VR Performance Abysmal

I just wanted to come on here and report that despite lowering settings to a point I have never lowered for any other mission or campaign, The performance on MANY missions is straight unplayable. Lowering settings anymore is not gonna make a difference. I own every module, campaign and 3rd party mods ever sold for DCS. Every single one.  On Mission 10 my FPS goes into 1 frame a minute towards the end. I have finished other campaigns, including Baltic Dragon's FA 18 campaigns, full Super carrier, voice attack, and much higher settings. Even on missions that promise to lower the amount of AI in the beginning go into single digits. On my live streams I am constantly apologizing to viewers because the objects are just WAY too many for VR play. I mean, we aren't in the same ballpark, not even the same city or state compared to more fluid VR campaigns.

I'm especially bummed cuz I setup a FW-190 cockpit for my hardware cockpit and spent weeks getting used to the 190 for this campaign. My experience is just Abysmal and I have a 1 year old custom RTX 2060 laptop that plays other sims and other DCS campaigns smooth as butter.

HP laptop, RTX 2060, Core i79750 2.6 ghz maxed out 32 gb RAM, with 500 GB SSD and 1 TB Hardrive.  Of course Windsows 10 and DCS OB latest patch

Any other suggestions besides lowering graphic settings would be great!

Edited by Fang333333

As I replied to you in the other thread, the Channel map needs a LOT of optimization. Do not compare it to older maps that are virtually empty.

Also, do not compare it to modern day campaigns that have far less aircraft in the air. You can't have a proper WWII air battle with 4-8 aircraft.

Also, if it turns into a 1 FPS slideshow that's clearly either a bug or a hardware issue, not the campaign's fault.

Actually it's the former. Currently, explosions and smoke effects can turn the game into a slide show. I recorded tracks of it, sent to ED, they were able to reproduce. If you send me a track I can forward it to them.

Finally, please have a look at the system specs recently posted by ED. It came as sad news to me, I have a similar laptop to yours. A 1070 is the minimum now.

So please post a screenshot of your DCS settings, and please post a track if you notice the slide-show thing again.

Also, the more specifics you give me the more easily I can check. Mission 10 is the Göring mission, right? Towards the end there are only 4 aircraft in the air, and 3 vehicles on the road. I'm pretty sure it's those smoke columns that got bugged - in which case ED is already on it, but the more tracks the better, I can help push for a solution.

• Thanks 1

GPU

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

• ED Team

RTX 2060 is 6GB VRAM correct? 
Can you take a screenshot of your dcs settings? 

And I know you dont want to lower settings, but it maybe the only way. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 3/2/2021 at 1:26 PM, BIGNEWY said:

RTX 2060 is 6GB VRAM correct? 
Can you take a screenshot of your dcs settings? 

And I know you dont want to lower settings, but it maybe the only way. 

thanks

Hi BigNewy its been awhile!

Yes it is the 6 gb. The boys have made some suggestions on the forum "Hows Performance". The bomb craters and AI bring mission 11 to a crawl. Just unplayable. BigNewy, I have a side question for you since getting you on the forums can be a little hard. Is there ANYWAY you could check with the team and see if I can change the game play window from the left eye to the right? I had posted this in the forums weeks ago and not a person had a suggestion. I desperately need to figure out how to  do that for streaming purposes. Any suggestions on the campaign would be great too!

Thanks

Fang

Screenshot (1015).png

On 3/2/2021 at 12:09 PM, Reflected said:

Also, the more specifics you give me the more easily I can check. Mission 10 is the Göring mission, right? Towards the end there are only 4 aircraft in the air, and 3 vehicles on the road. I'm pretty sure it's those smoke columns that got bugged - in which case ED is already on it, but the more tracks the better, I can help push for a solution.

Yeah that sounds about right. I went onto Mission 11 and it is just not doable so far.  Thanks reflection

• ED Team

Some observations.

res of cockpit frames - every frame will lower fps

using SSAA will lower FPS

MSAA will lower FPS

Anistropic filtering will lower FPS

My advice would be to use Anistropic filtering only x4, turn off SSAA and MSAA, use medium terrain textures it will be easier on your VRAM, and dont use every frame on res of cockpit displays.  

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@BIGNEWY It seems that 'shelling zone' triggers got corrupted somewhere along the road, and they do cause a big FPS hit. I reproduced in a virgin mission and posted it in the closed section with a track.

In the meantime I removed the 'Shelling zone' triggers from missions 11 and 12, and replaced them with artillery firing . Not as dramatic, but no performance hit either. I will submit it along with many other fixes and updates for 2.7

Edited by Reflected

1 hour ago, Fang333333 said:

Hi BigNewy its been awhile!

Yes it is the 6 gb. The boys have made some suggestions on the forum "Hows Performance". The bomb craters and AI bring mission 11 to a crawl. Just unplayable. BigNewy, I have a side question for you since getting you on the forums can be a little hard. Is there ANYWAY you could check with the team and see if I can change the game play window from the left eye to the right? I had posted this in the forums weeks ago and not a person had a suggestion. I desperately need to figure out how to  do that for streaming purposes. Any suggestions on the campaign would be great too!

Thanks

Fang

Screenshot (1015).png

Yeah that sounds about right. I went onto Mission 11 and it is just not doable so far.  Thanks reflection

Ive a 2080ti, with an i9 and not even i can get steady frames on the Channel (Im talking even 2D not just VR).
Im not complaining- I just think that your expectations are way too high for the hardware you have..

Alot of people in hoggit seem to hike up all the resource heavy settings and then get upset because they cant achieve 90FPS.
Its just not realistic yet. No one is delivering any game in VR on high settings, with huge textures..
Even on my laptop, ive an i7 with a 2070, and i have to play the game on low, with that hardware.
Heres my settings.. by comparison.

image.png

Turn off global illumination, Turn off SSAA, MSAA down or off.. Res of cockpit- is a resource killer and i turn off every frame and even lower the res, as i can read the cockpit in my quest.
Textures on high is a definite no, unless you lock your VR headset to 30 FPS, in Oculus Tray Tool or similar.

Basically i click VR then increase Aniso- Filtering and add MSAA followed by pushing the max the visib range, for me, running it on Extreme only changes FPS by a couple, texture increases changes my FPS by 10-15.

I think your settings are unrealistic for your hardware.
Im sorry if this is bad news, but i hope it helps you in the right direction to enjoy the game..

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 8:46 PM, StevanJ said:

Ive a 2080ti, with an i9 and not even i can get steady frames on the Channel (Im talking even 2D not just VR).
Im not complaining- I just think that your expectations are way too high for the hardware you have..

Alot of people in hoggit seem to hike up all the resource heavy settings and then get upset because they cant achieve 90FPS.
Its just not realistic yet. No one is delivering any game in VR on high settings, with huge textures..
Even on my laptop, ive an i7 with a 2070, and i have to play the game on low, with that hardware.
Heres my settings.. by comparison.

image.png

Turn off global illumination, Turn off SSAA, MSAA down or off.. Res of cockpit- is a resource killer and i turn off every frame and even lower the res, as i can read the cockpit in my quest.
Textures on high is a definite no, unless you lock your VR headset to 30 FPS, in Oculus Tray Tool or similar.

Basically i click VR then increase Aniso- Filtering and add MSAA followed by pushing the max the visib range, for me, running it on Extreme only changes FPS by a couple, texture increases changes my FPS by 10-15.

I think your settings are unrealistic for your hardware.
Im sorry if this is bad news, but i hope it helps you in the right direction to enjoy the game..

Yea totally agree with this, my earlier comment was a bit brief and not very helpful in hindsight just saying GPU but that;s what i meant - expecting too much.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news to the original OP but realistically your card is real borderline id say for DCS, its just so damn demanding.

I have a similar system re 2080ti and for me in VR the channel map is by far the most demanding of any map we have.  All the others including Syria run far far better.  I have no idea what the reason is for this but given that a 2080ti is as of 5 months ago the best card you could get it i just feel like something is wrong with this map.  Needs real optimization or something.  Something somewher isnt right though as i think Syria is just as detailed, if not more so and that runs far far better on a much bigger map.

I was hoping it was going to be like the Normandy map that came out, had issues , got optimized and now runs really smooth.  To note i think its the main reason why no one uses the channel map its just not feasible by any stretch MP wise with complexities thrown in.  I was surpirsed to read on one of the news letters that basically the map was nearly finished.  For me its my only module i do not get any joy out of or value (i own everything except Christian Eagle and Yak).

FIngers crossed they find some time later in the year to sort out and revisit and its a great potential but in its current format i just can not see it working (Perhaps a 3080/3090 not that you can buy them)!

Edit - i suspect it might be the building texture detail - think they went a bit overboard as cannot see indivdual bricks at 300 mph etc but the level of detail if say in CA is unreal!  As i said think it needs a total rework / revist of what is causing the problem as its a shame as reflected has made a great campaign but in VR the base map just is too much before adding the scripting ontop.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK
  • Like 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I agree it is way too detailed with seemingly not enough optimization yet. But as you said the story was the same with Normandy, and eventually they optimized it, and now it runs smooth as butter.

And the Channel map just looks so amazing, I never even dreamed of flying warbirds over such a beautiful map. So I thought I better place my bet on it, and use it for campaigns then wait for optimization rather than build campaigns for more 'outdated' maps just for the better performance, then regret later. You know, you can't move a mission from one map to the other, you have to rebuild from scratch.

Lastly, once again, the performance of my campaigns comes from 3 factors:

- mission optimization - I'm about to release some tweaks

- DCS - after all it's still DCS, I'm not re-writing any code, I only use the mission editor.

- Your rig

I'm doing as much as I can with regards to the first item, but have no control over the other 2.

• Thanks 1

Hey reflected i only purchased the campaign because i have played your other excellent campaigns and wanted to support the project.  I bought in when it came out knowing it would be one of those to wait for the map to catch up re VR.  Agree with your thought process also, and purchased with the foresight that they cannot leave the map in its current format.  So much detail just not needed for flying along, just really hoping for ED to optimise in a sensible matter over the next year or so, fingers crossed.  I think they will have to do something as you only have to look at the lack of uptake for MP on this map tells you there is a problem with it, which is a shame as you say as it is stunning, just not all that detial actually adds to it over fps!

Edited by Hawkeye_UK

DCS & BMS