Database modding

On 4/15/2021 at 6:37 AM, Nightstorm said:

... The reason mods used these files is because attempting to edit them via the saved games was ignored and had no affect.

@NineLine@BIGNEWY

This would be an excellent path forward in re: to how modding can be kept viable going forward. Is there is a way to properly support the Saved Games folder route with more control to input data over core game files?

Edited by PetRock
words
  • Like 1

• ED Team

We will look into ways to help modders, but this change was necessary to ensure a level playing field for all. 

thanks

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

We will look into ways to help modders, but this change was necessary to ensure a level playing field for all. 

thanks

I take it that our own wepons for our own mods ( say my sea cats) would still work and it only effects the base weapons

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2021 at 9:53 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

There were integrity checks for multiplayer, right?

Also, people choose to tweak their game data. Those who want a "level playing field" can simply not edit the files!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dear ED,

I am not happy about it, it definitely diminishes the user community experience.

Apart from buying the ED mods, trying out my own quirky mods, is a essential part of my own personal DCS experience.

Specially when it comes to 4th gen Russian fighters, The FC3 bit is ok, but it lacks a lot of weapons and has it own limits with fidelity.

Either ED needs to commit to Full-Fidelity Russian 4th gen modules, such as Su-30 family and MiG-29K & 35, or give us back the lua files, at least it won't make the Russian FC3 modules so wanting and needing.  

Thanks

Edited by sidwilson
Spell check
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

With the recent changes implemented for IC compliance regarding multi-player.  

I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.....could access to the database files be restored for single play modding purposes?

I'd settle for access to only ONE 😉  the db_callnames.lua file that was located under Scripts\Database.

I REALLY miss having more call signs available.  The mod even had an audio component that worked out of your saved games but that file had to be modified for it to work.  

Pretty please?

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2021 at 12:41 PM, Eight Ball said:

Been a member here for more than 10 years and I dont remember anyone asking for this. I can't find a single thread on the subject either.

I never thought I'd witness the collapse of 2 parallel universes into one. What a weird experience...

I must be from the universe where this was a problem because one of the biggest cheating issues I used to encounter online was people using impossible weapon loadouts.

I plainly understand why access to this would have been removed. That said I think it should be possible for the server host to check these files and make sure they match what the server has, and if they don't, then disallow the person from joining. I could have sworn such functionality existed for some servers, though they required external plugins at the time.

I just hope the ability to add and edit countries and selectable paintjobs is still intact.

Edited by Spades_Neil

• 1 month later...

The Force is strong in this one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

Oh here's a thought... what about .lua's? Can they still be edited? If so, I may still update as I think the M50 shells were updated to a higher mv. If we can still edit down the barrel warp in the Sabre I may go ahead and update. 902 m/s is still better than the 870 or 890 but if that change was already made to the weapons.lua I may live with it. Honestly the only thing holding me back beyond that is the frustrating loop AI where the Sabre just doesn't have the thrust to follow the Ace/Aerobatics champ flight control at the top. I must admit though, that even with the higher speed and g AI circles, having a bit more mv would be helpful. It's just wicked boring to go chasing so called Rookie MiGs all day or knife fighting until you land enough gravel on his ship to take him out. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

• 11 months later...