Lock On and Windows XP x64 SP2

Lock On on Windows XP x64 SP2.

Please post your experiences and how it compares performance wise to other solutions like:

- Windows XP SP3 (32bit)

- Vista (32bit)

- Vista (64bit)

This week new hardware arrives, so I'd really like to know which system is best for Lock On.

Note:

CPU: C2D 3.0GHz

GPU: 9800GTX

RAM: 4GB DDR2-800

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I use Vista 64bit (Service Pack 1) and quite happy.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS

I use Vista 64bit (Service Pack 1) and quite happy.

Just quite?

I have read posts how your LOFC crashes randomly on this system.

tail# 44 or 444

I tried Vista 64bit and LockOn was buggy for me. Sound was the worst and I always had that very loud engine sound even with no enignes running... beside that there were two more issues I had with this OS. V-Sync is no longer enabled through graphics drivers and to get it to work you'll need to use third part utilities and crease game proviles (where you'd set driver settings foreach game, like AA/AF etc) and some of these utilities have option to force V-Sync on in game. I personally did not find this "solution" satisfactory and decided to reinstall XP Pro again (which is what I have installed now).

Performance wise I couldn't tell any noticeable difference in LockOn comparing XP and Vista-64bit. Having full 4GB of RAM available in Vista-64bit did nothing really for peformance in LockOn. Vista-64bit with SP1 is very snappy in 2D but this lack ofV-Sync and sound issue with lockon made me turn away from it.

No longer active in DCS...

Just quite?

I have read posts how your LOFC crashes randomly on this system.

It was before Service Pack 1.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS

Works just fine for me in Vista x64...worked just fine for me in Vista x32 as well. Only difference Ive seen between Xp and Vista is the sound, and there are workaround that cost money. Personally I think they released SP1 way too early for Vista.

Shamandgg,

It basically boils down to if you have a choice, go with Windows XP, because I have it installed on all 3 OS platforms you mentioned on different machines and the sound problem alone is terrible in Vista. And seeing how you won't gain anything gaming-wise by installing Vista (32 or 64 bit) since DX10 titles are scarce at best right now anyways (FSX is only DX10 Preview which mainly affects the way the water looks), my humble opinion is to stick with XP for your continued gaming experience, since there is no performance or graphics gain currently with LockOn ( and for that matter Black Shark since it is going to be DX9 also) within Vista.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have installed XP SP3 32bit (slipstream) and Lock On works better then I expected. No big deal with 3GB limitation (for now).

I really appreciate your replies, I have also done my research regarding 64bit OS - it seems market is not ready to use this standard - too many issues alone.

Maybe I'll have a standalone install of 64bit XP only for application like 3D MAX, but for everyday use XP SP3 32bit is the best man can get - there is no better (in terms of performance/stability) Windows OS available now.

Vista sucks balls to be honest - I use it only on my laptop (came with the hardware) - works good (SP1), but it is so slow compared to XP even with all things stripped.

• Like 1

tail# 44 or 444

theres also the 1.5GB adressable memory limit for aplications. I am not sure if LOMAC is adressable beyond it. I have Supreme Commander and I had to manuly set it >1.5GB

The same procedure renders LOMAC unnusable though.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I'm using XP64 and there havn't been to many issues. I still get the game occasionally crashing to desktop but I'm pretty sure that happens to most everybody at times.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

well this solvies my prolbem for my next windows buy. good info here thanks guys.:thumbup:

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/