Water is reflecting clouds in 2.7

netizensmith

As title. It looks weird and wrong to me. Is this intentional?

The way the sea looks has quite obviously changed. Maybe (cloud reflections aside) it is more realistic now but it has caused me to crash into the sea several times because the see looks the same at 1000ft as it does at 10ft.

• Like 1

Same problem here. Besides the new water textures look awfully greenish and similar to an old stable 2.5 version where the 3d rendering of the water surface is very dull, and wind doesn't seem to affect the waves and white caps are absent

• Like 1

i9-9900K GeForce RTX2080Ti 3.6Ghz stock boost to 5.0GHz, 64Gb RAM Kingston DDR4, DCS on SSD Kingston SA10008480G, LG monitor 144Hz 34" curved, TrackIR 5

TM Warthog HOTAS, TM TPR Pendular Rudder

Yes Its a big problem. the reflections screw the sense of altitude and distance.

Besides utterly unrealistic, the Sea at least is never ever so still that acts like a mirror... maybe light, (sun and moon) but i have never ever seen clouds reflected on the sea.

• Thanks 1

How often it can happen does not matter - it does happen and the sea is flat then. That was my only point but I'm with you that the sea should have the option to change state - waves. Since it was possible before - I'm sure it will be given to us with future updates.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Increase the wind and you will start to see waves. It helps break up the water and see where the water is at.

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

On 4/18/2021 at 9:48 PM, netizensmith said:

As title. It looks weird and wrong to me. Is this intentional?

The way the sea looks has quite obviously changed. Maybe (cloud reflections aside) it is more realistic now but it has caused me to crash into the sea several times because the see looks the same at 1000ft as it does at 10ft.

before.jpg
After:
after.jpg
Reflections:
sea.jpgsweet.jpg

Everyones raving about the clouds, and im just looking at the shadows..

Edited by StevanJ

I think the issue is when we strive for realism in some areas, without being able to achieve it in others. For example, it is determined that at some altitude with little wind we should not render any texture at 1080p. In real life a Pilot doesn't see in 1080p, or even 4k. Their ability to move their head around and the massively increased resolution and nuances detectable by the human eye are able to convey that texture in some way. We must compromise on the realism sadly. I would say the old renderings are indeed a bit in the wrong direction regarding textures, wave peaks etc. but that the new rendering has gone too far in the other direction. Regarding realism the same issue exists with the sound of the aircraft; we need exaggerated noises to compensate for our inability to feel what the airframe is doing.