F-22A Raptor mod enhancement mod

@Nightstorm i don't know if this has happened to anyone else but when moving the core mods folder from the f22 external weapons folder to dcs/coremods/aircraft, the game wont load certain game assets like ships or causing ground units to not fire or appear after placing in mission editor i tried repair and fully reinstalling every mod and finally coming back to this specific folder coremods/aircraft/aircraftweaponpack/a2g_bombs.lua something in this folder is causing issues for certain assets, i removed the a2g.lua from the folder and changed the entry lua to also remove "nightstorm a2g" from that as well and everything is now working perfectly for me

to clarify when downloading the external weapon mod for the f22 remove the a2g_bombs.lua that comes with it and i also used the line a2a_ missile.lua from the external weapons mod and added it to my stock entry.lua

On 1/2/2024 at 10:24 PM, Nightstorm said:

Missile code has been updated with fixes for OB 2.9.2.49940.  They are once again working correctly at long ranges.  The links in the first post are current.  This affects the Single Player version and the External weapons add on.

And I know that they will sometimes detonate on your own aircraft if the angle is wrong.  

Example:  The target you have locked is above you < 10 miles because your in dogfight mode.  You lock up the target and fire a 120D.  The missile drops from the bay, then fires and guides toward the target, in that time...you fly BETWEEN the target and the missile.  The proximity fuse is armed.  It's not particularly discriminating about WHAT it fused on.  So, make sure you have a good angle when firing.  This works for me nearly 100% of the time.

And...I have seen other instances where stock missile explode on paid modules when launched.  It's not just the F22.  I've tried to tweak them as much as I can, increased the arming delay and such.  It is what it is.

@Nightstorm hey, do you have news on this, im getting the missile to explode my self all the times man.. I love your enhancement but this is killing me (literally) on long missions....

Hi, I'm new to DCS, but have started dabbling into modding

I use OVGME so i can turn stuff on and off at will-
I do have the grinneli F 22 mod which works - as well as the F 15 EX mod by Spino, v 1.7

I just grabbed and am trying to use the F22 single player enhancement mod- but it makes DCS hang at 45% when i start DCS after enabling it

Not sure what's causing it when only the (should be compatible) F 22 and F 15EX mods are active

Any advice?
I can attach or send  a crash log if that helps?

I do not have the CFT MOD OR THE CATM WEAPONS MOD
installed

Edited by Zapon

On 3/17/2024 at 12:21 AM, Zapon said:

Hi, I'm new to DCS, but have started dabbling into modding

I use OVGME so i can turn stuff on and off at will-
I do have the grinneli F 22 mod which works - as well as the F 15 EX mod by Spino, v 1.7

I just grabbed and am trying to use the F22 single player enhancement mod- but it makes DCS hang at 45% when i start DCS after enabling it

Not sure what's causing it when only the (should be compatible) F 22 and F 15EX mods are active

Any advice?
I can attach or send  a crash log if that helps?

I do not have the CFT MOD OR THE CATM WEAPONS MOD
installed

This worked for me, from Nightstorm aswer in this topic:

Make sure you don't have the A2A_Missiles.lua file in two locations.  From the first post:

Single player external stores changes.  This requires changes to one main install folder but allows missiles on wing pylons.  USE THIS IF YOU ALSO HAVE THE CFT MOD OR THE CATM WEAPONS MOD INSTALLED.  There is a common file A2A_Missiles.lua that you can't have two copies of.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zia323bvadtkznl/F-22A External Weapons.7z?dl=0

One is installed in the saved folder .\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\F-22A and the other into the main folder under .\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\AircraftWeaponPack.  Delete the one from your saved folder and comment it out of the entry.lua you find there.  An example is in the linked mod.

Edited by davigt

@Nightstorm Please take a look at this mission I made to reproduce the problem with the missile self exploding the F22-A

To reproduce, just take off, lock any target in dual track mode (TWS), and when you fire the 1st missile all good, but when I fire the 2nd missile it instant explode the F22. The missile even go out or w/e, as soon as I press again for the 2nd shot on the 2nd target I instant explode. Seems to be nothing with delay, or how far you can throw the missile, there might be something else.

I also noticed a strange behavior of the missile, it does not go down and forward, it somehow go down, then up to the side, then the boost come on and he start taking off.. strange behavior..

This happened to me when firing 2 x AIM-120D on dual track (TWS) on 2 diferent targets. I wated like 5 sec between each shot. The 2nd shot always explode my self. Here I attach the mission with the missiles and aircraft ready for you.

I dont know how to save a track file of single player mission, if I knew I would also upload a replay so you can watch, but as I told you can reproduce that in the mission if you want.

Please take a look at it ❤️

Peace

Liberacao do Davizao 1 - Solo Play - Rev1.miz

8 minutes ago, davigt said:

This worked for me, from @Nightstorm aswer in this topic:

Make sure you don't have the A2A_Missiles.lua file in two locations.  From the first post:

Single player external stores changes.  This requires changes to one main install folder but allows missiles on wing pylons.  USE THIS IF YOU ALSO HAVE THE CFT MOD OR THE CATM WEAPONS MOD INSTALLED.  There is a common file A2A_Missiles.lua that you can't have two copies of.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zia323bvadtkznl/F-22A External Weapons.7z?dl=0

One is installed in the saved folder .\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\F-22A and the other into the main folder under .\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\AircraftWeaponPack.  Delete the one from your saved folder and comment it out of the entry.lua you find there.  An example is in the linked mod.

So - i DO NOT have either of those mods even- and do not have that A2A file in duplicate spots- it's only in the Enhancement Mod by Nightstorm and appears when  i turn on the mod in OVGME as expected.  It's NOT in the Core game mod folder

But, i got the enhancement mod working - i REDOWNLOADED the F 22 Enhancement mod, and turned it on, WITH the F 22 and F 15 EX mod on

(was  about to , for troubleshooting purposes attempt to turn off the F 22 mod and just run Nightstorm's F 22 enhancement mod - but that didn't end up happening- because - )

It works

I must not have had the latest version - looks like I literally got the prior version a day before it was last updated, - whoops.

Question o nthe 9X-

Before the enhancement mod, the Grinneli basem od has the AIM-9X and AIm-9XX

where X is for the 9X, if it was mounted outside, to simulate drag from an external carried missile

and XX was Internally carried AIM9X - and had no drag on a plane to simulate inside carrige

With the Enhancement mod we now have AIM 9X, 9X2 and 9X3

Can it be clarified what each of these missiles differences is?
if i Read the readme right,

the 9X is ...a completely new 9X from the CATM mod apparently, that was copied to here????

And the 9X3 is the old XX - but what are each of these missiles now?

Since i see we now have
AIM-9X  AIM-9X2 AIM-9X3

Are these now just simulating actual modern 9X variants, with higher numbers meaning later ones? I

f so, what's the story with drag for each of them? Are they all supposed to represent internal ones only now? Just curious

EDIT: I see the X2 and X3 go in the internal bay but the 9X now can be wing mounted on dual racks and is the only variant that can be externally carried.

EDIT#2. I spotted  this post
------------------------

Names are:

AIM-9X-2, AIM-9X-2+(9L Replacement), AIM-9X-3.

AIM-9X-3 thrust increased by 10% over the 9X-2+ as its expected to have a better rocket motor.  The values used for the 9X-2+ were the ones previously used for the 9X-3.
------------------------------

So, drag isn't a issue anymore i guess with the enhancement mod

Edited by Zapon

To answer a few questions (since I've dumped way too much time digging around this mod of this plane)

A general PSA for people complaining about RCS - We all know RCS doesn't "work that way". There isn't a good way to represent the effect of RCS for a plane whose main selling point is its RCS. RCS is a single number in the DCS engine and the DCS engine does not allow RCS to change by aspect. No modder can change this if the game engine itself doesn't support it. If you don't like it, go into F-22A.lua, Ctrl+F RCS and change it yourself. There really isn't any need to discuss RCS here as this question has been answered to pieces not just in this thread but also any other thread about RCS.

@flavnet@Mike34

Disclaimer: I play on version 2.8.6.41363 (for reasons I'll describe later)

I have a "working" J20 mod. It's not flyable and the textures are crap but the AI works just fine and the damage model isn't broken. When DCS 2.9 first came out, the J20 still worked the same. The two J20 mods you can download - one has a broken damage model that can take 4 missile hits and still fly. I took the other one that didn't load and ported the 3d model to the one with a broken damage model and it seems to work fine as an AI plane.

@F-35 Guy

The avionics is entirely from the FC3 F15. There is no way to model an AESA radar accurately. This isn't just because of classified information. DCS doesn't offer the tools to be able to do this (as far as I know) and even if it were to offer these tools, it would take a dedicated development team to create it. For the purposes of a mod the FC3 F15-C avionics are just the most accessible. One notable thing that AESA radars are immune against is notching - and no matter how powerful you can mod a radar in DCS, every single radar and missile gets defeated by a notch. This isn't something that a mod can fix either I don't think.

@Themonsterisme

Yes. It is a problem with RCS. The original grinnelli mod has an RCS value of 0.1. A work around to this could be to use MOOSE scripting to keep an limit the engagement range by aspect quadrant when you fly the F22 but that's a whole other story. Also if you are setting up this mod in your own server with other fifth gen aircraft, please be aware that there are two different places where a plane's radar power is controlled:

1. If the player is flying the aircraft, there is a single value in the lua file of the aircraft (i.e F-22A.lua) called detection_range_max. This value governs how far away the player can detect a plane.

2. if the AI is flying the aircraft, the radar's range is defined in sensors.lua under AN_APG77. The only values that seem to have any effect are ASPECT_HEAD_ON,  ASPECT_TAIL_ON, and the RCS value defined here. Please note: this RCS value refers to the sensitivity measure of the radar and in my experience, decreasing this value makes the detection range a little higher.

You really have to do a lot of testing to ensure that the AI and player have the same detection ranges.

A few other things to note:

A lot of the mods of 5th gen planes right now have low RCS which is fine. However, if the RCS is too low, SAM sites won't pick them up at all in DCS. AWACS also doesn't pick them up at all. I've added and modified existing sensors for SAMS and AWACS and no matter how powerful I make their radar, they just won't pick up something with an RCS less than 0.01 ish.

@Joey_Destroyah

The last version of DCS for which lofting capability for modded missiles was still working was patch 2.8.6.41363. Since the patch after that one, the lofting behavior is no longer enabled by just the lua script itself. A missile scheme was added for the original missiles in DCS while all other missiles that did not have this scheme stopped lofting correctly. In order for those missiles to follow the original loft, you have to make the missile go active much earlier or else the missile will fly straight at the location you loft it at until it either completely overshoots the target or it sees the target too late and unrealistically tries to make a dive for it. Paired with how detection works in DCS this can lead to you missing all of your long range shots as the target will know far ahead of time that a missile is on its way. The AI, which can still fly a perfect BFM, just has to notch the missile and the missile will go dumb - even if notching shouldn't affect AESA radars with which many planes and missiles in the F-22 era are equipped with. I don't know if the recent patches have fixed it though.

Edited by Talon1-1
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 10:00 AM, Talon1-1 said:

@F-35 Guy

The avionics is entirely from the FC3 F15. There is no way to model an AESA radar accurately. This isn't just because of classified information. DCS doesn't offer the tools to be able to do this (as far as I know) and even if it were to offer these tools, it would take a dedicated development team to create it. For the purposes of a mod the FC3 F15-C avionics are just the most accessible. One notable thing that AESA radars are immune against is notching - and no matter how powerful you can mod a radar in DCS, every single radar and missile gets defeated by a notch. This isn't something that a mod can fix either I don't think.

Spino from Spinos simulations used this to make his F-15EX and I asked him and he said that Nightstorm used something to try and simulate AESA radar. And Spino had used those files with permission of course.

@F-35 Guy 

5 hours ago, F-35 Guy said:

Spino from Spinos simulations used this to make his F-15EX and I asked him and he said that Nightstorm used something to try and simulate AESA radar.

If you mean that they both added a radar with extended range, then yes. thats in sensors.lua. Look at my response to TheMonsterInMe to see how to modify it.

Other than extended detection range, there is no other trick that Spino or Nightstorm used to "emulate AESA radar". They just defined their own radar and added it to the avionics. Once again - the addition of sensors.lua define the AI's detection of your plane. The detection range of your plane vs. an AI plane is defined by detection_range_max in the F-22A.lua file.

sensors.lua does not simulate functionalities different from other FC3 radars.

Edited by Talon1-1

On 3/31/2023 at 5:07 PM, Nightstorm said:

Well, I know that tomorrow is April Fool's Day, so I thought I should get this out NOW so that no one thinks it's a prank!

Some of you may have seen the recent video by Grim Reapers showing the F22 vs F23 using the AIM-260 JATM.  I contacted Cap and asked if I could obtain that missile for use in the F-22 mod.  He checked with CurrentHill and permission was given.  Thank you! @currenthill  He provided me the model and textures.  I based the LUA code on the AIM-120D-2 and after some testing and refinement I'm pretty happy with the results.  The Raptor can carry six of them internally.  Yes, there is some clipping on the rear of them, but then again, there is with AMRAAM's too.  It is what it is.

I named the missile the AIM-260A JATM (Joint Advanced Tactical Missile). 

Every missile I've ever heard of went into service in US military with the "A" designation, I don't see why this would be any different.  I modified the texture accordingly.

The missile was added to the same A2A_Missiles.lua file and the external weapons patch and single player versions have been updated.  Links in the first post.

Readme contains:  "Added AIM-260A JATM by Currenthill (textures) and w3bby82 (3D Model) used with permission and provided by Cap (Grim Reapers) LUA based on AIM-120D-2."

01.jpg

02.jpg

Hah!  I made this years ago and just saw this pop up here today.  Not sure whether to be annoyed or amused.

Capture.jpg

37 minutes ago, F-35 Guy said:

Are you the original creator than?

I didn't make the decaled out copy I was quoting but this one here?  Yep.  Lots of sites have lifted it off Secret Projects. 

On 3/19/2024 at 2:00 PM, Talon1-1 said:

The last version of DCS for which lofting capability for modded missiles was still working was patch 2.8.6.41363. Since the patch after that one, the lofting behavior is no longer enabled by just the lua script itself. A missile scheme was added for the original missiles in DCS while all other missiles that did not have this scheme stopped lofting correctly. In order for those missiles to follow the original loft, you have to make the missile go active much earlier or else the missile will fly straight at the location you loft it at until it either completely overshoots the target or it sees the target too late and unrealistically tries to make a dive for it. Paired with how detection works in DCS this can lead to you missing all of your long range shots as the target will know far ahead of time that a missile is on its way. The AI, which can still fly a perfect BFM, just has to notch the missile and the missile will go dumb - even if notching shouldn't affect AESA radars with which many planes and missiles in the F-22 era are equipped with. I don't know if the recent patches have fixed it though.

It's a shame the lofting is messed up. Hopefully that changes in the near future or can be fixed.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

18 hours ago, greedyworl said:

am using 2.9 f22 detect on mission editor. but its not show aircraft. how fix this ? i try single player and multiplayer both not working.

Did you first install grinelli f-22 mod?

1 hour ago, greedyworl said:

not yet bro but i just download it ... and its just paste on tht folder right after i finish download https://grinnellidesigns.com/f22/ mod ?

Start with empty "Saved Games/DCS.openbeta" folder.

Create "Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Mods/aircraft/" directory structure.

Then you need to install f-22 grinelli mod to "Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Mods/aircraft/" folder.

Then you need to extract Nightstorm mod to "Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/" and replace existing files.

Cheers!

• Like 1