Harrier Cold Start Broken since March 5 update

Amahvan

Unable to generate RPMs in cold start on airfield or LHD. Tested in both Multiplayer and single player. 

Engine spools during normal startup process, but RPMs never appear. 

Strangely, the workaround is using autostart (which uses the same procedures that don't work when manually completed). Autostart is not allowed on The War Server, so my plane is out until the bug is fixed. 

Don't have a track file on hand on my phone, but I'll hop back on later and add it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This happened to me today but the above fixes aren't working.  Last night everything was fine.  Tried to cold start this morning and the engine won't crank when the start switch is flipped.  APU starts  normally.

I recalibrated my throttle (Virpil), reduced the X and Y saturation to 90% then and again at 80%, tried another module and the throttle is working fine. I restarted Windows with no change.

I hear the sound of the engine but the engine monitor shows 000 rpm.

I also started the mission hot start on the ramp.  Engine works fine.

THEN, I noticed that I could not shut off the engine with the throttle cutoff lever and I could move the throttle lever through it's full range regardless of which position the throttle cutoff lever was in. I don't have the cutoff lever mapped and I don't have any other mappings on the throttle lever beyond the axis.

AV8B No start.trk AV8B No cutoff.trk

Edited by Andurula
added details and track files

its your setup.  try setting back to 100%, redo virpil config and windows config.  Either that or your mapping is off.  to go from idle to off you can see the lever sticking out of the throttle.  I have virpil and usually have to go from idle to off to get engine spooling then push up to idle

Hmmm... well, I did calibrate several times already and I did it again before responding just to make sure..  I also double checked my keybindings and axis bindings with no conflicts.

It does sound like a setup issue though.

I messed around with it some more and found out I am spawning in with the throttle out of the stop detent.  If I spawn in, push the throttle forward against the parking brake stop, then flip the cutoff switch the throttle then jumps back into the cutoff position and I can start normally.  If I spawn in and just try to flip the cutoff switch nothing happens.  I have to push the throttle forward and then flip the cutoff lever to get the throttle to got into the cutoff position. 

20 hours ago, ddwg72 said:

I have virpil and usually have to go from idle to off to get engine spooling then push up to idle

I guess this is what you are saying too.

Thanks for the help.

It was so iffy if it did it for me or not I just added it to my startup.. Get in the adjust throttle to where it needs to be then do the rest of the startup.  Glad it worked out for you

• Thanks 1

btw its part of the real before start up check list to disable parking brake and move throttle all the way to the front and back to cut off, to check if there is any mechanical problems

On 5/2/2021 at 8:18 AM, Andurula said:

This happened to me today but the above fixes aren't working.  Last night everything was fine.  Tried to cold start this morning and the engine won't crank when the start switch is flipped.  APU starts  normally.

I recalibrated my throttle (Virpil), reduced the X and Y saturation to 90% then and again at 80%, tried another module and the throttle is working fine. I restarted Windows with no change.

I hear the sound of the engine but the engine monitor shows 000 rpm.

I also started the mission hot start on the ramp.  Engine works fine.

THEN, I noticed that I could not shut off the engine with the throttle cutoff lever and I could move the throttle lever through it's full range regardless of which position the throttle cutoff lever was in. I don't have the cutoff lever mapped and I don't have any other mappings on the throttle lever beyond the axis.

AV8B No start.trk 442.39 kB · 0 downloads AV8B No cutoff.trk 204.34 kB · 1 download

I have a virpil throttle. I originally followed @imacken guide in the Virpil section of the ED forum.

do you have physical detents set up on the throttle? Have you set the deadzone for the lower detent? You should use x saturation for the high detent. Verify it works by the axis tune chart or the axis config screen. Make sure the white line moves full end to end. I also use the Virpil software axis to button for the throttle cutoff switch. Which should be below your bottom detent value. Mine is a deadzone of 5 based on the 5% in the Virpil software throttle position. My axis to button is 3-4% setting in the Virpil software. Bind that throttle movement to the cutoff switch.

let me know if you need more help.

Edited by JIGGAwest

On 5/6/2021 at 12:20 PM, myHelljumper said:

Hey guys, is this resolved ?

I have not flown the Harrier since my post, because the issue happened between flights mid-game. I'm now an F-14 guy thanks to the Harrier having a bug.

Edited by Amahvan
adding quote.

JIGGAwest

On 5/10/2021 at 12:09 PM, JIGGAwest said:

I have a virpil throttle. I originally followed @imacken guide in the Virpil section of the ED forum.

do you have physical detents set up on the throttle? Have you set the deadzone for the lower detent? You should use x saturation for the high detent. Verify it works by the axis tune chart or the axis config screen. Make sure the white line moves full end to end. I also use the Virpil software axis to button for the throttle cutoff switch. Which should be below your bottom detent value. Mine is a deadzone of 5 based on the 5% in the Virpil software throttle position. My axis to button is 3-4% setting in the Virpil software. Bind that throttle movement to the cutoff switch.

let me know if you need more help.

No physical detents, reduced saturation on both axis (one at a time) at first a little then alot to see what was happening.  Nothing changed.

The answer for me is what ddwg72 does. I physically set the throttle lever in the cockpit back to where it is supposed to be (and used to be) on spawn in.

Around the same time this problem started, I noticed when spawning into the Huey that the collective starts mid position and goes down when I jiggle my throttle which is bound to the collective axis.  Makes for an interesting experience when the server has hot spawns and the Huey is taking off the moment you spawn in.  For that one I learned to move my throttle up before spawning in (X52 for that one not the Virpil so its not a Virpil issue)  and then the moment I spawn in, jam the throttle down so that the first thing the server sees is the "collective" moving down.

On 5/11/2021 at 10:49 PM, Amahvan said:

I have not flown the Harrier since my post, because the issue happened between flights mid-game. I'm now an F-14 guy thanks to the Harrier having a bug.

I don't think it's the harrier, otherwise nobody would be using it. I fly it daily. Maybe it's your control setup. Have you tried to move throttle to idle using keyboard? 

• 2 weeks later...

Since the latest update I can't get the Engine to start either. RPM's never go up. I started up the Harrier the day of 2.7, worked just fine.

Now, engines never start. 

Any suggestions or is this a bug? I've tried the using the keyboard for throttle but to no avail.

Edited by Radsr30

I9-10900K CPU at 5.0 GHz, 32GB 3600 RAM, Nvidia 2080 Super

1 TB WD NVMe SSD, 2 TB WD NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, TM Warthog

Here's my track file

The throttle doesn't move and the Fuel Cutoff Switch has disappeared again. I did a full repair and it reappeared for 1 mission then poof.

Thanks

av8b_startup_fail.trk

Edited by Radsr30

Hi Radsr30,

I have checked your track. The reason why does not start is because your lever is not in the cutoff position. Lift up the cutoff lever and move your thorttle backwards. This will make begin the start up sequence.  

Hornet81

1Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.05.25 - 23.32.44.20.png

Edited by Hornet81
  • Like 1

I'll give that a try, thanks!

It doesn't show on my screen, which I figured might be the issue.

thanks again.