 1992 - January 31, 1993 deployment was Ranger's last. VF-1 was disestablished October 1, 1993. Initially, the plan was to have both VF-1 and VF-2 upgrade to the D-variant.

Thanks I didn't know that! It's great to learn more about it so long after the fact. I think it was the first week of January on the ship's way home so those dates make sense. I remember feeling so ecstatic as an 11 year old Tomcat-obsessed boy going from only seeing them in books and in the game Afterburner (was a week or so before I first saw Top Gun lol) to being up close and personal in the most isolated city on Earth where almost nothing ever happens... now I'm 39 and still obsessing but in DCS with VR....

i9-9900KF @ 3.6ghz ; 32gb RAM @ 3600mhz; Gigabyte RTX 2080 8gb ; TMWarthog ; TM rudder ; HTC Vive

https://imgur.com/gallery/TT2qlsn

i posted these before

this was 1995 on the enterprise at sea during a dependents day

my dad was a usaf lt col and the nato usaf liason at norfolk. he finagled flag passes so i got to see the sonic boom and take pics from the island

the old carrier was my grandfathers off korea. and the rlly old paper is my great grandpas ww1 discharge paper. you can see 2 wounds and he fought in every major american battle as a private. he died later from being gassed during the war at 25. but he got us in america.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TT2qlsn

i posted these before

this was 1995 on the enterprise at sea during a dependents day

my dad was a usaf lt col and the nato usaf liason at norfolk. he finagled flag passes so i got to see the sonic boom and take pics from the island

the old carrier was my grandfathers off korea. and the rlly old paper is my great grandpas ww1 discharge paper. you can see 2 wounds and he fought in every major american battle as a private. he died later from being gassed during the war at 25. but he got us in america.

The Leyte is the boat VF-32 was on in 1950. I did some historical "CONA" skins for VF-32 of ENS Jesse Brown and LtJG Hudner's Corsairs on the Tomcat.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

The Leyte is the boat VF-32 was on in 1950. I did some historical "CONA" skins for VF-32 of ENS Jesse Brown and LtJG Hudner's Corsairs on the Tomcat.

well my grandfather was deck crew on it. if you look at the link youll see a pic of her with her crew spelling LEYTE in the front, and youll see my grandpas DD214 equivalent with 2 clusters for the korean war service medal

and yes that incident with the first black aviator, my grandfather was on board. he told me the story once, I was fairly young and didnt get the significance.

It needs a rework, I never did post the one for LtJG Hudner but it's almost identical with the nose number from the famous painting. I did those, I also did a VF-31 Tomcatters of ENS Webber who had a MiG kill. I had an A-4E-C skin of one of the attack squadrons and briefly dabbled with a VA-35 one for the Hornet. Hell, even had the E-2D in dark blue for the EW squadron that was onboard flying the radar AD Skyraiders.

A HDD death killed everything and I started over, with like I said just ENS Brown's jet. With the A coming out I'm getting back into skinning so maybe there will be a v 1.1 with better details and some additional cleanup work, LtJG Hudner's markings, etc.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3307191/

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

I agree. Dressing up the F-14B with skins of squadrons that never operated the B-variant never seemed right to me. The A-variant had the best liveries, though.

Agreed! Except maybe for the Pukin' Dog's CAG.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

It needs a rework, I never did post the one for LtJG Hudner but it's almost identical with the nose number from the famous painting. I did those, I also did a VF-31 Tomcatters of ENS Webber who had a MiG kill. I had an A-4E-C skin of one of the attack squadrons and briefly dabbled with a VA-35 one for the Hornet. Hell, even had the E-2D in dark blue for the EW squadron that was onboard flying the radar AD Skyraiders.

A HDD death killed everything and I started over, with like I said just ENS Brown's jet. With the A coming out I'm getting back into skinning so maybe there will be a v 1.1 with better details and some additional cleanup work, LtJG Hudner's markings, etc.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3307191/

was just curious. I dont have an emotional attachment to the squad.

now theres some usaf squadrons i know my father was in that I feel more attachment too, but even then not really -shrug-

aren't there any reviews yet?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

The A is flying pretty sweet right now. Your landing grades should go up, your workload should go down. The LSO's will be happier, but don't take any grief from them.

It's a solid, responsive, precise instrument platform too, easy to fly overall. Can't imagine why anyone would want FBW nonsense after sampling the feeling of control input and positive response.

Lot's of tedious programming work went into getting the dynamics very close. I for one, appreciate the tenacity of the guys trying to get this right.

• Like 2

Viewpoints are my own.

The reality is that no one actually did that in the fleet, and for obvious reasons, about 90% of the RIOs didn't do it with snort either... ;)

The handling tweaks apply to all versions. The aircraft was easy to fly overall. Kind of humorous to watch folks act like it required superhuman effort to get off the ground.

I'll say it again, faithful modeling means that you're going to be surprised by the lack of expected engine problems. Keep the throttles at mil or Zone 5 while maneuvering. Don't move them below 100 KIAS or at high alpha. It isn't rocket science.

• Like 4

Viewpoints are my own.

The A is flying pretty sweet right now. Your landing grades should go up, your workload should go down. The LSO's will be happier, but don't take any grief from them.

It's a solid, responsive, precise instrument platform too, easy to fly overall. Can't imagine why anyone would want FBW nonsense after sampling the feeling of control input and positive response.

Lot's of tedious programming work went into getting the dynamics very close. I for one, appreciate the tenacity of the guys trying to get this right.

I feel like to get the full enjoyment from the Tomcat I need a proper floor mounted Virpil or VKB stick with the curved extensions, and some rudder pedals. I don't feel like regular joysticks even with curves can let you be as precise as the Tomcat seems to want to be a smooth stick. What setup are you using and how does it compare to the original?

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

I feel like to get the full enjoyment from the Tomcat I need a proper floor mounted Virpil or VKB stick with the curved extensions, and some rudder pedals. I don't feel like regular joysticks even with curves can let you be as precise as the Tomcat seems to want to be a smooth stick. What setup are you using and how does it compare to the original?

I've used a Warthog with a generously gifted extension and also a Virpil WarBRD. The former had too much friction which was biasing stability testing, so I prefer the latter. Neither are faithful the aircraft for a number of reasons. However, whatever you choose, it is important that you are able to rest your arm on your thigh, or a kneeboard, or some sort of rig that allows you a reference for stick movement. You don't want your arm suspended in mid air.

Viewpoints are my own.

The reality is that no one actually did that in the fleet, and for obvious reasons, about 90% of the RIOs didn't do it with snort either... ;)

The handling tweaks apply to all versions. The aircraft was easy to fly overall. Kind of humorous to watch folks act like it required superhuman effort to get off the ground.

I'll say it again, faithful modeling means that you're going to be surprised by the lack of expected engine problems. Keep the throttles at mil or Zone 5 while maneuvering. Don't move them below 100 KIAS or at high alpha. It isn't rocket science.

I keep wandering that myself. And i look all over the ED forums on multiple platforms and i see people struggling to refuel in mid-air, do a CASE I in calm weather or just plain drive level trimmed for air-speed. And if i fly with a lowly CH Fighterstick, no curves and a rocker pedal for a rudder.......how come other people struggle with superior hardware? I dunno man...... But they do. It must be a bio-mechanical thing. And not just for people with disabilities. Some people just seam to struggle with certain tasks, especially if they combine motor-perceptive coordination. And that's without even going into the SIM specific issues, like lack of depth perception, sense of motion, stick and plane forces....... just look at how many people are solely dependent on visual cues to fly, let alone fight:(

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Even a center deskmount is fine. I have the full Virpil gear with the 14 stick + deskmount and the TM TFRP pedals (for now until I get the Virpil ones) and it's a blast. I used to fly it with a T16K and it was mostly fine too, just gotta play with some curves and get used to it. With the Virpil WrBRD base and throttle I dont use any curves anymore as the cam system provides the feel and curves instead.

I had a terrible time flying the Tomcat with my old X52, and later with my unmodified Warthog. Now I have a 20cm Sahaj extension with the stick bolted to a ~20cm stool in front of my chair. 0 curves. The precision is phenomenal for me, between the Tomcat, warbirds, and even helos.

I'm using VKB MCG Pro extension in a center mount with Virpil throttle on left and custom button box on the right with VKB T-rudders right now but dreaming of upgrading to Slaws if/when they ever become available again... yeah very very nice!

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2