Best VR Unit Now?

C3PO

I have only the Index, so I have no basis for firsthand comparison. But I chose it because of its slightly wider FoV compared to most headsets currently available*. I had been learning toward the Reverb because of its higher resolution, but then I read a couple comments here that turned me off it. One poster compared it to wearing a scuba mask, and the other said they pulled a muscle in their neck checking their six.

I've only had the Index for a few days now, and I'm still learning to fly in DCS so my experience is limited. The resolution is high enough that I can read the cockpit instruments, but the treeline bordering the airfield is blurry. Overall I'm happy with it, and I'm still tinkering with the settings.

*Of course the Pimax has an even wider FoV, but I just couldn't afford that. Even the Index was more than I could afford, really, it took me months to save up for it.

14 hours ago, KWard said:

I have only the Index, so I have no basis for firsthand comparison. But I chose it because of its slightly wider FoV compared to most headsets currently available*. I had been learning toward the Reverb because of its higher resolution, but then I read a couple comments here that turned me off it. One poster compared it to wearing a scuba mask, and the other said they pulled a muscle in their neck checking their six.

I've only had the Index for a few days now, and I'm still learning to fly in DCS so my experience is limited. The resolution is high enough that I can read the cockpit instruments, but the treeline bordering the airfield is blurry. Overall I'm happy with it, and I'm still tinkering with the settings.

*Of course the Pimax has an even wider FoV, but I just couldn't afford that. Even the Index was more than I could afford, really, it took me months to save up for it.

That's exactly the kind of dilemma I'm in. Have the cv1 now and casual flying is a joy. However it really is tiresome to use the hornets mfd's for longer flights og I just need a bit more clarity to make the VR superb. 

Now index vs reverb g2. FOV vs clarity.  Anybody coming from cv1 or similar to an index and found the clarity sufficient to read all information on the mfds in the hornet or viper? Maybe moved from an index to reverb g2 and despite the reduced FOV the clarity is just too important to pass? 

On a 1080ti now, will upgrade to 3080ti when avalible. 

The VR headset will be used for dcs and msfs2020 only. 

Best regards

11 hours ago, voucher76 said:

That's exactly the kind of dilemma I'm in. Have the cv1 now and casual flying is a joy. However it really is tiresome to use the hornets mfd's for longer flights og I just need a bit more clarity to make the VR superb. 

Now index vs reverb g2. FOV vs clarity.  Anybody coming from cv1 or similar to an index and found the clarity sufficient to read all information on the mfds in the hornet or viper? Maybe moved from an index to reverb g2 and despite the reduced FOV the clarity is just too important to pass? 

On a 1080ti now, will upgrade to 3080ti when avalible. 

The VR headset will be used for dcs and msfs2020 only. 

Best regards

I switched from a CV1 to a Reverb G2 last month.

Actually only played a couple of short sessions in the CV1 since I couldn't stand not being able to read the instruments without zooming in all the time.

In the Reverb G2 I have up to 5 hour play sessions without any eye strain and I'm very happy with the purchase.

One thing that's not optimal in the G2 is that the sweet spot is kind of limited, so if you want to look at the instruments on the side consoles of the jet, you will have to turn your head a bit so that the instruments are closer to the center of the display.

Everything within the center or close to it is super sharp.

I never tried a Valve Index but the "through the lens" comparisons on Youtube between the G2 and the Index made me pick the G2 due to the superior resolution / picture quality.

Edited by lax22

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

40 minutes ago, lax22 said:

One thing that's not optimal in the G2 is that the sweet spot is kind of limited, so if you want to look at the instruments on the side consoles of the jet, you will have to turn your head a bit so that the instruments are closer to the center of the display.

Everything within the center or close to it is super sharp.

I've been in VR development since Oculus kickstarter and I still don't understand why manufacturers insist on using fresnel lens.  They tell me all the specs and datasheet on why but actual practice is completely opposite.  Vive Pro with GearVR lens mod yields much better image quality than Index.  And it completely eliminates sweet spot.  I can look around cockpit just by rolling my eyes.  And this is huge.

And because there's no sweet spot, I can increase physical IPD to widen FOV.

I was going to upgrade to Index and although it had wider sweet spot, I couldn't give up the benefit Vive Pro with the lens mod offered.  I'll probably wait until next gen to upgrade.

I'm not saying Vive Pro is the best VR.  They don't even make them anymore and even when it was available, the cost was ridiculous due to its "Pro" name tag.  Just wish newer ones would move away from fresnel lens.

Edited by Taz1004

Production costs, just a guess, but, I would imagine that a fresnel lens is cheaper to manufacture than a ground smooth lens....

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg