F-22A Raptor mod enhancement mod

Here's the latest livery;  27th FS flagship for the "Fightin' Eagles" out of Langley-Eustis, VA.  I couldn't find the exact font for the tail flash but this is pretty close, and because they're text layers I had to position them around the tail/rudder split.  I think it looks nice though.

Remaining squadrons:

27th FF Fightin' Eagles - In progress

94th FF Spads

149th FF Virginia ANG

199th HH Mytai Fighters Hawaii ANG

411th ED FTS

422nd OT TES

433rd WA WPS

Here are the four completed squadrons.  A total of 100 unique liveries including the various flagships.

90th Dicemen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/56lxvpvrtlsyogy/AK 90th.7z?dl=0

525th Bulldogs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7cu3rhtvf1o03t/AK 525th.7z?dl=0

43rd Hornets

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g82eq39alxrfipc/TY 43rd.7z?dl=0

95th Boneheads

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uya06r4758zcmb5/TY 95th.7z?dl=0

01.jpg

Updated the versions with some more minor changes:

I added a VVI display window in the lower left corner of the SMFD ADI pages.  It has a black background like the other readouts on those displays.

I went back and made three versions of the ICP page for the display strip above the keypad.  For me having some critical flight data right in front of my nose in VR is useful.

The versions are: 

OFF (its blank like stock)

DAY (It has the VVI and then RALT display aligned left/right with an identifier in the middle like so:  [-0000 :V R: 00002] )

NIGHT (Same as day but using the dimmer font for night mode)

As before these versions are in subfolders under Mods\aircraft\F-22A\Cockpit\Scripts\ICP and they will have to be manually copied to the Mods\aircraft\F-22A\Cockpit\Scripts folder for the version you want to use.  The night version affects all of the displays on the ICP though making all of them dimmer.  If you leave the day version in place, they will just be normal brightness all of the time.

I've also added some additional scratches to the canopy glass when looking towards the sun from inside the cockpit.  Again, not enough to be a hindrance but more noticeable than before.

Same links were updated:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47d2gu21874torf/F-22A Multi Player.7z?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0iahwuoozbqk5t/F-22A Single Player.7z?dl=0

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, FoxHoundELite said:

@Nightstorm

Looks like the AIM-120D cant be used in TWS mode? the C still works fine with multiple launch though.....but the D didnt track the target once it launch 😞

There are several threads where people have been talking about problems with Radar guided missiles for some time.  The AIM-120D code is based on the 120C's code and there's nothing in there that I know of that would prevent it from working.  I'll do some testing though to see what I can see.  However, as folks have been talking in those other threads it seems that AMRAAMS are easily spoofed by chaff and ECM.  I've seen the same behavior way too many times flying the Viper with 120C's.  The missiles either won't track or they simply go stupid and head off in a direction other than the target.

Its gotten so bad that I basically have to wait until <10 miles pitbull range to be reasonably sure of a hit.  That has nothing to do with the F22 mod as that was the case even before the new version was released in Feb.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Oh and another thing that I really don't get.  You can test this yourself.  I can pick up a friendly target on the 15/22's Radar at 60+ miles.  Shows up as a dot instead of a rectangle right?  I can launch a 120D at that target and kill it from 60 miles away.  But I can't even pick up enemy contacts outside of 50 miles most of the time.

/shrug.  

Edited by Nightstorm

45 minutes ago, Nightstorm said:

There are several threads where people have been talking about problems with Radar guided missiles for some time.  The AIM-120D code is based on the 120C's code and there's nothing in there that I know of that would prevent it from working.  I'll do some testing though to see what I can see.  However, as folks have been talking in those other threads it seems that AMRAAMS are easily spoofed by chaff and ECM.  I've seen the same behavior way too many times flying the Viper with 120C's.  The missiles either won't track or they simply go stupid and head off in a direction other than the target.

Its gotten so bad that I basically have to wait until <10 miles pitbull range to be reasonably sure of a hit.  That has nothing to do with the F22 mod as that was the case even before the new version was released in Feb.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Oh and another thing that I really don't get.  You can test this yourself.  I can pick up a friendly target on the 15/22's Radar at 60+ miles.  Shows up as a dot instead of a rectangle right?  I can launch a 120D at that target and kill it from 60 miles away.  But I can't even pick up enemy contacts outside of 50 miles most of the time.

/shrug.  

well the Amraam D still works fine in STT mode though, but when i bugged 2+ target in TWS and launch it, it just fly straight and didnt go pitbull as expected, meanwhile the Amraam C still did good in TWS mode. Beside, i tried to set the enemy with zero chaff but it still didnt work 😞

Also, i noticed the Amraam D in TWS didnt have that "gradually enlarge" circle like the Amraam C. When i switched to TWS and bug the bogey with Amraam D equipped, the circle is already at full

Edited by FoxHoundELite

Feel the Rush of Superior Air Power

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@FoxHoundELite

The circle part could be do the much longer range of the D.  It's range is something on the order of 100+ NM under optimum conditions.  So a target at say 30NM would already be well inside it's maneuvering range.

There's nothing specific in the missile code that changes behavior between STT and TWS modes though.  If it tracks in STT but doesn't in TWS I dunno.  Here's what we can test though;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4rea8vitxuqp4m/F-22A Weapons Patch.7z?dl=0

This will put the stock weapons.lua back in place.  It's encrypted but has only been hex edited to rename 9XX to 9X3.  And it has the GUI icons for the weapons loadout screen that are called by that LUA file.  So this will be the AIM-120D using the straight AIM-120C code.  I'll test this myself.  Just copy these three files in place over the single player version.

*EDIT*  Testing with this change, for whatever reason they work correctly.  I'll have to figure out what about the missile code is causing that to happen.  So...with this patch the AIM-120D's are basically no drag AIM-120C's. (No drag as in they're internal so they don't add drag to the Raptor.)

*Updated Single player version to include the patch.*

Edited by Nightstorm

20 hours ago, Nightstorm said:

@FoxHoundELite

The circle part could be do the much longer range of the D.  It's range is something on the order of 100+ NM under optimum conditions.  So a target at say 30NM would already be well inside it's maneuvering range.

There's nothing specific in the missile code that changes behavior between STT and TWS modes though.  If it tracks in STT but doesn't in TWS I dunno.  Here's what we can test though;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4rea8vitxuqp4m/F-22A Weapons Patch.7z?dl=0

This will put the stock weapons.lua back in place.  It's encrypted but has only been hex edited to rename 9XX to 9X3.  And it has the GUI icons for the weapons loadout screen that are called by that LUA file.  So this will be the AIM-120D using the straight AIM-120C code.  I'll test this myself.  Just copy these three files in place over the single player version.

*EDIT*  Testing with this change, for whatever reason they work correctly.  I'll have to figure out what about the missile code is causing that to happen.  So...with this patch the AIM-120D's are basically no drag AIM-120C's. (No drag as in they're internal so they don't add drag to the Raptor.)

*Updated Single player version to include the patch.*

thanks, it works now. Anw what's the max and idea range for the Amraam?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well the exact ranges for both 120C and 120D are classified.  As such, I doubt that the stock 120C in DCS is exact either.  However, given that you generally can't get a lock or track on a contact beyond 50 miles in any case I doubt it matters much.  I would expect that since 120D had a longer range than the 120C in real life it probably goes faster.  So, even in a "shorter" ranged scenario like say 25 miles it should get to the target faster than a 120C would.  I have no concrete information to back that up, it's just conjecture.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nightstorm said:

Well the exact ranges for both 120C and 120D are classified.  As such, I doubt that the stock 120C in DCS is exact either.  However, given that you generally can't get a lock or track on a contact beyond 50 miles in any case I doubt it matters much.  I would expect that since 120D had a longer range than the 120C in real life it probably goes faster.  So, even in a "shorter" ranged scenario like say 25 miles it should get to the target faster than a 120C would.  I have no concrete information to back that up, it's just conjecture.

no wonder why the Amraaam C/D fall short in minus 20nm in-game 😄 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 4/11/2021 at 10:02 AM, Nightstorm said:

/shrug.  

I use a modified version of the F-22.lua file in the main folder from the original V1 of Grinnelli's mod.  Has correct weights, thrust, wing area etc. and can properly supercruise.  It also has a line labeled "detection_range max." Its set by default to 250km, which I believe corresponds to a large target.  You can change this and it makes a huge difference.  The original APG-77 is purported to be able to detect 0 dBsm targets (1sq meter) at 125-150nm.  The 77v1 on the Block 30/35 jets further yet so I crank it up to 900.  I've detected Flankers hot at me at top of scale; 160nm.  When you're supercruising at 50Kft and M1.5 you need that extra time to run your intercept. 

BTW- the AMRAAMs are beyond frustrating now.  They're so easily trashed.  I really hope they address this.  I've literally had them within 1000' on a perfect intercept suddenly pull 30g in the opposite direction and zoom off the opposite direction of the target.  Literally snatching the kill from the jaws. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thunder Chicken22 said:

I use a modified version of the F-22.lua file in the main folder from the original V1 of Grinnelli's mod.  Has correct weights, thrust, wing area etc. and can properly supercruise.  It also has a line labeled "detection_range max." Its set by default to 250km, which I believe corresponds to a large target.  You can change this and it makes a huge difference.  The original APG-77 is purported to be able to detect 0 dBsm targets (1sq meter) at 125-150nm.  The 77v1 on the Block 30/35 jets further yet so I crank it up to 900.  I've detected Flankers hot at me at top of scale; 160nm.  When you're supercruising at 50Kft and M1.5 you need that extra time to run your intercept. 

BTW- the AMRAAMs are beyond frustrating now.  They're so easily trashed.  I really hope they address this.  I've literally had them within 1000' on a perfect intercept suddenly pull 30g in the opposite direction and zoom off the opposite direction of the target.  Literally snatching the kill from the jaws. 

Hey @Thunder Chicken22 Can you share this .lua please? for the fun?

1 hour ago, Thunder Chicken22 said:

@Thunder Chicken22

Yea I know what you mean on the 120s.  I haven't tried to replace the F22.lua.  I too am interested in trying that out.  And if you don't have an objection possibly including it in the single player version.

2 hours ago, jymp said:

Nice job, but what's up with the wheels ?, been around many a Raptor at Langley and the wheels look far different than this mod

I can't speak to that.  The original model was done some time ago by Grinnelli as far as I know.  None of the changes I've made affect the model in any way.

So after some edits to the F-22A.lua file from the previous version of the F22 mod some interesting results were achieved.  Most of the information comes from wiki pages and manufactures pages but its all we have available.  The weights and thrust values have been modified to be more in line with what's been publicly released.  The flight model data has been modified as well.   These edits appear to achieve the expected performance of the Raptor.

From the Wiki:

Performance

• Maximum speed: Mach 2.25 (1,500 mph, 2,414 km/h) at altitude
    • Mach 1.21, 800 knots (921 mph; 1,482 km/h) at sea level
    • Mach 1.82 (1,220 mph, 1,963 km/h) supercruise at altitude

After some testing and tweaking I was able to achieve this:

Mach 2.26 at ~50k feet full afterburner.

Mach 1.1 at ~2k feet barometric on full military

Mach 1.84 at ~50k feet with ~30% fuel on full military.

Super cruise anyone?

I'd like to consult some folks before including these changes into the SINGLE PLAYER version of the mod.  I *think* the flight model data changes were done by someone that went by the name "Dances".  Though I don't see an active user account by that name.

The reason that Grinnelli encrypted the F22.lua in the first place was to prevent cheating in multi-player.  However, the previous version wasn't encrypted and folks have been using that version for quite a while.  So, the ship on that probably sailed a long time ago.  And for that matter, any server that allows mods could have such activity going on. 

I'm open to opinions/suggestions on this.

01.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm

7 hours ago, Nightstorm said:

Таким образом, после некоторых правок в файле F-22A.lua из предыдущей версии мода F22 были достигнуты некоторые интересные результаты. Большая часть информации поступает со страниц вики и страниц производителей, но это все, что у нас есть. Значения веса и тяги были изменены, чтобы они больше соответствовали тому, что было опубликовано. Данные летной модели также были изменены. Эти изменения, кажется, достигают ожидаемых характеристик Raptor.

Из вики:

Представление

• Максимальная скорость:  2,25 Маха (1500 миль / ч, 2414 км / ч) на высоте
    • 1,21 Маха, 800 узлов (921 миль / ч; 1482 км / ч) на уровне моря
    • 1,82 Маха (1220 миль / ч, 1963 км / ч) суперкруиз на высоте   

После некоторого тестирования и настройки мне удалось добиться этого:

2,26 Маха на ~ 50 км на полном форсажном режиме.

1,1 Маха при барометрическом давлении ~ 2 тыс. Футов на полном вооружении

1,84 Маха на высоте ~ 50 км с запасом топлива ~ 30% на полной боевой мощности.

Кто-нибудь супер круиз?

Я хотел бы посоветоваться с некоторыми людьми, прежде чем включать эти изменения в версию мода для ОДИНОЧНОГО ИГРОКА. Я * думаю * изменения данных модели полета были сделаны кем-то, кого звали "Танцы". Хотя я не вижу активной учетной записи пользователя с таким именем.

Причина, по которой Гриннелли зашифровал F22.lua в первую очередь, заключалась в том, чтобы предотвратить читерство в многопользовательской игре. Однако предыдущая версия не была зашифрована, и люди использовали эту версию довольно долгое время. Значит, корабль на нем, наверное, уже давно плыл. И в этом отношении любой сервер, на котором разрешены моды, может иметь такую активность. 

Я открыт для мнений / предложений по этому поводу.

01.jpg

Great offer. There are many interested in changing the Raptor for a single-player game. Show must go on!

@Nightstorm

I appreciate your time and effort on putting together all the data.

Will you feel comfortable to share the current F22.lua as you have it now?

I've been making changes to a very old F-15 campaign by feefifofum, by removing the F-15 and using the F-22.

An Eye for an Eye v0.9- Single player/2 player for F-15C - Page 9 - Missions and Campaigns - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

I recorded a mission last night where I had a dogfight against a MiG-21, which was totally crazy.

Maintain thy airspeed lest the ground rise up and smite thee!

YiizHx5.gif

8 hours ago, BRAVO_16 said:

@Nightstorm

I appreciate your time and effort on putting together all the data.

Will you feel comfortable to share the current F22.lua as you have it now?

I've been making changes to a very old F-15 campaign by feefifofum, by removing the F-15 and using the F-22.

An Eye for an Eye v0.9- Single player/2 player for F-15C - Page 9 - Missions and Campaigns - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

I recorded a mission last night where I had a dogfight against a MiG-21, which was totally crazy.

Yes I think so.  I'm still adjusting a few things.  I'll only include the modified LUA in the single player version of course.  As I mentioned before, anyone with a little knowhow could use the F22 lua from the first release in the second exactly like this.  So its not like I'm releasing anything that's sensitive or hasn't been already released.

Full disclosure though;  There is a new added feature in the new version of the F22A.lua that isn't in the old one.  I didn't even know it existed.  That feature adds a three ... tab in the mission editor when you're editing an F22 and if you click that tab you'll find a check box that allows you to select an option to have the weapons bay doors closed on cold start.  So in the version I have here, that feature is simply not present.  I checked the log files for any errors related to using the old version of the lua and found none.

The weapons bay still closes slowly as per usual on a cold start and everything works as expected.  Like I said, I didn't even know that feature was added and losing that and having to manually close the doors is a small price for the access to adjust the parameters for better accuracy in my opinion.

And speaking of accuracy....that brings me to another "feature" I'm playing with:

The maximum fuel that the F15C can hold, which the F22 is based on, is 13455lbs or 6103kg.  I suspect, that's why that was the amount defined both in the old and the new versions of the mod.

With lua access the amount can be changed to the correct 18100lbs / 8200kg for the Raptor....BUT......the extra fuel shows up as EXTERNAL not internal and it's reflected that way on the fuel page.  The tanks show partially full.  It will burn it first and then start using the "normal" internal.

And....if you have actual external tanks fitted to the wing stations it messes up the fuel page graphic for the tanks.

So......

Based on the work I did with the CFT mod for the Viper I created a "Fuel Cell" tank for the Raptor.  It's a 0 drag, 0 weight (except for the fuel) 680 gallon tank that doesn't have a model.

It can be fitted to pylon 6 on the Raptor which happens to have been the center fuel pylon on the Eagle.  So...the end result is you CAN have the correct amount of fuel in the Raptor with the same limitations I mentioned above or not.  It's optional as it would have to be equipped via the loadout page.

So if its not equipped, everything behaves just as it has.  The max internal is 13455 lbs and additional fuel tanks will use the fuel page correctly etc.  And if is equipped it will act as if you have 680 gal of external fuel.  You can still equip the wing tanks and get all of the fuel.  It will work fine.  Just the fuel page will look messed up until the external fuel is gone.

I think that's a good option.  When you add the fuel cell it gives the correct amount of fuel and the correct weight with no external visible sign and no additional drag.  It does share the pylon where the smoke can be added so you obviously can't have smoke and the fuel cell at the same time.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 2

Yes it is.  And I've been testing out the new/old (depending on your point of view) lua file and it's looking pretty good.  I'm also testing out some missile mods.  Since the default 120C is now specifically the 120C-5 I'm working on a 120C-7 for the Raptor as well as the 120D.

Everything appears to be working as it should though.

• Like 2