Radar air to ground exp modes TDC Slewing with Realistic TDC Slewing off.

Seriously? There must be something wrong with your understanding. If you use warthog, you CANT depress the the tdc nipple and slew it. It is a hardware limitation ! That's why ED added the unrealistic behavior possibility which work for everything EXCEPT the EXP modes. If you can't understand plain text, I'm afraid I can't do anything for you.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

No where was a hardware limitation mentioned here. Can you not just bind depress to something else? You can bind multiple controls to the same function. Just add an additional depress option for TDC depress for the times you want to use the A/G radar for now. It's not that it's unusable, it's just that the TDC behavior requirement doesn't match the setting. You can still use the A/G radar if you try.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No where was a hardware limitation mentioned here. Can you not just bind depress to something else? You can bind multiple controls to the same function. Just add an additional depress option for TDC depress for the times you want to use the A/G radar for now. It's not that it's unusable, it's just that the TDC behavior requirement doesn't match the setting. You can still use the A/G radar if you try.

Read the thread and you will see people including me explaining that there is a hardware limitation known by ED. In fact Wags did a video about it and showed the new realistic tdc slew control Option that can be disabled so people who won Warthog throttles can slew the radar, the mavs, and all other cursors. This feature works for everything except for the EXP modes. ED should fix that. I don't know what's your problem with this request !

• Like 1

If you use the warthog, you CAN'T depress the the tdc nipple and slew <<<<< This LITERALLY describes a HARDWARE LIMITATION with the warthog (you also cant do the slewing when the left thumbstick is mapped to slew as mine is on my warthog) Its a simple software fix and NEEDS to be implemented.

Edited by Badass1982

Read the thread and you will see people including me explaining that there is a hardware limitation known by ED. In fact Wags did a video about it and showed the new realistic tdc slew control Option that can be disabled so people who won Warthog throttles can slew the radar, the mavs, and all other cursors. This feature works for everything except for the EXP modes. ED should fix that. I don't know what's your problem with this request !

I literally said that they should fix it.
What I'm saying is that it is still possible for you to use the EXP modes of you want to.

• 4 weeks later...
 If you use the warthog, you CAN'T depress the the tdc nipple and slew
I don't have the Whathog throttle but I do have the same hardware limitation. I just bind TDC depress to another button. You are going to need to do the same. If you understood how the A/G radar format functions you would know that it is different from all other formats and your request, while sounding logical, is impossible.

For the attack format in A/G TDC depress acts as a modifier.

With the format as TDC priority you can move the yellow TDC cursor just fine. Now, when TDC depress is held the TDC cursor become a target acquisition cursor. Problem is that you need both. If you got what you're asking for you would either only be able to change format options, or only be able to designate a target. It just won't work, sorry.

Hahahahaha its you who are not understanding fella. You dont even have the hardware that's having this issue. Stop talking bollocks like you have a clue what you are going on about!
You don't understand that what you want is impossible.

Hahahahaha its you who are not understanding fella. You dont even have the hardware that's having this issue. Stop talking bollocks like you have a clue what you are going on about!
No I don't have the hardware, but I have the same limitation. Not being able to depress the TDC and slew it at the same time. There's a reason I don't use the "proper" TDC depress location on the slew stick.

No I don't have the hardware, but I have the same limitation. Not being able to depress the TDC and slew it at the same time. There's a reason I don't use the "proper" TDC depress location on the slew stick.

It is NOT impossible. All the other implementation are working exactly like that. Example slewing the Mac, AA radar, TGP... It is mind boggling how you can't understand basic language! You don't have to reply to post if you don't understand. It's as easy as that, it avoids you embarrassment

It is NOT impossible. All the other implementation are working exactly like that. Example slewing the Mac, AA radar, TGP... It is mind boggling how you can't understand basic language! You don't have to reply to post if you don't understand. It's as easy as that, it avoids you embarrassment

It is impossible. This A/G radar format does not act like any of the others. Did you read my previous post? Here, I'll simplify it for you. The A/G radar has two cursors. All the other formats have one. With realistic TDC slew you are required to depress the TDC and then slew, to change the position of that same cursor. Now, with realistic TDC slew disabled you can still move the yellow TDC cursor on the attack format.(do I have that right?)
But to access the radar acquisition cursor you must hold TDC depress so the system knows that you want to change the position of cursor two. It's impossible for the system/sim to know which you want to slew so it requires you to tell it.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:51 PM, Hulkbust44 said:

It is impossible. This A/G radar format does not act like any of the others. Did you read my previous post? Here, I'll simplify it for you. The A/G radar has two cursors. All the other formats have one. With realistic TDC slew you are required to depress the TDC and then slew, to change the position of that same cursor. Now, with realistic TDC slew disabled you can still move the yellow TDC cursor on the attack format.(do I have that right?)
But to access the radar acquisition cursor you must hold TDC depress so the system knows that you want to change the position of cursor two. It's impossible for the system/sim to know which you want to slew so it requires you to tell it.

I hope you are serious and you are not trolling. I will try to answer one more time. 

The AG radar cursor in MAP/GMT/SEA AG modes works FINE with Warthog if the realstic box is unchecked. So I do not know what you are talking about. What does not work is the the trapezoidal area in EXP mode. That's all! There is absolutely no reason that the cursor moves in MAP/GMT/SEA AG modes but NOT in EXPx modes. 

I hope you are serious and you are not trolling. I will try to answer one more time. 

The AG radar cursor in MAP/GMT/SEA AG modes works FINE with Warthog if the realstic box is unchecked. So I do not know what you are talking about. What does not work is the the trapezoidal area in EXP mode. That's all! There is absolutely no reason that the cursor moves in MAP/GMT/SEA AG modes but NOT in EXPx modes. 
Well yes there is. As of 2.7.1 "TDC cursor added for EXP mode." So you still have the issue of the two cursors that would be competing.

Disregard. I just test for my self.
I now understand what you are saying, however I think it's reasonable that there is a TDC cursor missing in the selected EXP mode for search. I highly highly doubt that there's no TDC cursor there as you can't to anything with the format now until you designate or undesignate something. You would expect the same logic to carry through.
It could be that the logic really is correct as ED has tagged, but is still missing a TDC cursor for that sublevel.

I will start my own thread specifically with this inquiry and see what response I get.

Mobius708

2 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Well yes there is. As of 2.7.1 "TDC cursor added for EXP mode." So you still have the issue of the two cursors that would be competing.

Disregard. I just test for my self.
I now understand what you are saying, however I think it's reasonable that there is a TDC cursor missing in the selected EXP mode for search. I highly highly doubt that there's no TDC cursor there as you can't to anything with the format now until you designate or undesignate something. You would expect the same logic to carry through.
It could be that the logic really is correct as ED has tagged, but is still missing a TDC cursor for that sub-mode.

I will start my own thread specifically with this inquiry and see what response I get.

Mobius708

I am glad you got our point now. Thanks! 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just bought a Warthog and have experienced the above - yes, Realistic TDC (Unchecked) still does not work for EXP work (you need to hold TDC Depress down). So I mapped the finicky slew control/mouse button as a SHIFT button and have two TDC Depress options mapped. One on the stick Pinky for regular A/A RDR work and another on the throttle coolie POV2-> for TGP and A/G EXP work. Makes life easier. That said, it should be a simple fix ED could have done ages ago.    

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Use the script editor to program the following:

MapKey(&Throttle, SC, TEMPO( DX21, DOWN+ DX21, 400));

This way dx21 ( can be any dx button) is pressed and held if you press and hold the nipple for more than 400ms. You can now slew like normal even with realistic checked and the press and release to designate.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow guys. I hadn't checked this thread in a long time. It grew quite a bit in both size and vitriol. I've been looking through my post history to see where many of my old threads went.

For me this problem was solved when I got a new HOTAS that had a working depress function. Great for me but not for many others. 

To speak to @Hulkbust44's concern that it might be a problem for the AG Radar if it has two slew-able cursors I purpose this as one way ED could make it function:

-special Setting "Realistic TDC Slew" disabled. When in an air to ground EXP Mode. one press and release of TDC depress would perform a normal TDC depress function. 

-2 rapid presses of "TDC depress" would lock the TDC into a slewing mode (simulating that the TDC is currently being held down)
-2 more rapid presses causes the TDC to act as though TDC Depress has just been released.

An alternative would be pressing and Holding TDC Depress for a set time (say .8 seconds or more) would switch it to a simulated TDC Depress Held down State) 
I wouldn't recommend this over the first option as someone who uses the special setting for all the other systems but does have a working TDC Depress within the TDC. It would make it act strange and manifest as a bug if I tried to use the EXP mode as intended by pressing and holding TDC Depress and slewing the cursor. 

I don't know if I didn't mention it initially or it just got lost in all the messages but my original setup for the TDC was as follows:
-A button type hat switch  for slewing TDC (no capability for Depress functionality)
-A Modifier on my throttle.
-Holding Modifier and pressing the hat switch forward was TDC Depress.
With this setup I was able to easily do all TDC functions other than the AG Radar Expand Modes. One thing that made that possible was the "Disable Realistic TDC Slew option". It was not possible with that control setup for me to Hold TDC Depress and Slew the TDC at the same time. 

I did eventually map another TDC Depress to some random out of the way button for that sole purpose. It worked but it wasn't a desirable solution. Asking for a method to slew the EXP cursor without needing to Hold TDC Depress as an improvement to the current functionality of the "Disable Realistic TDC Slew" special option was meant as a quality of life improvement and reasonable evolution of the option's intended purpose. Not a "This is completely broken and unplayable" sort of bug. 

This thread nearly derailed completely with a back and forth about whether such a solution was needed or even possible. It's intended purpose and potentially the possibility of it's success may have been lost because of it. If I were ED I wouldn't want to make any change to it now knowing it would likely make some people happy and others upset. We seem to have that habit in this community. We would do well to remember that we as a community have a very diverse set of hardware that we attempt to play DCS on. We should not fault others for wanting provisions for their less than ideal setups. I'd rather have a happy wingman next to me in the air than fly solo because that guy doesn't have a full f18 cockpit in his house. We would also do well to remember that we are all here because we like the f18, and many other DCS Modules. Something as trivial as Realistic TDC Slew only on the EXP modes of the AG Radar should not be enough for us to declare it "Broken" or "Unplayable". It shouldn't send us into a frenzy. 

I'd bet that if we were all a little more calm and cool about this sort of thing, we'd have happier Dev's that were more inclined to put in extra hours of programming to adapt the game to our weird and diverse collection of Controllers. Am I right @BIGNEWY?

I don't know about the rest of you but I tend to prefer more options and customizability to less. But I also am incredibly grateful for what they have already provided for me!

• ED Team
29 minutes ago, tech_op2000 said:

I'd bet that if we were all a little more calm and cool about this sort of thing, we'd have happier Dev's that were more inclined to put in extra hours of programming to adapt the game to our weird and diverse collection of Controllers. Am I right @BIGNEWY?

Being calm is essential, here on the forum and in life, it promotes a long healthy life 🙂

Sometimes I miss threads, as I have done this one, I get hundreds of pings each week here on the forum, discord and social media but feel free to message me, or if you need to report a forum post use the report function and a moderator will take a look. 

Im using a warthog throttle and had not noticed any issue, I will mention everyones comments to the team. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@BIGNEWY

Thinking of possible ways this could function I actually think the second of the two options I suggested but tweaked would be a pretty good implementation. It could work as follows:

For players who have "Realistic TDC Slew" Enabled, no change in functionality.

For players who have "realistic TDC Slew" Disabled, pressing and holding TDC Depress when using an EXP mode would cause normal current functionality.
Pressing and releasing TDC Depress quickly (holding for less than maybe .5 seconds) would make the EXP mode simulate a depressed TDC, the user could then slew the EXP cursor as though TDC were being held down. Another quick press of TDC depress would release the simulated mode and a new target would be selected. 

It would of course need to be written in such a way that deselecting the EXP mode or switching Sensor of Interest etc. would not cause a problem. The simulated held down TDC would have to only function in the EXP mode.