F-22A Raptor mod enhancement mod

Thanks for the reply. After install of the default GrinnelliDesigns F-22 do I need to do for your mod (install wise)?

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3447 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

36 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

How about adding the F-15 ground steering, if applicable? :dunno:

Thanks for your efforts.

Can you elaborate?  I know the F22 obviously has ground steering already, is there something lacking?  Not that I know if I could do anything about it.  We're still limited by the F-15C avionics.  Things like the Radar, RWR, SMS and HUD displays can't be altered.  

17 minutes ago, 72westy said:

Thanks for the reply. After install of the default GrinnelliDesigns F-22 do I need to do for your mod (install wise)?

For my addon just install it over top of the default mod.  It contains new versions of any files that were changed.  Two versions Single Player and Multi Player.  Main difference being Multi doesn't change weapons or performance and only changes displays and textures it uses all the other stock mod stuff.  Single does change weapons and performance etc.

• Like 1

Playing with this last night I thought that the weapons bay indicators needed something to set them apart from the rest of the indicators on the new SYS page.  So I made the following change:

The box will show up white and surround them during normal operation.  The box will illuminate yellow when any bay doors are open.

Both versions updated.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm

first of all a big thank you for all the work you have done in this mod. I would like the French community to be as active for the RAFALE which as we all know, far exceeds the F22 .....🤣🤣🤣
I have a question about your changes, is this just script? or did you also make 3d modifications? How I could modify the RAFALE to have something in the same style? mfd hud etc scripted rather than 3d model for each page.
Thank you for your answer.

51 minutes ago, Seyv said:

first of all a big thank you for all the work you have done in this mod. I would like the French community to be as active for the RAFALE which as we all know, far exceeds the F22 .....🤣🤣🤣
I have a question about your changes, is this just script? or did you also make 3d modifications? How I could modify the RAFALE to have something in the same style? mfd hud etc scripted rather than 3d model for each page.
Thank you for your answer.

Most of it just script.  The existing pages were / are in place and I modified them to include new or existing elements from other pages.  The only "new" code I added was for the MAP page on the PMFD to determine what map you are on and load a graphic.  A lot of other graphic changes were done for various elements but all of it based on what was already in the mod with just a few exceptions.

Looking through all of the stuff that I've done, I think I've modified almost everything except the model of the F22.  And remember that this mod includes contributions from other community members in this thread.  Things like adding additional controls or clickable buttons and of course the totally fantastic textures that Texac did for the Raptor.  All of the texture packs I did were based on his work and the fact that he shared the layered template with me to make them. 

I didn't make any 3D modifications outside of the model file for the AIM-120D.  I hex edited the 120C model to use a different texture and renamed it to 120D.  Other things like adding the normal map to the canopy so that it has reflections, that depended on the model already being set up for them, and it was, I just modified it.

Adding reflections to the MFD's just required adding a new graphic that was semi-transparent.

All of this was only possible because of the way the original mod was coded.  And we're also limited by the fact that the systems files are encrypted.  I completely understand that the dev team didn't want their code stolen and that's why they encrypted them.

Adding the extra MFD elements in the place of non functional or static pages wasn't a tremendous feat of coding prowess LOL.  I just looked at what was available, figured out how it worked and copied stuff into different files to get this result.

I'm personally not too familiar with the RAFALE  though I do have it installed.  Provided it's code is similar and not encrypted, similar changes should be possible.

Sorry for another update same day LOL.  I had been toying with the idea of replacing the HYD and OIL gauges with other readings but I really liked them.  So I looked at the spacing and realized that there is exactly room for one line at the top under those gauges for something else and it would balance out the spacing for the indicators on the sides.

I added FUEL/FUEL FLOW information on the left and right sides.  All displays updated and both versions updated.  Ok, I think I'm done with this page 🙂  I'm happy with how it looks.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seyv said:

why don't you put the map in color?

I've toyed with that.  In fact there's a file called MAP.pdn located in .\Mods\aircraft\F-22A\Cockpit\Scripts\IndicationTextures\MAPS that's a layered Paint.Net (free graphics software) file and it has some colored maps there.  The main issue was I didn't have good copies of colored maps for the various regions.  I could try and capture them from the F10 view.  I'm using a mod in my install that makes the maps look like a "tactical" type of color scheme and that's the shades of green.  I thought that it looked cool and that's what I was using.

Of course the map graphics are just DDS files labeled MAP1 - MAP5 located in .\Mods\aircraft\F-22A\Cockpit\Scripts\IndicationTextures.

If someone comes up with better looking maps and wants to share, please have it.

Thanks!

Today I made a couple of minor changes to the checklist page.  Removed the title and put a box around the IAS at the top as well as referenced auto flaps in the lists.  Since the flaps will auto extend and retract.

And I made some enhancements to the engine gauges on all related pages based on the operation we see.

RPM gauges have a red mark where the generators shut down/power up and a yellow mark at 100%.  Exceeding 100% turns them yellow to indicate afterburner is engaged.  Until that point they're green.

EGT gauges have a yellow mark for warning and a red mark for "crap I'm on fire".  They will turn yellow when that mark is passed and red if an engine is on fire.  Until that point they're green.

OIL pressure gauges have a red mark at the point where its considered minimum safe pressure.  Below that point, the gauges turn red.  There's no functionality for high pressure modeled.  Above that point they're green.

HYD pressure gauges have a red mark at the point where it's considered minimum safe pressure.  Below that point, the gauges also turn red.  Above that point they're green.

Both versions updated.

01.jpg

02.jpg

I'm working on a way to make the PMFD map page more useful.  One thing that I was thinking was to use part of the compass/HSI overlay but instead of distance / course data on the left and right I'd like it to display the current players LAT / LONG coordinates.  Displaying a string isn't hard but determining what variable gives that information is something I don't know.

The following is a code example to display the heading information:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEADINGNUM                            = CreateElement "ceStringPoly"
HEADINGNUM.name                        = "heading"
HEADINGNUM.material                    = UFD_FONT
HEADINGNUM.init_pos                    = {0, 0.865, 0} --L-R,U-D,F-B
HEADINGNUM.alignment                = "CenterCenter"
HEADINGNUM.stringdefs                = {0.008, 0.008, 0, 0.0}
HEADINGNUM.additive_alpha            = true
HEADINGNUM.collimated                = false
HEADINGNUM.isdraw                    = true    
HEADINGNUM.use_mipfilter            = true
HEADINGNUM.h_clip_relation            = h_clip_relations.COMPARE
HEADINGNUM.level                    = 2
HEADINGNUM.element_params            = {"MFD_OPACITY","NAV","PMFD_MAP_PAGE"}
HEADINGNUM.formats                    = {"%03.0f"}--= {"%02.0f"}
HEADINGNUM.controllers                = {{"opacity_using_parameter",0},{"text_using_parameter",1,0},{"parameter_in_range",2,0.9,1.1}}
Add(HEADINGNUM)  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note in the element_params I've bolded "NAV" as that is what identifies the heading number parameter.  Does anyone know what parameter gives LAT or LONG?  

I'll keep poking around as obviously other aircraft can display this like the F16 does on it's INS page.

Thanks!

Edited by Nightstorm

On 11/9/2021 at 12:52 PM, Nightstorm said:

Can you elaborate?  I know the F22 obviously has ground steering already, is there something lacking?  Not that I know if I could do anything about it.  We're still limited by the F-15C avionics.  Things like the Radar, RWR, SMS and HUD displays can't be altered.  

For my addon just install it over top of the default mod.  It contains new versions of any files that were changed.  Two versions Single Player and Multi Player.  Main difference being Multi doesn't change weapons or performance and only changes displays and textures it uses all the other stock mod stuff.  Single does change weapons and performance etc.

The switches, alt q and n, do nothing. F-15, with Alt q has a limited steering radius and n increases it. It works in the f-15 but not in the F-22.

I'm not trying to make more work for you! It just seems, to me, that a heavy plane like the F-22 is a tad nimble or quick on the turn. :dunno:

Thank you! :pilotfly:

Here are the changes I'm testing with the PMFD Map page.  I added a grid overlay for the maps and labels for the grid.  I removed the HSI elements except for the compas and heading.

Both versions updated.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dauntless said:

The switches, alt q and n, do nothing. F-15, with Alt q has a limited steering radius and n increases it. It works in the f-15 but not in the F-22.

I'm not trying to make more work for you! It just seems, to me, that a heavy plane like the F-22 is a tad nimble or quick on the turn. :dunno:

Thank you! :pilotfly:

I checked.   Those commands are in fact present for the F22, they just don't appear to do anything.  Nose wheel steering and steering range.  I bound them to controls and tried them and it ignores them.  I'd guess that's controlled by the FCS.lua file since it's tied to the rudder deflection.  That's one of the Systems files and they're encrypted.  So not much we can do about that.

• Thanks 2

I've made some adjustments to the Single Player version thrust table based on the feedback in the GR video and the publicly available data.

Namely:

Performance

• Maximum speed: Mach 2.25 (1,500 mph, 2,414 km/h) at altitude
    • Mach 1.21, 800 knots (921 mph; 1,482 km/h) at sea level
    • Mach 1.82 (1,220 mph, 1,963 km/h) supercruise at altitude

Now these are most likely estimates as we know that there are a lot of variables that would affect max speed. 

The changes I made reduced the military thrust values by 3.35% and the afterburner values by 19%.

The end result is performance that very closely matches the public figures.

(Super Cruise at ~Mach 1.82 and max afterburner speed of ~Mach 2.35.  Mach 1.2 max at sea level)

As I neared empty the supercruise speed climbed up to Mach 1.88 but I was literally out of gas and those max speeds were at 40k feet.  It's not clear what "at altitude" means exactly but that's where I got the best performance.

Down on the desk over the Black See at 200 ft baro and 90 ft RDR ALT I hit Mach 1.2 before running out of gas.

So with all of those values based on the information we have, that's as close as I can get it.  Thrust, weight, fuel amount and top speeds are all pretty close.

Single Player version updated in first post.

Edited by Nightstorm

17 hours ago, Nightstorm said:

Here are the changes I'm testing with the PMFD Map page.  I added a grid overlay for the maps and labels for the grid.  I removed the HSI elements except for the compas and heading.

Both versions updated.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Amazing, is there any way to have the map display also on the other MFCD's, not only on the central one? Thanks

9 minutes ago, Fab8ball said:

Amazing, is there any way to have the map display also on the other MFCD's, not only on the central one? Thanks

The only way that would work is to replace an existing page, similar to what I did with the old checklist page (it's now a sys page).  The files that control that are encrypted so unfortunately new pages can't be added.

28 minutes ago, Nightstorm said:

The only way that would work is to replace an existing page, similar to what I did with the old checklist page (it's now a sys page).  The files that control that are encrypted so unfortunately new pages can't be added.

would be handy to have the radar and the map on two MFCDs simultaneously...

9 minutes ago, Fab8ball said:

would be handy to have the radar and the map on two MFCDs simultaneously...

Yea I agree.  It *would* be possible to change it on only ONE of the MFD's though.....say the center MFD.

The way they work now is this.....

All three MFD's share the common pages except Left has SMS, Right has RWR, and Center has (nothing special)

The PMFD has Radar, the MAP and a few other displays.

I *could* put the MAP on the Center MFD and then something else on the PMFD where the map is.....or just leave it on the PMFD and ADD it to the CenterMFD where the SYS page currently is.  You'd still have the SYS page on Left and Right MFD's and then you could have the map on either center MFD.

Any ideas?  Maybe swap the SYS page from the Center MFD with the PMFD Map page?  It would be a little harder to see the map on the slightly smaller display though.

Edited by Nightstorm

@Fab8ball Thanks for the suggestion.  MAP is now a "special" function on the CMFD menu with a slightly customized version of the MAP.  I had to remove the "hash" marks to make room for the MENU option and the heading display.  I removed them from the PMFD MAP as well as I thought it looked better without them.

So now you can have the MAP on the CMFD if you choose.  It replaced the SYS page.

Both versions updated.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just realized that on the new MAP page the menu's are wrong.  They need to be the same as the SYS page was.  I'll fix that.

*EDIT*  Fixed.  And I also adjusted the location for the afterburner "zone" on the RPM gauges as they needed to be a little higher to line up with needle.

Both versions updated. 

00.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm

On 11/6/2021 at 9:17 PM, Nightstorm said:

I've made another update to both versions.  As I'm sure you know the whole reason that the Raptor carries it's weapons internally is for stealth, and the bay doors only stay open long enough to deploy a weapon before closing again.  The reason of course, is that when they're open, you're less stealthy.  

The only indication that existed previously was on the bay page and you could see which bays are open via the graphic.  If air override was engaged that shows up as well.  

Now, there is a "caution" indicator in yellow on the warning panels that'll read "BAY DOOR" when any of the three doors are open.  This will show up on the left and right UFD's as well as the main PMFD warning display.  In addition, on the System display pages the menu item for BAY will also illuminate in yellow whenever a bay door is open.

This is evident when deploying a weapon, you'll see the warning light up momentarily while the bay is open.  They will illuminate in air or ground override modes as well.

I placed the BAY DOOR warning on the same line as the AAR READY.  There wasn't room for anything else on a separate line and I figured that is the least used warning.  If you do happen to open your AAR door and the bay doors at the same time, the warnings will overlap.

01.jpg

I wish the same speed of ED's updates like yours 😁 ... great work by the way. I download a new version every second day 😁. This is the best DCS mod ... after A-4 of course 😉.

• Thanks 1