Jester Elevation Control Proposal. Minor change, big difference.

RPY Variable

I have always flown the F14 most of the time as a RIO, but lately, after some more bindings have been added so as to avoid the Jester menu (distances, TWS and RWS and lock ahead most of all) I've started feeling more comfortable as a pilot. The menu works great, but sometimes when you are on a close encounter Jester menu may not be a good option. 

The thing is that, as a RIO, when I'm looking for bogeys at high altitude I tend to set the radar elevation so as the "top of the cone" is at my same altitude and the rest is below my altitude, that way I use all the potential of my radar scan volume. The same goes when on the deck, but the inverse. I point the bottom of the radar cone at 0 feet so as to use all the available scan volume of the radar. 

The problem is that via Jester menu is quite difficult if not impossible. If you set via Altitude and Distance on the Jester menu, the angles always change depending on my attitude. You need to set various "Altitude at distance" to get there. That feature is great If I know where the bandit is, But if I'm searching for an unknown it is not so useful. So that is where Elevation High / Low / Middle, etc... comes into play. But those angles, like they are now, they are of little to no use. 

What would be absolutely great is to modified the angles of the High, Middle High, Middle, Middle Low, and Low of the Jester Menu. Like they are now, 30° & 12° Up and -40° & -12° down they are way too extreme and they offer a minimal radar scan volume, and also, you are way inside the PAL mode if you have to use more than 20°.

If I know where the bogey is I just use the Altitude at Distance of the Jester menu, but If I don't know, the only useful elevation to use is the Middle options, the other ones have no use at all.

The solution would be to change the elevation angles of the menu (simple implementation, just change a value). Also if Jester set the angles based on the current radar mode, because the angle needs to be a little more when using 8 bars RWS against 4 bars TWS. This last one is not so simple, but it's nothing that Heatblur can't do 😉

I made an illustration which is on scale and shows the current state and what would be like on the proposed situation.

High.jpg

Deck.jpg

This is based on what a human RIO would do if the aircraft scanning at low altitude or high altitude. Like it is right now I find that it has practically no use at all, so (in my opinion) there in nothing to lose. I really hope this get's implements because it seem like a minor thing, but this is doubling the radar scan volume when flying high or low. 

Edit: This is based on the manual -> "1 bar being 2.3°, 2 bars 3.6°, 4 bars 6.3° and 8 bars 11.5°"

Edited by mikel.132
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Interl i7 6700k - 32Gb RAM DDR4 - RX 590 8GB - Sentey 32"2560x1440 - Saitek X-55 - TrackIr 3

That's a very good proposal, I hope it's going to be considered by the HB team.

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

It was proposed numerous times before and we were told they'll look into it at the end of EA, after Jester learns the LANTIRN.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, RPY Variable said:

I bet that no one ever uses the elevation function other than center, because al the others are way to extreme.

No, there is this great option to set elevation for set alt and range if needed.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

47 minutes ago, Zaphael said:

I hope this is implemented too. No wonder it gets easier to lose bandits who notch at 20-30 miles out. 

The current workaround is to fly co-alt with bandit as range decreases I guess. 

This will definitely get implemented in the course of the Jester overhaul. The current med-high-low quick select is bonkers as can be. Our apologies that it takes a while.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

54 minutes ago, IronMike said:

This will definitely get implemented in the course of the Jester overhaul. The current med-high-low quick select is bonkers as can be. Our apologies that it takes a while.

Thanks!

Interl i7 6700k - 32Gb RAM DDR4 - RX 590 8GB - Sentey 32"2560x1440 - Saitek X-55 - TrackIr 3