F-22A Raptor mod enhancement mod

Hello

I'm back. After a long time and many operations, I'm finally back in the pit. First of all, many thanks to everyone who works on the F22 and especially to Nightstorm. I have now finished the Helios profile and would like to make it available to you.

DCS F22A.zip

Simply copy files to the respective positions as usual and you're done.
Unfortunately the RWR still doesn't work, but I hope it will in the future
will be displayed at some point.
Have fun and I hope it goes as well for you as it did for me.
I had to reinstall DCS Obenbeta and then have the profile in the new Helios
v1.6.6050.1 tested and it runs without problems.

greeting
Mike

nullimage.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the display "wierdness" in DCS OB 2.9.2.  For me, I'm using a 4090 and both in 2D and VR I'm seeing the RADAR grid, or part of it, on the PMFD at certain angles.  Additionally, I'm seeing delays in display elements being rendered.  They do render, but what used to be "instant" when you switched pages now has a pause like it has to load everything.

Is anyone else seeing this?  And it'd be nice to have some idea of what's in common.  I've updated to the latest NVidia drivers as well 546.33.

Hi Nightstorm Since I don't use VR, I can only tell you that there are no strange things in the Helios. So it seems to be a VR problem. You have probably deleted the shader files in the Savedgame folder and the further steps you should take if there are graphics problems. VR still has some construction sites, and we also have one or two people in our DCS group with small problems. But if these problems only occur in the F22, I'm unfortunately at a loss. I hope someone else can help you with the problem.

Greeting

Mike

I wish you all a happy new year💫

image.jpeg

Edited by Mike34
  • Like 2

So. To get info in one box  - does f-22 and AIM-D in it work correctly with latest OB 2.9.anything? If so, what do I need to install. Before have used Grinelli + nightstorms stuff in the first page of this topic. Tried yesterday, ripped my wings off with pretty much every missile, and the ones that didnt just flew straight. So, is there a way to get f-22 with atleast 1 modern weapon working? EDIT: To be clear, the plane works fine (outcluding those display / rdr grid probs.. but thats another thing) -> does the wpns work somehow, and what do i need for it if so? Shortly: Does any modern msl mod work ATM. Heck did not even find anymore mod that would  get r-77´s to su´s (russian su´s ofc..) (yes I know ED changed stuff with 2.8 / 2.9 that "broke" old msl mods  /flightpaths. Not that I had any clue how those really work ;D) 

Edited by Wiggo

On 12/31/2023 at 12:53 PM, mrjay said:

I'm not seeing radar issue.

Maybe delete fxo and metashaders folders from DCS.openbeta directory after update?

And Happy New Year to DCS community!!!

I clear those shaders after every update.  I'm seeing the Radar screen "clipping" in 2D and VR.  It's only on the PMFD and its present at certain angles.  The only screen that it doesn't interfere with is the RADAR of course.  I see a part of the F15 Radar grid flashing or clipping through the other pages.  If others are not seeing it, that's good.  That means it's an issue with either video drivers or some graphics setting.  When I turn off DLAA and select MSAA for example, that "clipping" is still there, but it's not flashing.  I've got a 4090 and using latest drivers 546.33.  If anyone comes across a solution, let me know thanks!

2 hours ago, Wiggo said:

So. To get info in one box  - does f-22 and AIM-D in it work correctly with latest OB 2.9.anything? If so, what do I need to install. Before have used Grinelli + nightstorms stuff in the first page of this topic. Tried yesterday, ripped my wings off with pretty much every missile, and the ones that didnt just flew straight. So, is there a way to get f-22 with atleast 1 modern weapon working? EDIT: To be clear, the plane works fine (outcluding those display / rdr grid probs.. but thats another thing) -> does the wpns work somehow, and what do i need for it if so? Shortly: Does any modern msl mod work ATM. Heck did not even find anymore mod that would  get r-77´s to su´s (russian su´s ofc..) (yes I know ED changed stuff with 2.8 / 2.9 that "broke" old msl mods  /flightpaths. Not that I had any clue how those really work ;D) 

The AIM-120D code was just fixed for the Modern missiles mod.  I'll be implementing that same code into the F22 this week.  The issue with the missiles detonating on the F22 has been a problem for a little while.  The ONLY consistent solution I've found is to make sure the missile has a clear line of sight to the target.  That means, if the target is say nose high at 30 degrees and you fire an AMRAAM, the missile may try to fly THROUGH you to get to the target.  That makes it's warhead prox fuse on YOU.  I've messed with delays, throwing the missiles farther away etc.  Nothing has worked consistently.

Well, maybe something else interfere in saved games folder ... so you could also try "fresh" install of mods(after ranaming DCS folder in saved games directory).

Sorry for not being more specific, but i had some issue with a game after an update few months ago(around october or november). I'm not sure now what helped, but I remember "repairing" installation and cleaning saved games dcs folder.

I am also seeing the F15C radar flickering over the center MDF but only, like you mentioned, on the very edge of the FOV, but this is a none-issue for me. I have a RTX4080 with current drivers

any idea why my RDR altitude is shown in meters instead of feet? is it in feet for you?

1 more thing: how do you aim the B61s?

Edited by Senshi Kenpachi

4 hours ago, Senshi Kenpachi said:

I am also seeing the F15C radar flickering over the center MDF but only, like you mentioned, on the very edge of the FOV, but this is a none-issue for me. I have a RTX4080 with current drivers

any idea why my RDR altitude is shown in meters instead of feet? is it in feet for you?

1 more thing: how do you aim the B61s?

I wonder if it's an RTX / Driver issue.  It wasn't happening until recently.  I don't have any code that defines the altitude in any specific type of measurement.   At least, nothing I'm aware of.

B61 is not a guided bomb.  And since the only way to get bombs working on the Raptor was to use the AIM-7 Sparrow from the F15's avionics.  So....it's a nuke.  Like they say "Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and tactical nuclear weapons."  So, we're covered.  😄

Missile code has been updated with fixes for OB 2.9.2.49940.  They are once again working correctly at long ranges.  The links in the first post are current.  This affects the Single Player version and the External weapons add on.

And I know that they will sometimes detonate on your own aircraft if the angle is wrong.  

Example:  The target you have locked is above you < 10 miles because your in dogfight mode.  You lock up the target and fire a 120D.  The missile drops from the bay, then fires and guides toward the target, in that time...you fly BETWEEN the target and the missile.  The proximity fuse is armed.  It's not particularly discriminating about WHAT it fused on.  So, make sure you have a good angle when firing.  This works for me nearly 100% of the time.

And...I have seen other instances where stock missile explode on paid modules when launched.  It's not just the F22.  I've tried to tweak them as much as I can, increased the arming delay and such.  It is what it is.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Senshi Kenpachi said:

ok, then ill just stuka-drop the B61s^^

is the RDR altitude in meters or in feet on your install?

I can see that you added the AIM-152 missiles but I cant find them ingame - am I missing something?

Yep, the way I dropped the B61's was from high altitude and loft them exactly that way.

I'm pretty sure the RDR alt is in feet on my install.  I don't know what would change that.

No, the 152's are NOT added to the public release.  You'll need to get that mod from CurrenHill if you want them.  Some files are copied from my personal install as it makes it easier to maintain only one version.  But, the assets wont' be available for mods I don't have permission to redistribute.

Edited by Nightstorm

Hi Nightstorm,

I have found an easy and repeatable nuke dropping method:

• alt: 40000ft above the target
  • speed: mach 2
  • distance to the target (use waypoints): 20nm

this way the bombs drop within 0.5 nm of the target and if you do a hard U turn after the drop, you are about 50-55nm away from the target when the nuke goes off - which feels like a safe distance for a 50kt warhead ^^ (bomb flight time: ~175 seconds)

BUUTT the nukes do no damage to ships, which means that the fleet nuking mission I had in mind does not work =(((

do you know what the problem might be? explosion on/traveling over water might be an issue?

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Senshi Kenpachi said:

Hi Nightstorm,

I have found an easy and repeatable nuke dropping method:

• alt: 40000ft above the target
  • speed: mach 2
  • distance to the target (use waypoints): 20nm

this way the bombs drop within 0.5 nm of the target and if you do a hard U turn after the drop, you are about 50-55nm away from the target when the nuke goes off - which feels like a safe distance for a 50kt warhead ^^ (bomb flight time: ~175 seconds)

BUUTT the nukes do no damage to ships, which means that the fleet nuking mission I had in mind does not work =(((

do you know what the problem might be? explosion on/traveling over water might be an issue?

It's probably the warhead parameters.  It wasn't intended for anti-ship.  I've adjusted the warhead.  Try the attached file.  It goes into the X:\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\AircraftWeaponPack folder.  You can backup the original first.  I only changed the 50KT one.

Let me know how it works.

A2G_Bombs.lua

Edited by Nightstorm

Installed that first page (2024 patch) SP version + external wpns. I have A/G test mission for f-16 + cbu-105 that seems to fall long (thats another case...). Well ran that mission -> lost all enemy ground units somewhere, outcluding static objects. -> repair dcs + remove f-22 mod -> enemy ground units back again. Dunno reason, but somehow this mod + enchancements with ext wpns lose all enemy ground targets. Dunno if that is same thing with f-22 but the point is-> no ground units in any mission, atleast with f-16. Maby i will try with grinelli only, but atleast havent noticed this kind of behaviour before. Can somebody reply this prob..?

cant see much difference with the file you provided.

the 50kt nuke only kills small ships ~2000 feet away and only scratches big ships like carriers.

I will do some more testing with and without the file and will let you know (I did not have this file before (maybe because I only own the A10C2 and FC3?))

I see that you entered "expl_mass = 50000000" - maybe this is in lb and needs to be doubled?

9 minutes ago, Senshi Kenpachi said:

cant see much difference with the file you provided.

the 50kt nuke only kills small ships ~2000 feet away and only scratches big ships like carriers.

I will do some more testing with and without the file and will let you know (I did not have this file before (maybe because I only own the A10C2 and FC3?))

I see that you entered "expl_mass = 50000000" - maybe this is in lb and needs to be doubled?

That's the 50kt explosive force.  Yes, increasing that will have a direct affect on the damage done.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Wiggo said:

Installed that first page (2024 patch) SP version + external wpns. I have A/G test mission for f-16 + cbu-105 that seems to fall long (thats another case...). Well ran that mission -> lost all enemy ground units somewhere, outcluding static objects. -> repair dcs + remove f-22 mod -> enemy ground units back again. Dunno reason, but somehow this mod + enchancements with ext wpns lose all enemy ground targets. Dunno if that is same thing with f-22 but the point is-> no ground units in any mission, atleast with f-16. Maby i will try with grinelli only, but atleast havent noticed this kind of behaviour before. Can somebody reply this prob..?

Do you also have the F-16 CFT mod installed?  For the F-22 Single player mod it installs the A2A_Missiles.lua in your saved games folder 

.\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\F-22A

If you have the F-16 CFT mod it installs the exact same file in your main install folder

.\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\AircraftWeaponPack

DELETE the one from your saved games F22 folder.

As mentioned on the first post:

Single player external stores changes.  This requires changes to one main install folder but allows missiles on wing pylons.  USE THIS IF YOU ALSO HAVE THE CFT MOD OR THE CATM WEAPONS MOD INSTALLED.  There is a common file A2A_Missiles.lua that you can't have two copies of.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 2

Hi Nightstorm,

I had to replace the file in Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Aircraft\F-22A and not DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\AircraftWeaponPack like you said, for it to have an effect.

Anyway, the difference is minimal: 1000ft ship kill range instead of 900ft

I did all tests using CHs Grigorovich since they seemed like a decent sized/armored target.

According to nukemap the 20psi overpressure radius of a 50kt warhead (surface explosion) is 2625ft - so I would expect all ships in this range to be toast.

Looking at Crossroads-Baker, which was done with a 23kt warhead at 90ft depth: it sank a battleships 2297ft away.

Before I start changing these values myself, can you please help me understand them better?

expl_mass -> are these in pounds or kilos?

concrete_obj_factor, cumulative_factor, obj_factors -> what are these doing?

Also, helicopters are killed are far as 21.5nm away, which seems excessive, so I would have to reduce this - any idea on how ship killing can be increased while air target killing can be decreased?

Thanks a lot for this

12 hours ago, Senshi Kenpachi said:

Hi Nightstorm,

I had to replace the file in Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Aircraft\F-22A and not DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\AircraftWeaponPack like you said, for it to have an effect.

Anyway, the difference is minimal: 1000ft ship kill range instead of 900ft

I did all tests using CHs Grigorovich since they seemed like a decent sized/armored target.

According to nukemap the 20psi overpressure radius of a 50kt warhead (surface explosion) is 2625ft - so I would expect all ships in this range to be toast.

Looking at Crossroads-Baker, which was done with a 23kt warhead at 90ft depth: it sank a battleships 2297ft away.

Before I start changing these values myself, can you please help me understand them better?

expl_mass -> are these in pounds or kilos?

concrete_obj_factor, cumulative_factor, obj_factors -> what are these doing?

Also, helicopters are killed are far as 21.5nm away, which seems excessive, so I would have to reduce this - any idea on how ship killing can be increased while air target killing can be decreased?

Thanks a lot for this

I believe it's in Kilograms.  The warheads.lua used be accessible and had details of how the warhead information was done.  The last version that was available was in DCS 2.5.6.  After that, they encrypted/hid all of those files.  I don't have information on exactly what each variable does.  It was a lot of trial and error.  The settings changes I suggested were based on an anti-ship missile, which one would presume is designed to damage ships....so, if it didn't affect it, I can't tell you why not.

On 1/6/2024 at 6:48 PM, Nightstorm said:

Do you also have the F-16 CFT mod installed?  For the F-22 Single player mod it installs the A2A_Missiles.lua in your saved games folder 

.\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\F-22A

If you have the F-16 CFT mod it installs the exact same file in your main install folder

.\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\AircraftWeaponPack

DELETE the one from your saved games F22 folder.

As mentioned on the first post:

Single player external stores changes.  This requires changes to one main install folder but allows missiles on wing pylons.  USE THIS IF YOU ALSO HAVE THE CFT MOD OR THE CATM WEAPONS MOD INSTALLED.  There is a common file A2A_Missiles.lua that you can't have two copies of.

Nice. That worked. Just for interest - Is there some easy way to use grinellis original flight model but your weapons? Could I install these wpn changes without touching the f-22 itself, in some "convinient" way. (like droppin files / folders of from sp update etc?) 

On 1/13/2024 at 2:24 PM, Wiggo said:

Nice. That worked. Just for interest - Is there some easy way to use grinellis original flight model but your weapons? Could I install these wpn changes without touching the f-22 itself, in some "convinient" way. (like droppin files / folders of from sp update etc?) 

I included three different flight model variants in the mod.  \Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\F-22A\_Backup\Stock\F-22a.lua contains the stock (Grinellie's) flight model.  Just overwrite the one in the F-22A folder.  The one that's installed by default is in the Custom folder.

The original F-22A lua files from Grinelli's mod is encrypted and will not work with the weapons I've added.  It has to be replaced.