Did ISIS have any SAMs?

CommandT

Hi folks,

Can't find any info on this. I'm building some missions in DCS doing strikes on ISIS targets in Syria. Does anyone know if ISIS had any captured operational SAMs? Or does it not go beyond ZSU-23s and MANPADs in terms of air defense? 

Cheers!

I thought I read many years ago they had Man-pads. Not sure what kind but there was concern that they could have Stinger missiles.

I know they had a lot of US stuff that was supposed to be in the Iraq army. Do the insurgents have the Humvee or other US equipment in the mission editor? 

I know they had the Toyota Hilux, with the AAA package. Thats a Mod someone really needs to make to complete this map.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/us-officials-isis-toyota-trucks/story?id=34266539

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CommandT said:

Hi folks,

Can't find any info on this. I'm building some missions in DCS doing strikes on ISIS targets in Syria. Does anyone know if ISIS had any captured operational SAMs? Or does it not go beyond ZSU-23s and MANPADs in terms of air defense? 

Cheers!

Has some "claims" about ISIS take Sa-6 ans SS-1 Scud but that can be anecdotic.
https://missiledefenseadvocacy.org/missile-threat-and-proliferation/todays-missile-threat/non-state-actors/islamic-state-in-iraq-and-syria-isis/

About other insurgence organizations has none confirmed.

• 3 weeks later...

Le armi più comuni usate contro la coalizione multinazionale in Iraq durante la guerriglia irachena tra il 2003 e il 2011 sono state quelle prese dalle riserve di armi di Saddam Hussein distribuite in tutto il Paese; questi includevano fucili d'assalto AKM, mitragliatrici PK e lanciarazzi RPG-7. 

L'ISIS è stato in grado di rafforzare le sue capacità militari catturando una grande quantità di armi di diverso tipo durante la guerra civile siriana e nella guerriglia irachena scoppiata dopo il ritiro delle truppe statunitensi. Questi raid con armi hanno migliorato la capacità del gruppo di eseguire operazioni successive e ottenere attrezzature aggiuntive. 

Le armi che l'ISIS ha ottenuto e utilizzato includono: missili terra-aria Strela-2 e FIM-92 Stinger; Missili anticarro M-79 Osa, HJ-8 e AT-4 Spigot; Artiglieria M-46 da 130 mm e obici M198; Carri armati T-54/55, T-72 e M1 Abrams; Auto blindate Humvee e M1117; camion equipaggiati con mitragliatrici DŠK ZU-23-2 cannoni antiaerei; Lanciarazzi multipli BM-21; almeno un missile Scud. 

Quando l'ISIS ha rilevato l'aeroporto di Mosul nel giugno 2014, ha rubato gli elicotteri Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk e alcuni aerei da trasporto che erano di stanza lì. Secondo Peter Beaumont di The Guardian, sembra improbabile che l'ISIS sarà in grado di schierarli. 

L'ISIS ha anche sequestrato materiale dall'Università di Mosul nel luglio 2014. In una lettera al Segretario generale dell'ONU Ban Ki-moon, l'ambasciatore dell'ONU in Iraq, Muhammad 'Ali al-Hakim, ha progettato che il materiale dell'università "può essere utilizzato per creare armi di distruzione di massa". Tuttavia, gli esperti nucleari considerano la minaccia insignificante. Il portavoce dell'Agenzia internazionale per l'energia atomica Gill Tudor scrive che il materiale rubato era "di bassa qualità e non presenta un rischio significativo per la sicurezza nucleare o la proliferazione". 

L'Isis riceve anche armi dalla 'Ndrangheta, alla quale vengono pagate con reperti archeologici rubati, che la' Ndrangheta vende successivamente al mercato nero. Le armi vengono fornite alla 'Ndrangheta principalmente dalla mafia russa attraverso Ucraina e Moldova. 

Edited by Xilon_x

I guess it is not just a question of equipment but competency to use this equipment as well. You might capture a fighter jet or a complex SAM system, but if your people do not know how to operate it properly, it is only ever useful for propaganda. Shoulder-launched stuff is mostly easy to use I guess, but a complex SAM system with search radar, tracking radar and launchers? Not sure anyone who isn't trained can operate it.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

There are plenty vids on your tube of various aircraft and helicopters being shot down in Syria... there was a Jordanian pilot downed and executed (they claimed mechanical problems, ISIL claimed SAM), also a vid of an SU25 shot down by a AL Quadi group's SAM. (Possible shoulder fired)  Either way one could have a bad day over Syria....

• 1 month later...

Though not ISIS, I've seen field mods done to take Soviet era heat seeking AA missiles, presumably R-60 and R-73, to just be wired up and have a launch rail welded to a frame of some kind on a truck. The first, was a partially disassembled AAA like a 14.5mm or 23mm gun carriage, with the rail mounted in place... turning it into a "Mad Max" style "Charapal" launcher. That conversion was done in the late 90's in what used to be Yugoslavia. A similar conversion was seen in a pic from the uncivil war in Libya. The technical competency required to make such a conversion would be very little, though the lower that competency, the more likely they'd run into problems. To me, the biggest issue would be the operator's safety, as the second example didn't have much protection for the missile's exhaust flames and gasses could burn you really badly, even kill someone.  But it's quite likely they understood this, but decided that the turret aiming was nice, but meant to be aimed in anticipation (front toward enemy), then jump out to the side with 50ft of wire to a switch box, and if you hear a tone, just press the buttons. The downside is it's unlikely to actually properly get a lock on an enemy jet. The upside is, it's dead cheap for such low budget groups, simple to operate, it's totally passive thus no HARM screaming towards you, if it does lock you have a good chance of a shootdown because there's no warning from a pilot's RWR, it's cheap deterent for enemy aircraft. So while I don't believe there's been any photos of ISIS having this type, it's something they could easily achieve. 

A Russian factory version that may have been inspired by the above, was ZU-23M, where two Strella or Igla (MANPADS) were mounted above the barrels, giving it both 23mm shells and two heat seekers! Poland has a very similar upgrade. Finland even took the ZU-23 chassis, and sometimes replaces the cannons with launch rails to shoot 6 Mistral missiles (see the Gazelle helis!). China made something similar, but it's not clear if they fielded any.