L-39C has noticeable adverse yaw - is it an error in Flight Model?

VinceB434

I am a pilot IRL, new to DCS, and am finding it very challenging.  I selected the L-39C as my first module, since I have a dozen hours in two real L-39's, and I have no flight time in any of the other modules (except the Christen Eagle).

In the DCS L-39, when making line-up corrections on short final, I roll left and the nose yaws right (the wrong way) initially before tracking left. Same for roll right.  At 200 knots level, half-aileron results in the ball moving a full width out-of-place.  These are the classic symptoms of adverse yaw.  Not enough rudder being co-ordinated with the ailerons.   Almost all prop planes (and all gliders) have some amount of adverse yaw.

The trouble is: real L-39's have NO adverse yaw, none, and need NO co-ordination of the rudder with the ailerons.  (Like almost all jets, I've been told. I wouldn't know.  The L-39 is the only real jet I have flown). I would not care about most flight model errors. But  I do this one, because I notice it every time I move the stick, and it impacts the basic control of the aircraft.

I don't have rudder pedals yet, and applying just the right amount of stick twist is very challenging. And I should not have to be adding rudder in the first place to fly this aircraft.   I assume there is an error in the Flight Model?  The module has always been like this, and I just need to get used to it? Or it's a new bug that's appeared?  Or I have the controls set up improperly?  Or it's something else?

Like I said, I am brand new to DCS.  Can someone more DCS experienced that me (that would be anyone) help me with what is going on? 

• Like 3

The adverse yaw was there 5 years ago when I bought this module, so I think it's always been like that. Can't comment on the amount of it - I just got used to it and I'd recommend doing the same.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thank you so much Art-J !

You have

1) validated that I am not the only one who is aware of this.

2) and that the "fix" is to get used to it !  (Which is fine with me. I just wanted to know what was going on.)

Now I just have to figure out which rudder pedals to buy.

Thanks again !

• 6 months later...
On 5/17/2021 at 1:42 AM, VinceB434 said:

I am a pilot IRL, new to DCS, and am finding it very challenging.  I selected the L-39C as my first module, since I have a dozen hours in two real L-39's, and I have no flight time in any of the other modules (except the Christen Eagle).

In the DCS L-39, when making line-up corrections on short final, I roll left and the nose yaws right (the wrong way) initially before tracking left. Same for roll right.  At 200 knots level, half-aileron results in the ball moving a full width out-of-place.  These are the classic symptoms of adverse yaw.  Not enough rudder being co-ordinated with the ailerons.   Almost all prop planes (and all gliders) have some amount of adverse yaw.

The trouble is: real L-39's have NO adverse yaw, none, and need NO co-ordination of the rudder with the ailerons.  (Like almost all jets, I've been told. I wouldn't know.  The L-39 is the only real jet I have flown). I would not care about most flight model errors. But  I do this one, because I notice it every time I move the stick, and it impacts the basic control of the aircraft.

I don't have rudder pedals yet, and applying just the right amount of stick twist is very challenging. And I should not have to be adding rudder in the first place to fly this aircraft.   I assume there is an error in the Flight Model?  The module has always been like this, and I just need to get used to it? Or it's a new bug that's appeared?  Or I have the controls set up improperly?  Or it's something else?

Like I said, I am brand new to DCS.  Can someone more DCS experienced that me (that would be anyone) help me with what is going on? 

You must be new here... 😁

If you want to pick at a FM you have to provide real solid evidence, not just "feelings".
Don't get me wrong I mean this respectfully and only say this to try to help you get your issue dealt with effectively. No snark intended. I am curious now as you have irl experience and most do not but without "evidence" it won't get looked at too hard...generally speaking.

What folks tend to do is chart real world test results vs. in-sim testing and compare and point out to the devs where it is wrong. Without this the answer will generally be "correct as is"

In terms of your twist stick issue, you generally will never use 100% twist/rudder except from on the ground and even then it can be avoided. So what you could try is reducing the "Saturation" of the axis to around 70-80% and dial in a curve of, say, 20-30%. This will allow you much more finite control for those awkward moments.

All the best dude.

On 12/20/2021 at 3:18 AM, IcedVenom said:

L-39 we have in DCS is quite accurate to the real life one. Adverse yaw is accurate.

Did you fail to notice that OP flew an actual L-39, did you ignore that piece of information, or are you insinuating that they are lying or incompetent? This coincides with other SME statements (

) and even Yo-Yo agrees (

) that adverse yaw shouldn't be a factor. This is how it is in the vast majority of fast jets even without an FCS.

• Like 1