What setting have u got?: Cockpit size setting using IPD

Brainfreeze

I use IPD in DCS of 33, it looks right andI beleive most realistic for me..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I think it is something that depends on your true IPD, VR headset fixed/movable IPD and whether you require corrective lenses for your eye balls.

Probably also your ball size, length from cornea to rear of eye ball...etc etc etc.

I think DCS IPD is relevant to the individual user and is therefore useless as a scientific static point of reference.

Ultimately, it hints towards a VR experience that is analogues to a pair of glasses.... perfectly designed to fit the individual. 

Which is easily achievable.... if you think about it in the right way.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:21 PM, Rogue Trooper said:

I think DCS IPD is relevant to the individual user and is therefore useless as a scientific static point of reference.

Yep, that what I was trying to figure out with this post and given the wide array of settings people use it seems that users just need to find the right value for them in the 30-60 range.

Kind of important that people know this is not IPD and should not match your own IPD.  More of a scale factor

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

9 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Kind of important that people know this is not IPD and should not match your own IPD.  More of a scale factor

I would say it's preference so leave it up to each user but that statement is misleading.

IPD literally refers to distance between your pupil.  You don't have to go to optometrist to measure it.  Just put a ruler under your eyes and take a selfie.

It SHOULD match your HMD's lens separation.  It SHOULD match separation of in-game left and right camera.

Again, the reason why scale doesn't seem correct in game is due to incorrect focal distance of each camera.  As if you're looking through a binocular backwards, everything seem small.  Not due to separation of each camera (IPD).  If you lower in-game IPD, you're basically putting your eyes close together effectively making your head small.

You can use the in-game IPD to compensate for incorrect focal distance per your preference but it's not correct to say that it "should not match your own IPD".

hmm...installed the new release of open beta...in game IPD now at 56 in the mirage...up from 45!

OK OFF THAT! ... nothing to do with new realease ... found out it has to do with the resolution used on your VR headset...

If you use a higher resolution (say native is 2000x2000 per eye and you set steamvr video setting at 3000x3000 per eye ) then your cockpit will look very small.  If you use native resolution then an in game IPD setting close your own IPD will look fine.   It therefore seems that it is a scaling factor which you need to use if you set your steamevr resolution to a higher (or lower I guess) resolution. ... going to edit the 1st post to reflect that.

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

On 12/19/2020 at 1:04 PM, Brainfreeze said:

hmm...installed the new release of open beta...in game IPD now at 56 in the mirage...up from 45!

OK OFF THAT! ... nothing to do with new realease ... found out it has to do with the resolution used on your VR headset...

If you use a higher resolution (say native is 2000x2000 per eye and you set steamvr video setting at 3000x3000 per eye ) then your cockpit will look very small.  If you use native resolution then an in game IPD setting close your own IPD will look fine.   It therefore seems that it is a scaling factor which you need to use if you set your steamevr resolution to a higher (or lower I guess) resolution. ... going to edit the 1st post to reflect that.

Just to clarify, that 2000x2000 is in your controls setting?

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, TWC_SLAG said:

Just to clarify, that 2000x2000 is in your controls setting?

Not sure I understand your question but:  2000x2000 is a random number I used in the comment...it depends on the resolution of your headset. For Reverb G2 it is 2160x2160.

However, in steamvr video settings you can specify the resolution per eye. Normally you would enter 2160x2160 for reverb headset but many specify a resolution that is higher than native resolution (upscaling) so that they get better in game resolution (for close objects in particular). I experimented with it too and was using something around 3000x3000 ... and the cockpit looked tiny so I had to change the 'force IPD' setting in DCS VR tab to something around 45 so that the cockpit looked the right size.    Hope that is clearer

Edited by Brainfreeze