Cloud bugs - strange pattern, LOD edges

I love those new clouds!!

Two things I discovered which I have not seen mentioned before (Syria Map):

1. Overcast and Rain 3: (not seen in any other overcast and Rain preset)

In any other than ULTRA-Clouds setting the higher cloud appear in a strange pattern. In pic01_* you can see it. The ULTRA-Setting looks like the middle part of the clouds - no repetitive and strangely angled pattern. The position of those pattern is identical in every nonULTRA setting.

2. Box of detailed Clouds around the plane:

It looks like there is a box around the plane in which higher detailed clouds are rendered. The edge seems to stick to the plane. This is way more promenent in motion than on pictures - thus highlighted by the red lining. (pic02* - pic04*)

This is present in all Cloud settings, just barely visible in ULTRA, promenent in the other.

Until now found in all Overcast and Rain presets. Not tested in the other presets.

But again - those clouds are awesome!!

All the best 🙂

pic01_OaR3_artifacts_nonULTRA.png

pic02_Screen_210415_072001.jpg

pic03_Screen_210415_073802_jpg.jpg

f16_cloud_bug.trk

pic04_.png

Edited by SirJ
added trk-file

On 4/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, SirJ said:

I love those new clouds!!

Two things I discovered which I have not seen mentioned before (Syria Map):

1. Overcast and Rain 3: (not seen in any other overcast and Rain preset)

In any other than ULTRA-Clouds setting the higher cloud appear in a strange pattern. In pic01_* you can see it. The ULTRA-Setting looks like the middle part of the clouds - no repetitive and strangely angled pattern. The position of those pattern is identical in every nonULTRA setting.

2. Box of detailed Clouds around the plane:

It looks like there is a box around the plane in which higher detailed clouds are rendered. The edge seems to stick to the plane. This is way more promenent in motion than on pictures - thus highlighted by the red lining. (pic02* - pic04*)

This is present in all Cloud settings, just barely visible in ULTRA, promenent in the other.

Until now found in all Overcast and Rain presets. Not tested in the other presets.

But again - those clouds are awesome!!

All the best 🙂

pic01_OaR3_artifacts_nonULTRA.png

pic02_Screen_210415_072001.jpg

pic03_Screen_210415_073802_jpg.jpg

f16_cloud_bug.trk 338.53 kB · 1 download

pic04_.png

Can confirm having seen the pattern from screenshot 1 in VR (Reverb (G1)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks just saw this today after the update. Really pronounced when viewing dogfights or target lock view externally. You can see the rectangular box in all the strange clipped edges on the clouds, matched to the aircraft/camera center point. So much so you can see gaps in the clouds with sky showing through. I'll grab a screenshot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

Maybe this is a different issue but here is what I see. I'll check my settings too.

Screen_210505_190815.png

Screen_210505_190825.png

Screen_210505_190839.png

Screen_210505_191120.png

Edited by Squiffy
add text

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Another in cockpit view. Got a game crash on loading the viewing track afterward in game. Error report sent via DCS.Screen_210505_192749.png

Edited by Squiffy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

I also having patterns in distant clouds (horizontal lines) in DCS OpenBeta 2.7.1.6430 - please see attached screenshot (gives an idea but in reality it looks worse)
My resolution is 3440 x 1440image.png

Edited by jetsimace

It isn't really a bug, it's how she goes.

I'm fine with it as long as they fix the clunky looking clouds near the center of the HUD. It's really noticeable when you roll a bit. They're still a massive improvement over the old clouds!

AD

• Like 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

On 5/6/2021 at 1:15 AM, Squiffy said:

Maybe this is a different issue

It isn't :) It's the exact same thing which was mentioned in the list of Known Issues in the original 2.7 patch notes.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

On 5/25/2021 at 11:09 AM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

It isn't 🙂 It's the exact same thing which was mentioned in the list of Known Issues in the original 2.7 patch notes.

DOH! 😆 Thanks! 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But you know, the notes don't really address the "skybox" issue and edge dithering, not on the horizon, not VR. Maybe these points were meant to be more broad?

Known Issues

• Users may see some vertical ‘jittering’ when looking at distant clouds - This is more visible in VR and we are working to resolve it as a priority.
  • There are Anti-aliasing artefacts visible under some conditions when clouds are low on the horizon.
  • The lighting effects on the clouds, especially when the sun is low on the horizon is still very much a WIP, and will be improved.
  • Currently as part of the initial release, clouds do not affect LOS for the AI.
  • The legacy fog effects are not suitable for use with the new clouds - a new fog layer using the new technology will follow.
  • Thunderstorms and lightning effects will follow in future updates.
  • Using SLAM/AGM-65E alongside targeting pod can in some circumstances result in some ground units becoming semi-transparent to the targeting pod. This is currently a priority item to resolve.
  • We have greatly improved many of the visual effects, and some tuning of brightness still remains to be completed.
  • Night vision goggles do not provide sufficient illumination with no moonlight.
  • Dedicated server window can hang when minimised.
  • MP. Ping info missing (always zero) in player's list.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]