{ ED INVESTIGATING } MFD Text and symbology messy with latest update

Foogle

So if im getting this right this is affecting exports only? Our team has a wide selection of VR equipment and so far this seems to be a player/ hardware issue especially if using multimonitor display/ exports. Reported.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [REPORTED] New MFD stroke method causes heavy text bloom when exported

Well, I just fired up the Harrier after today's update, and the blurriness continues ...

However, I was bored (more than usual) and had time, so I decided to do a test of the Gain & Contrast  in 2D and VR. My result where the same for both: Reduce Gain by 50 clicks and Contrast by 10 and the moving map is usable again. The other displays improve as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Draken35 said:

Well, I just fired up the Harrier after today's update, and the blurriness continues ...

However, I was bored (more than usual) and had time, so I decided to do a test of the Gain & Contrast  in 2D and VR. My result where the same for both: Reduce Gain by 50 clicks and Contrast by 10 and the moving map is usable again. The other displays improve as well.

Can confirm. This fixes the problem (pancake and VR). In fact, the clarity might actually be the best it's been (Green, white and Yellow. Other colours are unreadable still)

@RAZBAM_ELMONote this is a general issue, in 2D, VR and exported MFDs. The new black outline on the text, coupled with the reduced letter/symbology spacing makes it unreadable by default in 2D and VR. This seems to be the case for everyone; nobody has responded with "it looks fine" or "it looks better". It's worse across the board, for everyone.

Best current workaround seems to be a 50 click reduction in gain and a 10 click reduction in contrast. This is good enough in 2D and VR to make the Harrier playable again. It's a particular shame because I always appreciated the superiority of the Harrier MFDs compared to the unusable Hornet's (I gather the Hornet is unusable - with a moving map background - in real life too so there's an argument to not change that one) but what little footage I've seen of the ream AV-8B shows that it does have a quite readable MFD with map background.

Edited by netizensmith
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm that the text in VR is now very difficult to read, even when head close to MFD. Some of the stacked characters bleed into each other and the text is blurred.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

I mean, it does help, but why do we need to make 50-100 clicks to make this work?  Surely, the norm is 10.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It's been a week now. Has the developer commented on the results of this change at all?       (@RAZBAM_ELMO)

Also, anyone know if there is a lua file to set the default settings for contrast and gain? I am simply NOT going to sit there there clicking my mouse 60 times every time I want to hop into the Harrier.

Cheers

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

From our lead dev on the matter:

"YEs it is a known issue. it is a problem with the stroke (SVG) system. Fortunately it can be fixed in code, but it is a case by case basis. What is happening is that we are using a fixed thickness and fuzziness value when the display is exported.

static const double thickness_fix = 1 / 0.8;
static const double fuzziness_fix = 1 / 0.5;

if (purpose == CURR_PURPOSE_GENERAL)
{
//Normal stroke processing for inscreen display
}
else
{
//Exported displays values
shaderLineVariableParams.thickness = 8.0 * thickness_fix;
shaderLineVariableParams.fuzziness = 3.0 * fuzziness_fix;
}

So, in the future, we can implement a Special Options that can modify hte fixed value. Unfortunately this cannot be solved for everyone with a single fix as it is a case by case basis.

I am leaving this up here for everyone to share and see so individuals experiencing this issue can adjust as needed for themselves.

• Like 1

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to { FIX } MFD Text and symbology messy with latest update
  • RAZBAM_ELMO pinned this topic

Appreciate the response but seriously, come on mate:

1. I was quite specific that this issue is not just for exported displays

2. Where would someone put the code you specified anyway? If you're gonna tag this with {FIX} for those with exported displays at least tell them what file to put the code in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is very frustrating, when will text go back to something readable like it was in the previous update? It's so fuzzy it is almost unreadable on a Reverb G2, while all other modules like the F/A-18 are readable with smaller text. It was also completely fine before the update, I just don't understand why this can't be fixed.

Thanks for all the posts - i actually prefer the moving map with the black outline. 

The post i was originally relating to was every MFD normal screen, so the menu screen, stores page etc etc

RAZBAM DO YOU INTEND TO JUST IGNORE THIS THREAD ???  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

From what I can see, they only respond to posts in the bugs section. New thread there with a link to here?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

OK, so if they recognise it as a bug, is there any point in carrying on with this thread?

10 hours ago, netizensmith said:

Appreciate the response but seriously, come on mate:

1. I was quite specific that this issue is not just for exported displays

2. Where would someone put the code you specified anyway? If you're gonna tag this with {FIX} for those with exported displays at least tell them what file to put the code in.

+1

May I suggest asking someone who has never seen the Harrier MFD screens in VR before to run the Cold and Dark training mission while in VR.

It it possible that you may not see the extent of the problem in VR if you have any kind of MFD screen muscle memory.

Maybe ED could provide you with examples of how they migrated the F/A-18C, which works well in VR.

• Like 1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52