Reverb G2 problem seems to be backwards

RackMonkey

9 minutes ago, RackMonkey said:

The G2 is my first experience with VR so I'm learning and everything is new to me. I wasn't sure if that was normal or a symptom of a problem. Better to put everything out there and be educated.   

My first Headset too, and I had a similar rig to yours so had similar experience. Seriously, if you haven't already, read Speed-of-Heat's thread https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/257819-my-3090-settings-for-my-g2/ and apply ALL of the suggested optimisations, including kegety's VR shaders. They will improve your FPS and allow motion smoothing to lock more often and for longer.

If you want a decent experience you'll probably need to run terrain textures at medium and shadows off, and set overall Steam SS at somewhere between 50-70% (So that's 100% on the generic default setting and 50-70% on the DCS app specific setting) Ignore the per eye pixel count it shows as they will be inflated figures as it's compensating for barrel distrotion.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Did you remove screen protectors that come with brand new g2? 🙂

Also post screenshots of your steamvr setting both global and per-application for DCS. Also PD settings in DCS and Full/Half resolution settings in WMR settings.

Blurred picture means under sampling. As simple as that.

Edited by VitS

Well, nobody fesses up to running the G2 on a Z100 series chipset. I'm going to take my rig over to a friends Monday. He's running a i5-10600 on a Z490 chipset. I'll see if his HMD will run on my system, it's not a G2. I'll also see if the G2 will run on his system. 

If nothing else I'll see what VR is suppose to look like and if the G2 works on his system I'll start looking for an upgrade to my system.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

I’m starting to see my clarity now with my G2 and played alittle yesterday both single and multiplayer. I don’t see the white circles anymore either after clearing the environment in wmr. I set the res @48 as close to 2160 as I could and repositioned with the straps. I’m getting around 35 to 45fps and running smooth. Inside the cockpit is starting to get nice and crisp. 
I’m gonna be testing again today. I’m starting to see the big hype now yay !

but I’m not sure what to do with the multiplier settings yet.

Edited by Burt
  • Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 2/13/2021 at 7:54 PM, ignition22 said:

It doesn't make any sense that a blurry g2 picture is somehow related to a motherboard chipset.

More likely due to something like DCS being more resource intensive it's causing reprojection and the steam games you tried are designed and optimized for VR.

Unfortunately HP is letting us do the testing they should do. I think you'll agree that the rest of my components should provide enough horsepower to run the G2 without the blurryness...at least on the lowest setting. There's no way to test it though. I just have to rely on others with a 170 or 270 chipset to respond. I haven't heard from any of them though. Those are the only 2 chipsets that will run the i7-7700 and I'm not willing to fork out the money to try a Z270 only to find out it won't work either. 

My friend with the Z490, I5-10600 and 3080 will test the G2 on his system this week and let me know if it works. I can't be there with him to see for myself because he just got contact traced, sooo, he's in quarantine. He is running the Oculus right now so I know his system has the ability to run a lower end VR HMD. I'll post when I find out but my bet is the VR community will just have to declare that Intel's 170 and 270 chipsets won't work worth and damn with the G2.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

DCS is a mess when it comes to VR (Which is a shame because it looks great and could be a humongous money maker for them. I hate the 2d version of the game looks like a PS4 game, no comparison to VR.). Settings matter a lot and differ greatly from one machine to the next. I have a z590 MB, 10900K CPU, 128GB RAM, HP Reverb G2 and a RTX 3080, you would think this setup would be great and it is in every game other than DCS (The one I want to play.). My visuals are blurry too, I've been tweaking this game and throwing hardware at it for over 5 years. One thing that does matter is your Terrain Textures (the Low setting will do a world of good for your setup and really is hardly noticeable.). Good luck (Better hardware is not the solution, I found out the hard way.). VR is really where flight sims are going, I wish DCS would acknowledge this and focus more on VR.

Hey guys, I also own a G2 and this early morning I tried this:

Somehow VR feels better...less strainy for my eyes...

Edit: I have a RTX2060Super and I had like 90fps by turning down the cockpit shadows to flat (looked really bad) and in Steam VR I used the recommended resolution-% (for me it was 68% in "General" tab and "Video" tab), in DCS I set 0.8. The game looks still good for me.

Edited by YMadDog

On 2/16/2021 at 12:50 PM, jeeperz81004 said:

DCS is a mess when it comes to VR (Which is a shame because it looks great and could be a humongous money maker for them. I hate the 2d version of the game looks like a PS4 game, no comparison to VR.). Settings matter a lot and differ greatly from one machine to the next. I have a z590 MB, 10900K CPU, 128GB RAM, HP Reverb G2 and a RTX 3080, you would think this setup would be great and it is in every game other than DCS (The one I want to play.). My visuals are blurry too, I've been tweaking this game and throwing hardware at it for over 5 years. One thing that does matter is your Terrain Textures (the Low setting will do a world of good for your setup and really is hardly noticeable.). Good luck (Better hardware is not the solution, I found out the hard way.). VR is really where flight sims are going, I wish DCS would acknowledge this and focus more on VR.

I didn't really know how to define the term "blurry" so that you would understand so I Googled "vision charts". The 20/100 is the one that come closet to what I'm seeing in DCS. I should say that this blurryness is each eye. It's not a matter of adjusting something like the IPD. I think your right about DCS though. They need to stop new development and fix what they have now. I think VR is going to become more popular and more used as it matures and while most of their users will always be 2D there will be a growing VR community that they can't ignore.

I remember watching a Youtube review of the G1 from a guy who said he could now read the decal on the plane just across the deck from him, I can't even read my instrument 18 inches in front of my face. This tells me that I can get a much better result than what I have know. Since HP isn't going to do any compatibility test it will be up to us to keep the rest of the VR community informed.

Edited by RackMonkey

18 hours ago, YMadDog said:

Hey guys, I also own a G2 and this early morning I tried this:

Somehow VR feels better...less strainy for my eyes...

Edit: I have a RTX2060Super and I had like 90fps by turning down the cockpit shadows to flat (looked really bad) and in Steam VR I used the recommended resolution-% (for me it was 68% in "General" tab and "Video" tab), in DCS I set 0.8. The game looks still good for me.

I'll come back and revisit this when I get my HMD back and see if it has anything to do with my problem.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while but I feel safe in saying that Z170 and 270 chipsets won't support VR. You can see by my sig that I have upgraded my system. I now have at least a workable VR system but the 2070 is running really hard to get any kind of decent output. The 8GB of memory is topped out along with the GPU running at 2000 OC'd and the memory at 7000. 

If your going VR, spend your money on a top end GPU first...if you can find one. Right now that will be all you can afford.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2060 Super and if I reduce my PD I can play with a really acceptable quality and also have enough fps coupled with a good frame time. Just accept the fact that you have to reduce your resolution settings 😇