DCS F18-C not running properly

Laika007

I am flying the F-18C with Thrustmaster HOTAS stick, throttle and rudder. When taxying and flying, the program is very "fidgety" kind of like "stop and go" in split second intervals...not smooth. I have done hard shut downs several times with no improvement. Any suggestions on what is going on and how to address/correct the issue? 

Thanks

We call them stutters. It can have various causes, like a bad storage access speed, a bad pagefile access speed, an antivirus suspecting game files...

Start by adding these 4 folders as exceptions in your antivirus (you may have only 2 of them):

• C:\Users\your-name\Saved Games\DCS\
  • C:\Users\your-name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\
  • \DCS World\
  • \DCS World OpenBeta\

If you keep having stutters after this, we need some material to know what's happening to you:

• dcs.log file ( C:\Users\your-name\Saved Games\DCS...\Logs\dcs.log )
  • dxdiag log (here's how to obtain it)

Last but not least, we'll need screenshots from the Windows Resource Manager taken while you're flying. Here's how to do it.

• Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Flappie, I added two folders to exclusions; C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 folder and C:\Users\my name\Saved Games\DCS folder and I still have stuttering. Attached are the most recent log and the DxDiag file. When taxying and looking at the F18 from the outside, the landing gears are very stuttery.  

dcs.log-20210106-234942.zip DxDiag.txt

Thank you. I see you have only one disk, and it's an NVMe one (=very fast) with 200 GB of free space (=more than enough) and an active pagefile of 13 GB max only. You might want to manually set your pagefile size like this:

• initial size: 16 GB
  • max size: 32GB

The attached zip is missing the dcs.log file. Can you please attach the lastest dcs.log found in the Logs folder? (it may simply show up as "dcs")

Your W10 is not up-to-date by the way (November 2019).

Edited by Flappie

• 4 weeks later...

Flappie, the shuddering is happening again. I got a new VR headset - Valve Index headset kit. I plugged it all in, no problem and got updates on what was needed. I double checked to make sure the files you discuss3d earlier are still in place and, I have 16 and 32 gb. Any ideas on what is causing the shuddering to happen again? When taxiing, the wheels are shuddering and it happens also while flying. 

note: the Valve Index is very nice. I had the VIVE HTC and there was a significant amount of Sceen door effect to the point I could not read the lettering on gushes and dials. It is 200% better, virtually no SDE. 

now if I can get it to run smoothly, all would be great. 

any assistance would be appreciated. 

hi @Laika007 it may be helpful if you post your specifications for cpu, gpu, ram. there are so many variables to contend with. also providing your settings in DCS would be helpful.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Laika007. Sorry, I wasn't monitoring this thread anymore. You can call on me anytime typing "@Flappie".

Is your stuttering as bad as when you opened this thread? Ensure you have enough free space in your drive.

Please attach your latest dcs.log file.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 7:40 PM, Laika007 said:

Would anyone be able to assist me with the shuddering I am having? 

The HTC Vive's native resolution is 1080x1200 per eye.   The Valve Index has a resolution of 1440x1600 per eye, and therefore requires a higher demand from your gpu in order to run at the minimum of 45fps required for motion smoothing from SteamVR.   

Start with a 1.0 PD in DCS, and 100% SS in SteamVR settings for DCS.exe (you can only change this while it's running but you have to restart the game for it to take effect. 

From there you can increase the supersampling settings in SteamVR for the Index to the best balance between performance and image quality.   

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.