R27ET Data link

I am a relative noob to Lock on.

I see reference to this "data linking R27ET" in many posts. The inference that this missile is unrealistic and a monster in Lock On.

In the testing I have done I don't get an LA cue until well inside Rmax ranges of the SARH R27ER. My take on this is that this is a function of IR thresholds. i.e the ET can now actually "see" the target and is inside the kinematic envelope so the LA cue is displayed.

Now the Data linking term people use I presume refers to people using Launch Override to get the ET on its way. Then somehow it magically gets a hit even though at the time of launch the seeker couldn't "see" the target. To do this it would seem that some sort of mid course guidance is needed until the seeker head can "see" the target.

Am I on the right drift here ?

If so it would then imply that to get the magical ET shot away at these ranges you would need a radar lock therefore trigging the targets RWR ?

To the best of my knowledge both the R27ET and R73 both need to see the IR source to guide. In both cases Tone is supplied to the pilot to indicate that the seeker can see the target. In Lock On I only get seeker tone ion Boresight (Longitudinal) mode.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite. The ET is 'maddogged' like you would maddog an AMRAAM, only it's only I think the only missile to receive an initial intercept course doing so. It flies on until its seeker detects something and the rest is history.

This is pretty unrealistic, but that's how things are. Back in LO 1.00, the ET used to have a datalink indeed, and was treated as a BVR missile.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It still does :D

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Think of ET like World War torpedo :) Aim with your entire plane (make a good lead of the target), override and launch.

If the enemy assumes (and most players do) that you are doing this, pretty much a single flare and change of flightpath will trash your ET, so keep these ETs for better shots since you can carry only two.

• Like 1

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

^^^^I dont advise this. Takes the fun out of the game, when one does it, everybody will feel compeled to do the same. Basicaly it removes you out of the sky unrealisticaly and without any warning. The game becomes an aereal mine spam fest.

• Like 2

My PC specs below:

^^^^I dont advise this. Takes the fun out of the game, when one does it, everybody will feel compeled to do the same. Basicaly it removes you out of the sky unrealisticaly and without any warning. The game becomes an aereal mine spam fest.

+1 QFT

One of the reasons why I don't fly regularly online any more.

When I do I make sure to take the T version or ER's. Even when you make legitimate "in parameters" shots with the ET, you'll be called a spammer because of it's reputation.

"No matter where you go, there you are"

Intel E-8400 "Wolfdale" - Asus Maximus Formula - Swiftech H2O 120

4 Gb G.Skill PC2-8000C5 - EVGA 8800 GTS 512 - Dell 2707WFP

WD Caviar 500Gb - Vista 64

I've never had much luck mad-dogging an ET. Of course- I expect that the target is reacting in an effort to minimize a hit, too.

I find myself waiting for an LA more often than not. If I look to be killed first- I'll try to resist the urge to fire it, and go defensive if I can help it. Sometimes you just do it anyway out of panic. The ET's are too useful to waste in this manner.

I use ET only in defence or I know I am on lost position. When I know enemy on 99% shoot me down I fire ET with maddog or not to kill him too :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Real R-27ET(T) has no data link. It must be locked on before launch.

And that realistic procedure will be soon as new rules for all RAF sever users.

• Like 2

Л.Н. Гумилев - «Нынешняя интеллигенция — это такая духовная секта. Что характерно: ничего не знают, ничего не умеют, но обо всем судят и совершенно не приемлют инакомыслия...»

• ED Team

Post factum :) - no another way for now.

• Like 1

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

Post factum :) - no another way for now.
This will be very difficult to do. Lock distance depends on target aspect, relative altitude and throttle setting level. Are you planning to analyze every ET or T launch for these parameters? Unless you can somehow be in the cockpit of every airplane at the time of launch?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

This will be very difficult to do. Lock distance depends on target aspect, relative altitude and throttle setting level. Are you planning to analyze every ET or T launch for these parameters? Unless you can somehow be in the cockpit of every airplane at the time of launch?

I believe every mission the RAF server runs is recorded automatically with Tacview, as shown http://80.250.162.148/logfiles/ that would be one way of weeding out offenders, but still it will be tricky.

It's tricky because it has to be done by a person ... unless they make you eject for using LA-override ;D

But the analysis itself isn't hard. All you have to do is check if there's constant LOS angle witht he intended target. If not - it's a maddog.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Raf server save each mission to tacview track.

Tacview is good utilite for anyone analyse ,maddog lauched ET missile have a specific flight trajectory.

Л.Н. Гумилев - «Нынешняя интеллигенция — это такая духовная секта. Что характерно: ничего не знают, ничего не умеют, но обо всем судят и совершенно не приемлют инакомыслия...»

But the analysis itself isn't hard. All you have to do is check if there's constant LOS angle witht he intended target. If not - it's a maddog.
Distance, throttle setting, relative altitude and aspect angle does not matter? Lock range is different for targets flying above then the targets flying flying below and against the ground. What is the LOS (line of sight) angle for ET missiles?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Proportional navigation tries to freeze the LOS angle to target. You can see this in tacview from the missile's perspective.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Raf server save each mission to tacview track.

Tacview is good utilite for anyone analyse ,maddog lauched ET missile have a specific flight trajectory.

You could also make a script? But be carefull, make sure the condition maddog and target hit are met before marking someone as maddoger. I hapen to launch missiles acciedentaly or sometimes LA condition disapear in midflight and the misile hapens to reaquire.

good move.

My PC specs below:

As Pilotasso implied, sometimes it might look like a missile is maddoged when it's not.

F.e. If a bandit is flying towards you at full AB, you can get a lock (or tone in mode 6) with the EOS at 20-25km. If then the bandits then cuts his throttle, the missile might loose the lock and fly straight, and then re-aquaire and kill the bandit.

2075291193_EDSig.png.650cd56f2b9a043311112721c4215a47.png

64th Aggressor Squadron
Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron
TS: 135.181.115.54